F.A.O Nigel Donnelly

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
This is the reply from a major manufacturerm of copper grease.

I hope this finally answers the question of copper grease on alloy wheels.

Please accept my apologies for the delay in response, I was awaiting a reply from our technical department. See below:

As far as we are aware, whilst galvanic action occurs in the presence of two dissimilar metals, it can only do so in the presence of an electrolyte such as water to allow electron flow. In the case of copper grease use, there are several reasons why we believe that galvanic action is not possible.

Firstly the very finely divided copper particles are coated thoroughly and intimately with a hydrocarbon grease, a substance that is a very efficient insulator.

Secondly, the substance is extremely water resistant, thus electrolytic action is not feasible.

Thirdly, should the operating conditions be such that the hydrocarbon grease is burnt off to form carbon, temperatures would need to be so high that any electrolyte would be boiled off immediately and be unable to induce the galvanic effect. It is also thought that operating conditions such as these would not occur under normal under every day use.

I hope this resolves your dispute.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts