Extra 20kg payload

Feb 9, 2009
Visit site
We have 2 free standing tables which have never even been out of the dedicated storage cupboard in the caravan. For years I have been meaning to take them home and yesterday finally did it. The weight of each one surprised me so I weighed them on the bathroom scales and they came in at 10 kg each.
For years I have been carrying an extra 20kg which I could have used as payloadi

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
FrintonMike said:
We have 2 free standing tables which have never even been out of the dedicated storage cupboard in the caravan. For years I have been meaning to take them home and yesterday finally did it. The weight of each one surprised me so I weighed them on the bathroom scales and they came in at 10 kg each.
For years I have been carrying an extra 20kg which I could have used as payloadi

My heavy OEM table and rear bunks have been in the loft since buying the caravan. Played havoc with the noseweight as the van is naturally nose heavy.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
After weighing the caravan , after a new rear panel, we found we were over our max Weight, so decided to remove all the items we carried and hardly ever used. Mini ironing board, Iron, cloths drier, pint glasses, etc, and the table for inside use which was stored under the bed. Saved over 50 kgs in weight. Amazing how much seldom used items you carry.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
After weighing the caravan , after a new rear panel, we found we were over our max Weight, so decided to remove all the items we carried and hardly ever used. Mini ironing board, Iron, cloths drier, pint glasses, etc, and the table for inside use which was stored under the bed. Saved over 50 kgs in weight. Amazing how much seldom used items you carry.

Oh thanks a bundle Hutch, something else to fret about. We had a new rear panel fitted last Autumn, never really entered my mind to weigh the caravan. After all if a car has a new rear load door you assume its kerb weight stays the same. Was it your panel that contributed in part to the excess weight, or your kit?

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
otherclive said:
FrintonMike said:

My heavy OEM table and rear bunks have been in the loft since buying the caravan. Played havoc with the noseweight as the van is naturally nose heavy.

Same here mate , straight out and straight up into the loft !!

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
OC, no it was just the amount of stuff we were carrying. We noticed a crack in the back panel, whilst doing a 6 week trip around France, and Coachman wanted it back to repair. But on the big haul around France about 2500 miles, the car was working hard in the heat upto 38c. So decided to weigh minus clothes and food , frightening how much overloaded.
Screenshot-2018-07-09-20-07-20.png

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
OC, no it was just the amount of stuff we were carrying. We noticed a crack in the back panel, whilst doing a 6 week trip around France, and Coachman wanted it back to repair. But on the big haul around France about 2500 miles, the car was working hard in the heat upto 38c. So decided to weigh minus clothes and food , frightening how much overloaded.
Screenshot-2018-07-09-20-07-20.png

When you say over your max weight... is that the plated MTPLM or the mythical/theoretical max weight that you could be re-plated to? Or were you in "relaxed" axle territory?

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
That was or plated MTPL, on the 560 we cannot upgrade. I think the 2500 mile tow around France with an overloaded caravan certainly tested our axle. :unsure:

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Reducing the MIRO as said does re focus what is what!
The bed slats at the front have never been used. More wasted weight!
What else can we remove B)

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
Dustydog said:
Reducing the MIRO as said does re focus what is what!
The bed slats at the front have never been used. More wasted weight!
What else can we remove B)

Dining table and front bed slats are the only things in our van that have never been used.... there isn't much in the Sprite that is superflous...

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I have previously removed a bunk and ladder that was not being used and on another just the ladder as the bunk would not come out without leaving marks and holes. If you can lose weight without damage then it makes sense.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Raywood said:
I have previously removed a bunk and ladder that was not being used and on another just the ladder as the bunk would not come out without leaving marks and holes. If you can lose weight without damage then it makes sense.

If you can lose weight without damage then it makes sense.[/quote]

Been trying now for a long while without any success :)

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Now if you are a real weight nerd like me you remove the microwave to the car if you intend to use it on a site......or leave it at home if on a non EHU pitch. :whistle:

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
Gafferbill said:
Now if you are a real weight nerd like me you remove the microwave to the car if you intend to use it on a site......or leave it at home if on a non EHU pitch. :whistle:

The wardrobe doors could be left behind... make the washroom open plan B)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts