F.A.O. Merve. Re.Mice.

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
As a pest controller, as mentioned in the Roof Fan topic, what is your opinion of the moth ball solution to the mouse problem as often suggested in these forums? I often wonder if they are being effective or is it simply that there are no mice where I store my 'van.

Apr 1, 2006
Visit site
Hi Mike,

20 years experience in the field and never used a moth ball yet!and this is as ludicrous a cure for mice as I have ever heard! It's rather like the ultra sonic gadgets that they sell and promise that they keep rodents away- THEY DON'T - so don't waste your money! There is an in built survival instinct in these creatures as there is in us and they very quickly become used to the new smell, noise or whatever and put up with it. And anyway even if it were true can you imagine the amount of mothballs you would need to make life unpleasant for a mouse? I wouldn't want to go in that caravan would you?.Talk about eyes watering eh? I keep my caravan baited at all times when in storage and back these up with good quality trap/s(SNAP E's)in each lower compartment with high protein food on it ie peanut butter and this will, 99 times out of a hundred, deal with this destructive pest. As a help,if you are not visiting the van for some time it is probably best to place them on polythene for obvious reasons. I don't get problems now and I havn't had a mouse in for years ( no evidence of droppings gnawing etc) but I will never be without protection. I did get one in many years ago- chewed cushions, curtains etc and it was my first caravan- I was gutted. NEVER AGAIN. The next one didn't see the next day!! Hope this helps. www.acclaimpest.co.uk.

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi Mike,

20 years experience in the field and never used a moth ball yet!and this is as ludicrous a cure for mice as I have ever heard! It's rather like the ultra sonic gadgets that they sell and promise that they keep rodents away- THEY DON'T - so don't waste your money! There is an in built survival instinct in these creatures as there is in us and they very quickly become used to the new smell, noise or whatever and put up with it. And anyway even if it were true can you imagine the amount of mothballs you would need to make life unpleasant for a mouse? I wouldn't want to go in that caravan would you?.Talk about eyes watering eh? I keep my caravan baited at all times when in storage and back these up with good quality trap/s(SNAP E's)in each lower compartment with high protein food on it ie peanut butter and this will, 99 times out of a hundred, deal with this destructive pest. As a help,if you are not visiting the van for some time it is probably best to place them on polythene for obvious reasons. I don't get problems now and I havn't had a mouse in for years ( no evidence of droppings gnawing etc) but I will never be without protection. I did get one in many years ago- chewed cushions, curtains etc and it was my first caravan- I was gutted. NEVER AGAIN. The next one didn't see the next day!! Hope this helps. www.acclaimpest.co.uk.
Thanks for that Merve. However, as I said, I'm not sure if they work or is it simply that there are no mice at the storage site.

Apr 1, 2006
Visit site
Hi Mike, It may be that one hasn't tried to get in or it may be has and failed but take it from me, if your van is in the countryside in storage then you WILL have mice about- Stay protected mate- its like a seat belt- waste of time until something happens!

Sep 15, 2006
Visit site
Another reason for avoiding mothballs is that they are really bad for camera lenses - the napthalene damages the coatings on the lenses.

Apr 1, 2006
Visit site
Another reason for avoiding mothballs is that they are really bad for camera lenses - the napthalene damages the coatings on the lenses.
Thanks for that Tim. Nice to know these facts. Will remember that for the future for other people- A moth ball will never find its way into my van!!

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
All the above leaves me rather bewildered. Mothballs are favoured by farmers storing what are nowadays electronically sophisticated items of machinery in barns - mouse country if ever there was. Far from using eye watering quantities half a dozen in an 19ft. internal length van seems adequate - they are, of course, put away into enclosed containers when the 'van is in use. As for damage to camera lenses I would avoid leaving camera kit in the 'van while in storage anyway due to possible damp and theft problems.

blu

Apr 16, 2007
Visit site
Hi folks

The location of my house meant i used to have a problem with mice in my garage,shed,caravan and a small out building.I tried many things over the years with varying outcomes.I know Merve says differant but started using the plug in sonic devices about two years ago and have not had once attack since.I do use more than one device in each location and they are not particularly cheap but cheaper than replacing items after an attack.

Regards

Sean

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts