External Aerial Point

Dec 1, 2005
Visit site
We are about to fit one to our van tomorrow, does anyone have any experience of using one?

We are deliberating where to put the unit on the outside of the van!

Lolly x

May 2, 2005
Visit site
Hello lolly, if you a going to put one on i would advise not near the water inlet, as you will get interference when running water. Personaly we just run the coax through the side window and down to the telly, you may also loose quality of picture, using a external point. Hope this is helpfull.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Lolly,

First time that i have replied to one of your questions,

I have fitted two of these external tv connections, on my last and present van.

Our Bailey Ranger 460/4 fixed bed with the telly located above the worksurface , so that you can watch either in the seating area or in bed.

For this reason I fitted the external aerial connection quite high up the side of the wall, so that you can insert the external cable whilst standing.

I have a external TV mast which I clamp to the jockey wheel.

You should get a carboard templet showing the positions of the four fixing screw holes and the large hole where the internal tv cable connected to bracket that you are fixing.

I found out that if you ignore the templete drill the large hole first ,position the external brkt within the hole you can then mark out the four smaller holes, the carboard templete on the two brkts that I bought showed the holes to near the large one

Trust this all makes sence

Royston

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Personally, I would fit it close to the original one. On the Wyoming that would mean high up on the side wall between the kitchen and bedroom. That way its a short cable run, you can use the existing TV amp and its away from any dirt or damage that could be a problem if its mounted low down. It does mean that it's a little unsightly, but your not going to forget it when leaving site.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Many OE aerial/boosters are fitted on the near side but fitting an external aerial connection nearby usually conflicts with awning use.

Fit the connection on the offside where you can get a short run to the TV position.

May 20, 2006
Visit site
perhaps the most important thing, but normally overlooked is the quality of co ax cable used.

dont use the rubbish thin cable that comes in kits, buy some shielded cable like ct100 satellite cable, the copper shielding between inner and outer core will eliminate a lot of interference.

good luck.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I'll second that, satellite grade co-ax is recommended for digital terrestrial signals where signal quality matters far more than signal strength.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The fewer joins the better

I use satellite coax but prefer to have a coil in the front locker direct to the digi box.

I have it round an H frame and unwind direct to the sat dish although the same would do to and aerial.

There is less loss of signal and fewer coax plug/sockets to work loose etc.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts