Explorer Crusader/Buccaneer panels creasing when towed

Oct 29, 2006
Visit site
In the past two years i have owned from new a Crusador super sirocco and in february i took delivery of a Buccaneer Caravel(front cover this months isuue of PC). In both vans, from new creases appeared in the nearside panel radiating from the fridge and door apertures. This has resulted on both occasions the van being returned to the factory for a new panel. Apparently the problem is isolated according to Mr Watson of the Durham based ompany. Surely i can't be that lucky to purchase two vans two years apart and be one of only a handful of customers to experience the same problem? Anyone?

Sep 23, 2009
Visit site
I did post a topic on this site last autumn on this very subject. Mine is a Buccaneer Caravel and the creases go from the top fridge vent to the door. The whole structure of the caravan in my opinion is suspect as it flexes far too much. Its nothing to do with the tow car simply the design and weight of the side of the caravans. Check my thread on CT forum under 'walls creasing and cupboards coming away from the roof' If the company have repaired it ask them for a breakdown of how they repaired it. Keep posting I am very interested in this topic for obvious reasons.

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
Must be something to do with the door at the front along with the big fridge vent cut outs as my friends searcher had a crack and stressed marks in the same place on the grp sides.

Sep 23, 2009
Visit site
Just ask my dealer here in cheshire, they have heard of know problems or had any come back with the problem.

NigelH
In my experience dealers are not to keen to step forward and be up front and honest about what they sell. In my particular case they were glorifying the virtues of one product but when they went bankrupt were keen to criticize them and extol the virtues of the new kids on the block. I unfortunately purchased one of the new kids on the block and have regretted it ever since.

May 10, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

We have a 2009 Crusader Superstorm.

Dont suppose you could post a picture. Not quite sure what you mean my crease. We certainly have lines that can be seen from the outside. We have the larger fridge on the O/S. The door is on the opposite side.

Thanks

Oct 29, 2006
Visit site
Hi,

We have a 2009 Crusader Superstorm.

Dont suppose you could post a picture. Not quite sure what you mean my crease. We certainly have lines that can be seen from the outside. We have the larger fridge on the O/S. The door is on the opposite side.

Thanks
Sorry, i cant find the pictures. You would know instantly if yours was affected. Usually from the door or upper fridge vent. 45degrees to the aperture, very pronounced and unsightly.

Not the usual ripples running from top to bottom on the entire panel.

Oct 29, 2006
Visit site
That van was on our look list for next years purchase should discount it.

NigelH
I must say that the van is fantastic, the alde heating and leather make for a special place to be.

Yes having the van returned to the factory is a pain, but the overall standard is very high.

Oct 29, 2006
Visit site
Just ask my dealer here in cheshire, they have heard of know problems or had any come back with the problem.

NigelH
When talking to the factory at Durham. Mr Watson said that there wasn't a particular issue, but strangely was unwilling to quote numbers........

Oct 29, 2006
Visit site
Sorry, i cant find the pictures. You would know instantly if yours was affected. Usually from the door or upper fridge vent. 45degrees to the aperture, very pronounced and unsightly.

Not the usual ripples running from top to bottom on the entire panel.
Further: the creases were immediately evident following 150 miles towing on both vans. So i deduce from this that if it is going to happen, it will have done it by now in your van.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts