F1 starts today

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I know F1 is hated by many. But some of us like it. Personally, I am looking forward to it. Many new drivers this year, many innovations on the cars despite financial constraints and stringent rules. eg. Manufacturers are cutting right back on paint to save weight, just painting the top half to allow for sponsors. McLaren has been using vinal wrap for a few years which they say is lighter, but it allows for very detailed advertising and no decal edges to restrict airflow.

Our family do fantasy FT. A granddaughter won last year. I came in third which I am happy with as I missed race 1.

Here are my choices. I only had £100m to spend so taking a chance on Aston. I only have £0.7m left.

6B7D637D-6CF5-4D59-9C35-943FC6F28D3A.jpeg

If anyone wants to do it, individually or as part of your own league go to f1.com then select gaming. But you will have to be quick to get Bahrain.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I know F1 is hated by many. But some of us like it. Personally, I am looking forward to it. Many new drivers this year, many innovations on the cars despite financial constraints and stringent rules. eg. Manufacturers are cutting right back on paint to save weight, just painting the top half to allow for sponsors. McLaren has been using vinal wrap for a few years which they say is lighter, but it allows for very detailed advertising and no decal edges to restrict airflow.

Our family do fantasy FT. A granddaughter won last year. I came in third which I am happy with as I missed race 1.

Here are my choices. I only had £100m to spend so taking a chance on Aston. I only have £0.7m left.

View attachment 4372

If anyone wants to do it, individually or as part of your own league go to f1.com then select gaming. But you will have to be quick to get Bahrain.

John
I like F1 too and just hope Mercedes are more competitive this year as I really feel that Lewis H deserves a good crack at another championship after being short changed in 2021. Our granddaughter is going to Silverstone with her boyfriend and family for the whole weekend. Think it’s Thursday and return home Monday.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I like F1 too and just hope Mercedes are more competitive this year as I really feel that Lewis H deserves a good crack at another championship after being short changed in 2021. Our granddaughter is going to Silverstone with her boyfriend and family for the whole weekend. Think it’s Thursday and return home Monday.

I did Silverstone qualifying one year. For me, I prefer TV coverage. But the best atmosphere is to be found on the campsites, Not done F1 but we have done other meets, Brands Hatch for example. Far from a peaceful campsite. But that is not what fans go for.

will your Granddaughter be camping?

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I did Silverstone qualifying one year. For me, I prefer TV coverage. But the best atmosphere is to be found on the campsites, Not done F1 but we have done other meets, Brands Hatch for example. Far from a peaceful campsite. But that is not what fans go for.

will your Granddaughter be camping?

John
Yes they are all camping. Three generations.
I camped at Donnington for MotoGP. and it was “lively” to say the least. Didn’t get much sleep and arrived home somewhat bombed out even though as designated driver I was “dry” on the Sunday evening. My son and his chum slept the whole way back.

Reactions: Jcloughie
May 18, 2006
Visit site
Looking forward to the season, but I don't think Mercedes are going to be competing for the championship this year. Aston are looking good and I just hope they beat the Red Bulls.
We did Silverstone last year and stayed in our caravan on the Golf Course campsite which is only a short walk to the circuit. Loved every minute of it. We arrived on the Thursday and left on the Monday. Looking forward to doing it again, possibly next year.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Do they do a complete race on a single charge to the battery?

Yes, I think so. But just a few years ago, when it first started, they had to change cars half way through. So I imagine that reflects improvements.

These improvements can help drive everyday improvements in the tech for road cars, as happens with F1.

John

Reactions: otherclive
May 11, 2021
Visit site
Do they do a complete race on a single charge to the battery?
Mid-race car swaps stopped in the 2018 season - they easily do a whole race now on one charge. In fact they are energy-limited, meaning that they can only use a certain amount of energy during the race, with penalties issues for going over (the cars will go over, but they are monitored on usage). It's a bit like a fuel limit, but with a battery there's little performance detriment to carrying more charge than needed.

I've been to a Formula-E race and found it distinctly underwhelming as a spectacle and as an event.

On the F1 though - what a result! On the one hand there was a predictable outcome but on the other there was a great tale of a new team challenging near the front. Not a great day for papayas though.

Aug 24, 2020
Visit site
Not the result I was hoping for, but great to see a previously-midfield team up there. Personally I support all the British drivers, and Mercedes. I've got LH and GR in my fantasy team so after just one race I'm tenth out of eleven in our mini league :-(

I was lucky enough to do Friday - Sunday at Silverstone in 2022 (staying at the in-laws, not camping), I hoped to go again this year but left it too late to get tickets. I've already got a note in the calendar to buy tickets for 2024 as soon as they go on sale!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
As a matter of interest if going to a Gran prix at Silverstone, would the roads be very busy and gridlocked or not too much of an issue? Looking at Sept 2023.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
As a matter of interest if going to a Gran prix at Silverstone, would the roads be very busy and gridlocked or not too much of an issue? Looking at Sept 2023.
Yes, they'll get busy - but local traffic management flows much better than in Silverstone's early days - an event there in Sept shouldn't be too bad.

Reactions: Buckman
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site

It was about 15 years ago we went to the qualifying at Silverstone. Coming home the traffic was awful. The police sent us a few miles down a lane which they had made two lanes, one way. We were heading east when we needed west. Main problem was, the police had not told the oncoming traffic that it was one way. The result, utter chaos.

Took forever. Silverstone had such a bad reputation for traffic they nearly lost the license to run the Grand Prix. They invested a load of money. So I imagine things are good now.

Usually much better for campers, as they go before and come home after the crowds.

John

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I live south of Milton Keynes and the roads are fairly clear now, exiting Silverstone to the M1, M40, and in general all is good. Over the last few years.

I was very lucky in the 1990's as the helicopter company I worked for flew in people to the GP , we brought down about 20 helicopters from the North Sea to take punters to and from the GP. Leaving just a minimum of Helicopters for the GP weekend for emergencys. In the North Sea.
That year Silverstone was the busiest airfield in the world for that weekend, beating Heathrow, for aircraft movements. ( Take off and landings )

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Back in the days of Damon Hill, Schumacher, Hakkinen et al, we watched all the races even in the early hours. Plenty of colour, Red , Yellow, Silver. Pit stops were legendary, stuck fuel fillers, crossed wheel nuts , jacks stuck, over speeding in and out of pits. Today , I am afraid it is just too clinical for me

Aug 24, 2020
Visit site
Last year I used the park and ride from Northampton - it took a while but it was as well organised as something on that scale can be. If I go again I'll go on one of the nearby camp sites within cycling or walking distance.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I would stop at Elm Tree Farm it got some nice self catering cottages it only 15 mins drive from F1 Grand prix Silverstone .

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I live around 15 miles from the silverstone circuit and can sometimes hear them practising when I’m at home, I’m not a big fan of watching Grand Prix but I once with several other guys had to deliver 10 new various Ford cars to the circuit for a Ford dealer day at the circuit, all the cars had to be left in a line in the pit area, there were f1 cars belting around the track, we waited at a gate that was held shut by 2 marshals and they were using radio sets so they could be in touch of where every car was in relation to us, the marshals held us at the gate and we were told to sit there with engines running hot, when the marshals gave us the flag to hit the track flat out, we had to belt along around half way along the track until we shot in the pits to park up, I might not be a fan of f1 but that day had us buzzing for the rest of that week, so I can understand why people love watching.
I also fitted gadgets to company vans for at least 5 different f1 factory sites, I surprised most of them when they offered me a tour of the factory and I declined, having worked on cars of just about every make you could think of for companies and the cars of the rich and the famous.
Cars of no sort including f1 cars and there’s not a single one that excites myself, a cars a car, as for the silverstone f1 it just means all the roads around nearby are blocked

Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
I was at Silverstone for Hill's last F1 race there (1999?) Helicopter in to the track, paddock passes and hospitality above the pit lane.
pretty amazing experience. Not been since as there is no way I can top that

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts