Extractor fan

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Gave the van a good external clean during the sunshine, checked the extractor fan failed to start, annoying as when we last used it it worked okay.

Have checked the 10amp fuse , by replacing with a new one still not working, have replaced the original.

Just wondered if anybody has been faced with a simular problem , considering checking the switches to see whether the cold weather has caused contacts to be rusty.

Any thoughts would be very wellcome

Oct 24, 2007
Visit site
Hello Royston,

I have had problems with an extractor on an older van where it was mounted in the side wall rather than the more modern in the roof style. It has a sliding switch which needed a clean up and an application of wd40 every year.

Guess the only way you'll find out for sure is to get the old multi-meter out.

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
l have the same problem fuse blows if you reverse the fan by accident, got to change my fuse tomorrow, hoping it's the fuse and not something else.

NigelH

Nov 27, 2009
Visit site
If you haven't tried already, with the fan on the lowest speed setting, it might be worth trying to give it a gentle kick start through the grill by moving the blade with a pencil or stick.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If you haven't tried already, with the fan on the lowest speed setting, it might be worth trying to give it a gentle kick start through the grill by moving the blade with a pencil or stick.
Just tried that no joy, will switch off all electrics remove the outer inside casing , should be able to remove the grill which exposes the switches hoping to clean the contacts , will advisae how i get on.

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Simple question not meant to be patronising but have you switched the 2 volt master switch on? Checked the fuse on the distribution board?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for the last two tips, Master switch on fuse checked no fan movement.

Lifted outside cover to full extension no fan movement.

Feb 18, 2009
Visit site
hello royston had the same problem on my abbey 2004.only then being 18 months old. I was told it needed a new fan,so i took it apart myself.Found that the one of the brushes inside the electric motor was not making contact,but was not worn out. All i did was to give it a good clean and put it back togeather. Works as new now.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
At last I have found the reason for the extract fan not working, its all due to the internal wiring.

I have a series 5 pageant provence, some of the internal lights work with the main light switch in the off position, the remainder work when you switch the main light switch on.

Such is the case with the extract fan, main light switch off fan nowork, main light switch on fan works okay.

Its amasing saved me a lot of cash.

Royston

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts