Family Holiday in France 2011

Aug 22, 2005
Visit site
Hello all.

We are considering taking a trip to France next year during August (school holidays). We all enjoy the beach and cycling, visiting touristy places, the normally family holiday I suppose, but where to go?

Me, the wife and two girls 9 and 12. Don't want to be towing to far for the a first timer towing abroad.

All pointers welcome.

Thanks
JSD

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We go every May/June to Camping le Bohat in Brittany
Its on the Morbihan peninsula not far from Vannes and 3 easy hours from Roscoff
See details below
http://www.camping-sarzeau.com/index.php/en/
This is the pitch we have had for the last 3 years
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p84/johng_016/picture.jpg

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
After numerous washed out UK summer hol's we braved a July Portsmouth / Caen crossing when our youngest was five, southern Brittany / Carnac, beautiful area and great beaches very near John's (above) destination and loads to keep the kids entertained. But it rained every day and after nearly two weeks we'd had enough hitched up and bravely headed of sout to find some sunshine. We only had an AA route from Caen to Carnac in those old days and we were worried about driving on the wrong side of the road. We soon realised how mush easier towing is in France and we got to Bordeaux with ease and that was 23 years ago.
The autoroute network has been extended a lot since then and it's a joy to drive in France.
Don't be to conservative on your first attempt, it can rain in summer time Brittany, a few days in Brittany and then may be try a little further down the west coast.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
That's true
The weather is usually at its best in May/June but once over the water you can move south
We always used to book on the C & CC rally for 2 weeks and extend the stay if wet but it was never necessary to move on so now we just book for a month--and tempt fate
It could be difficult in August to get a pitch on another site especially nearer the sunny south

Mar 25, 2009
Visit site
John what is the weather like around first few weeks of June in Sarzeau usually head for Spain or Italy but not done that area so looking to do it next year...your thoughts would be most welcome as of anyone elses

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have always had mixed but predominately fine and sunny weather in Sarzeau with May cooler and gradually getting hotter into June
Its a bit like Morecambe Bay in that it has its own weather pattern much different to nearby Vannes
Its on a peninsula so lots of onshore/offshore breezes and its a cyclists paradise with lots of cycle only routes to the sandy bays on all sides of the peninsula
Last year in June they opened a new indoor swimming pool with retractable roof and here is a pic of the weather on that day

The guy in the foreground is Jurian ,the owner, and he is serving cider made from the apples grown on site
He is a most helpful guy(Dutch) and speaks English very well

Aug 22, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for the replies so far. Maybe a bit further south could be good, or even spain ( alot further south!!). Which crossing would get me to Spain?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We went Dover Calais a couple of times and drove down the autoroute but its a long drive and expensive in tolls
A 2 night stop at Beaune breaks it up but then if you have a limited holiday break it eats into the days
You can cross to Santander or Bilboa from Portsmouth or Plymouth but its a long crossing and expensive
You would need to enter your outfit/party details and date etc to get some idea of costs on the link below
My friend and wife are going in March with his car and caravan via Santander (I think) and I will get the price from him when its later in the day!!
Ok later in the day now:£779 return with 4 berth club class cabin

http://www.ferryto.co.uk/offers/spain.html

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
Hello Jason,
We're taking the van to France next year for the first time.In the past with the children we,ve stayed in the Vendee area around St.John de Monts on the coast.The weather there is more reliable than Brittany and not too far from the ferry crossings.Plenty of beaches and places to visit,as you say a typical sort of holiday.
If your in the Caravan Club it's worth buying the Caravan Europe 1 book,which at £6 +postage gives you the full low down on taking the van to the continent.I think it's worth every penny.
We're going accross the channel on the Eurotunnel,using the Tesco vouchers to pay for it.I suppose it depends where you live in the UK as to which ferry port to go from,and how many overnight stops you have in mind. I've limited the mileage to between 250-300/day so that I don't get overtired,and end up going round a roundabout the wrong way!!!
Hope this helps,and have a great holiday
Cheers Richard
smiley-smile.gif
smiley-smile.gif

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Jason
Northern Spain and SW France around the Biarritz area can be pretty changeable. You'd certainly not be guaranteed good weather. We go there every year and although we had 3 good weeks in August the season up to then had been wet.
I think that the sunshine rate around the Vendee is better.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts