External socket.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
It never ceases to amaze me how the manufacturers miss the obvious. Many caravanners are using porch awnings these days and most caravanners would pick a porch that didnt cross the window, i.e. stopping short before the front window.

So why do all the manufactuers put the external socket right under the flipping window which means it will always sit outside of a porch awning. Really, how much thought does it take? In our van, as opposed to its Swift cousin, they have moved the cooker to where the fridge used to be. Its no longer right next to the door, the fridge is, with a nice worktop above it. Somewhere to stand the low wattage kettle. But guess what, the socket is at the other side of the cooker.

This caravan has more sockets than it will ever need, and none of them are where you need them the most. :angry:

Rant over.

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Thingy said:
It never ceases to amaze me how the manufacturers miss the obvious. Many caravanners are using porch awnings these days and most caravanners would pick a porch that didnt cross the window, i.e. stopping short before the front window.

So why do all the manufactuers put the external socket right under the flipping window which means it will always sit outside of a porch awning. Really, how much thought does it take? In our van, as opposed to its Swift cousin, they have moved the cooker to where the fridge used to be. Its no longer right next to the door, the fridge is, with a nice worktop above it. Somewhere to stand the low wattage kettle. But guess what, the socket is at the other side of the cooker.

This caravan has more sockets than it will ever need, and none of them are where you need them the most. :angry:

Rant over.

A very damn good rant that.
:)

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
I think it is a known fact that caravan designers have never spent one night in a caravan between them? Same '**** ups' , same mistakes, new model after new model all makers guilty. Why don't they choose some seasoned caravanners or two to test and 'snag' their new products, what are they frightened of? -- Getting it right?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Gabsgrandad said:
I think it is a known fact that caravan designers have never spent one night in a caravan between them? ....

I don't think it is a "fact" though the number of poor design decisions does seem to suggest that practical experience is lacking.

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
I'm a long term caravanner and have also lived, permanently, in 2 different caravans so thought I'd make an ideal person to give a few comments on the 'vans. Guess what - no interest from the manufacturers. I know car makers have a team of consumers who look at pre production vehicles and give advice - perhaps caravan manufacturers could do the same. Perhaps a manufacturer would care to comment on this point. Maybe PC could do an article on this? Won't hold my breath waiting for either of these to happen!

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
The 13 amp (waterproof) power socket at the front of the caravan is so that you can cook on the George Forman BBQ grill outside instead of using a cadac on a 5 metre hose, outside of the awning door, come on folks it obvious.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We have a socket in the locker under the front window. As we do not use anything electric outside the caravan I have never thought about the position but from what is said there is no right answer. If it is for a grill then you want it at the front, if it is to be used in an awning then you might want it further back so no matter what the manufacturers do they cannot please everyone.
There are minor gripes about our caravan, the front locker cover can foul the jockey wheel handle and there is an electrical socket on the side of the bed base where it is difficult to see and not of any great use. The toilet is just inside the compartment door and could do with being a bit further back and the door is slightly too small to me.
What I have noticed is that after buying two Lunar caravans we have never been contacted to ask what we thought of them, although we did get this from the previous manufacturers we bought from. Possibly gut feeling rather than research rules the roost there.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
One year at the NEC we were asked by Coachman rep about what we would change in the caravan , told them about putting in the handbook about how to get panels off to get to roof light etc, but nothing changed, I would rather have a power socket in the middle of the van aft of the wheel , more sensible.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
The 13 amp (waterproof) power socket at the front of the caravan is so that you can cook on the George Forman BBQ grill outside instead of using a cadac on a 5 metre hose, outside of the awning door, come on folks it obvious.

I normaly use it for the hot plate at the front or an extension cable into the awning under the draught skirt for first thing on a morning if I get the chance of sneaking out when all still asleep to boil the kettle !!

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Prof? - Whose practical experience? - Isn't 40+ years enough to have a say, and with something like 10 new vans in that time -- done a bit! - Know a bit!

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I fully agree with how caravan design has many faults, I’m a relative novice compared to many on here having only been vanning for maybe 8-10 years and only on our second caravan but even I could offer improvements to various things, but for all that the caravan industry has gone from strength to strength in the last decade and regardless of the mistakes made by the manufacturers buyers continue to flock to caravan shows such as the one at the NEC (or whatever it’s now called) in Birmingham and we all look at the new offerings with oohs and aahs and continue to get out our hard earned cash and buy them, manufacturers must be doing something right I guess, the upshot of this is there seems no massive incentive for panels of caravanners giving their views on design and even less incentive for the various manufacturers to listen and implement any of them, I’m not sticking up for shoddy build quality that’s another topic but if you consider the latest designs and compare them to vans from way back then things might be far from perfect but things are still improving (I think) and compared to earlier caravanners we are much more demanding, you can please all of the people some of the time or you can please some of the people all of the time but your never gonna please all of them all of the time.

BP

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Gabsgrandad said:
Prof? - Whose practical experience? - Isn't 40+ years enough to have a say, and with something like 10 new vans in that time -- done a bit! - Know a bit!

I wasn't saying you hadn't. I was questioning your reference to the "FACT" which isn't really one is it!

However If experience is the criteria, then lets face it, the caravan manufactures have nearly had a century to perfect their incompetence!

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Having "nearly had a century" to perfect their incompetance is not a complement.Caravan manufacturers learn from their mistakes,there are some ghastly caravans out there.

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
bertieboy1 said:
Having "nearly had a century" to perfect their incompetance is not a complement.Caravan manufacturers learn from their mistakes,there are some ghastly caravans out there.
Should have said "don't learn" from their mistakes

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts