FaceBook Vs other forums.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I have just been on The FaceBook page of the Coachman Owners Page. OMG. I have found so many folk unable to be able to help each other, they are more into "how nice my new Coachman is" and then three months later they are slagging off Coachman.
I think they are real first time buyers with no practical knowledge, latest post, my battery is flat , should I go away, , people replying , buy a new one and "it Should work".
I ask what year Is the caravan, " why does that matter" time to leave that place.
The only thing. Is the post about nice sites I have never seen.
Rant over.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Facebook groups are sometimes odd places. They’re often fast paced, difficult to find old posts and seem to encourage trolls. Facebook has it’s uses but I prefer a traditional forum for specific interest groups!
I fully agree and I don't think hese new caravanners understand there are forums like this one and others that can help them. I feel sorry for them as they might .eave Caravanning and miss so much.
I just wish I could even have been able to afford a basic Tent trailer when we were younger. , Ah Hindsight is great.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I'm a regular Facebook user, I'm a member of one or two closed groups and I set up and run two public and the private 'choir only' Facebook groups.
These closed Facebook groups depend on sensible admin and the good sense of the invited members.
Public Facebook special interest groups can be a time wasting free for all, and I don't bother with them.

Reactions: Dustydog and GaryB
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I am also on the Abbey caravan owner club on Facebook i think my caravan worth that and someone said ask a dealer and see what he says .
There seems to be a lot up of caravans up for sale as well

Last edited:

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
I am on a couple of the Swift Owners groups on Fb. They are very different to here. A bit like Fast food compared to restaurant dining. Can be tasty and pleasant but doesn’t always fill you up. Advice on Fb is often helpful but generally shorter. Of the “take the screws out” variety rather than a full explanation. Sometimes it is downright wrong. However the main difference is that Fb is about sharing the experience ( in a way that I don’t really understand) with lots of photos and emotional moments.This forum is for discussion .
Horses for courses. Comparing Apples with Pears or, to flog my analogy even further, MacDonalds with The Ivy.
Mel

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Another issue is that SO many of the younger generation have zero practical skills, so don't have a clue where to start if something "doesn't work"
We arrived on site (in Spain) yesterday afternoon at the start of a 4 week trip. The toilet wouldn't flush even though I had tested it a month ago.

So out came the multi-meter and I tested each supply point and discovered power up to the pump feed. So out comes the pump and I find the impeller is stuck. A few minutes rotating it and all is working as it should. How longbwoukd I have had to wait, and how much woukd I have had to pay, forvsomeone to come outband fix that basic problem?

How many times do we see, on this forum, people who dont understand even the basics of 12v electrics, know how to use a multi-meter, or for that matter diagnose even simple faults?

Basic 'life skills" just don't seem to have been taught for decades now do they? Apparently a large percentage these days don't know how to replace (or even check) a plug fuse,

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Facebook groups are sometimes odd places. They’re often fast paced, difficult to find old posts and seem to encourage trolls. Facebook has it’s uses but I prefer a traditional forum for specific interest groups!
I am on FB for two Buccaneer caravan groups and you can tell a newbie when you get asked what lights are switched on with the light switch. Surely if you switched it on you would know?

However as they are newbies one has to be patient and helpful as possible. Most times you never get a thank you but that is life on forums or groups.

Just to add on FB I have no "friends" on there as I am a believer in face to face contact or actually speaking to someone no matter where in the world they are located. I belong to two Buccaneer groups where I offer help and the BSA Police regimental group. Otherwise I stay away from FB where possible.

Neither of us have it activated on our Smartphones and if someone sends us a message with a link to FB they are informed we cannot access it on our phones and do not want to access it on the phones.

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Another issue is that SO many of the younger generation have zero practical skills, so don't have a clue where to start if something "doesn't work"
We arrived on site (in Spain) yesterday afternoon at the start of a 4 week trip. The toilet wouldn't flush even though I had tested it a month ago.

So out came the multi-meter and I tested each supply point and discovered power up to the pump feed. So out comes the pump and I find the impeller is stuck. A few minutes rotating it and all is working as it should. How longbwoukd I have had to wait, and how much woukd I have had to pay, forvsomeone to come outband fix that basic problem?

How many times do we see, on this forum, people who dont understand even the basics of 12v electrics, know how to use a multi-meter, or for that matter diagnose even simple faults?

Basic 'life skills" just don't seem to have been taught for decades now do they? Apparently a large percentage these days don't know how to replace (or even check) a plug fuse,
Sadly, many "technicians" at car dealers and caravan dealers fall into that category - too much "computer says replace xyz" without needing to engage brain and diagnose the exact issue.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I am on FB for two Buccaneer caravan groups and you can tell a newbie when you get asked what lights are switched on with the light switch. Surely if you switched it on you would know?

However as they are newbies one has to be patient and helpful as possible. Most times you never get a thank you but that is life on forums or groups.

Just to add on FB I have no "friends" on there as I am a believer in face to face contact or actually speaking to someone no matter where in the world they are located. I belong to two Buccaneer groups where I offer help and the BSA Police regimental group. Otherwise I stay away from FB where possible.

Neither of us have it activated on our Smartphones and if someone sends us a message with a link to FB they are informed we cannot access it on our phones and do not want to access it on the phones.
I joined FB quite a long while ago and only my grandson was prepared to be my “ friend”. But after a short time I got bored with it and cancelled the account. What does irritate me are places such as restaurants or businesses that instead of informing you via their website they direct you to FB. But the visibility of information is restricted to non account holders. Suffice to say little if any of our business goes their way. But I do manage to get along with life though.

Reactions: Buckman and RogerL
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Sadly, many "technicians" at car dealers and caravan dealers fall into that category - too much "computer says replace xyz" without needing to engage brain and diagnose the exact issue.
I think all of us would agree with that statement. With my previous 2012 Jeep I had an issue with a flat spot and took it to a Jeep dealership 25 miles away, but not my normal one who are 65 miles away. They changed some parts cost was about £600.

A week or two later while out and about the Jeep went totally dead on us as the alternator failed. Coincidence? The Jeep shut down completely and not even the windows would wind down. Back to the dealer who charged me £1400 to replace alternator. They had quoted about £1200 over the phone which I accepted, but on collection charge was over £1400 as they had not quoted me VAT incl.

Anyway after £2000 the flat spot was still present, but they wanted another £500 to diagnose the fault. I gave up as lost all faith in them and traded in the Jeep for my current 2018 Jeep. It has just come back from my regular Jeep dealership who are 65 miles away and they stated that it was one of the best Jeeps for its age that has been through their workshop. It only went in for a service and there were no issues as they also do a health check on the vehicle.

The technician at my regular Jeep workshop really knows his oats unlike the technician at the other dealership who even forgot to switch off the dashcam while doing "work" on the vehicle.

Sep 16, 2018
Visit site
I just dropped out of two private caravan fb forums, too many people asking basic questions which 2 minutes on Google solve or moaning. In the end its depressing.

I'll just stay here and enjoy the ride.

Reactions: Hutch and Buckman
Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
I just dropped out of two private caravan fb forums, too many people asking basic questions which 2 minutes on Google solve or moaning. In the end its depressing.

I'll just stay here and enjoy the ride.

That seems to be the way with FB groups, people seem to think it's easier (almost their "right") to let others do their "Googling" for them! I belong to a couple of local area/town groups and we get folks asking what time certain shops open, where sells pizza etc, etc.

Reactions: Hutch and Buckman

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts