Explorer 8

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Just upgraded and every time I move to a new screen there's a crack of a whip sound.

Anyone know how to disable this please?

Cheers

Dustydog

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
In the control panel there is a sounds icon, click on this and select the sounds tab at the top. Scroll down to Windows Explorer and you will see a "start navigation" with a speaker icon. Highlight this and the test button underneath will become active. Try the test button and you should hear the whipcrack sound, if so scroll up in the select button and select the "none" option and the sound will go.

Joe

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
It drove me mad, too, Dustydog - so I removed Explorer 8 and went back to Explorer 7! I found using 8 that I couldn't access the Caravan Club website or certain other websites, either, and despite everyone else saying there was no problem, I found that returning to 7 got me back into the Caravan Club and the others!

Mar 24, 2009
Visit site
Hi Dustydog, haven't got ie8 but try this or something like this should perhaps sort it.

-Go to Start, Settings, Control Panel, Sounds and Audio Devices, Click on Mute Speakers if you want to.

-On the same screen, click on the Sounds tab, Select No Sounds, scroll down in the Windows Events to find Default Beep.

-Highlight Default Beep, click on Browse button below the Windows Events box, go to C:WindowsMedia, Select "DefaultSilence".

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Joe Chris

Many thanks for your help.It worked. I'm an absolute IT ignoramous.

If Explorer gives me grief I'll do what Val did.

How do I get rid of 8 and go back to Explorer 7??

Sorry to be such a thicko.

Cheers

Dustydog

Nov 29, 2007
Visit site
Every time I log on I get a box inviting me to install IE8. I don't want to but the only options are "install now" or "remind me later". Anyone know how to cancel the reminder permanently?

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
Hi Chrisbee

If you go to Windows update

http://www.update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us
then when it's loaded click on 'custom' tab,when that's done in the left hand column click on 'Software,Optional'. Look down the list and click on the + sign next to 'Internet Explorer 8 for Windows' then put a tick in the box 'Don't show this update again'.

By the way Dustydog, if you uninstall IE8 as described by Chris you will go back to IE7 without having to re-install it.

Regards

Mike

Nov 29, 2007
Visit site
Hi Chrisbee

If you go to Windows update

http://www.update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us
then when it's loaded click on 'custom' tab,when that's done in the left hand column click on 'Software,Optional'. Look down the list and click on the + sign next to 'Internet Explorer 8 for Windows' then put a tick in the box 'Don't show this update again'.

By the way Dustydog, if you uninstall IE8 as described by Chris you will go back to IE7 without having to re-install it.

Regards

Mike
Thanks Mike, I'll try it when I get home.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Many thanks to you clever computer boffins. How I wish I hadn't gone for E8.

Back to 7 but it wont let me watch more than one site at a time now. Grrr. Everytime I view something else I now have to log on again to PC Forum.

Cheers

Dustydog

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Why not keep PCv diminished in the taskbar to save yourself having to log on.

When you want to look in set the full size again and just click on FORUM in the webpage blue rectangle to refresh the forum page.

Jan 28, 2008
Visit site
Have you tried using Google Chrome browser instead of Explorer? It is available free from google. I find it quicker and more reliable than Explorer. The whole idea of tabbed browsing works well, as does the home page whish presents quick links to your "recent and favourite sites. On the rare occasions when it does crash, it gives you the option of restoring the previously open pages when you restart it.

So far I have found no drawbacks, and have switched to it as my main browser.

David

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts