FAO Karen

Feb 26, 2007
Visit site
Karen,

Just another thought.When you come across to Claonaig you could then drive north on the A83 to Lochgilphead.There is a caravan site there.

www.lochgilpheadcaravanpark.co.uk

It has residential vans on site as well .The site is well looked after.....neat & tidy.Toilet block is old but clean.There are super pitches,but where they are looked like a car park & didn't appeal to us.The site is within walking distance of the small town where there is a reasonable mix of shops including Coop supermarket.A visit to Crinan & the canal to watch all the boats coming through is quite pleasant.

Make sure that if you go to the Club site at Onich that you book.It is a very popular site and is often full.

The affiliated club site at North Ledaig is very efficiently run with good facilities,including a well stocked shop.The vans are in tiered rows which look rather regimented but every one has a view over to the islands.

Hoping this is of use to you Karen.

Apr 25, 2008
Visit site
Dear Maureen

Thanks for advice, yes we'd already booked at Onich as we'd been warned before that it's a popular site.

The other area we've not found a site in is Loch Lomond. Would like to stay near the water, if you can suggest anywhere?

Karen

Feb 26, 2007
Visit site
Hi Karen,

As we live only half an hour's drive from Loch Lomond we have never used any of the camp sites.All I can tell you is what is there.

Lomond Woods Holiday Park

Tullichewan

Balloch

This takes tourers but also has statics....not sure whther there is a view of the Loch from the pitches as they seem to be sited fairly near to the main road.However,all the reviews seem to be good on the following web site:-

www.ukcampsites.co.uk

Camping & caravanning club have a site at Luss,Loch Lomond for members only.Site is beside busy main road,but reasonably well screened from the road.The water table is high at this site so tends to get waterlogged quickly.

They also have a site on the east bank at Millarochy Bay and there is also a site at Cashel ( forest holidays ) which is east as well.

Ardlui Marina & hol.Park seems to accept tourers but I think they also have statics and ?? lodges.

Glasgow & surrounding area is poorly served for touring only sites which is a shame.

There is a Caravan and Camping Parks Map which can be obtained free of charge from Visit Scotland.com which might be useful to you.

Sorry I can't give you any more info.

Maureen

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Quote Lady Mo .... "Camping & caravanning club have a site at Luss,Loch Lomond, the water table is high at this site so tends to get waterlogged quickly".

True, hence it's alive with midges which breed in the boggy ground. We were there in June and this was my first experience of Caledonius Midgium and not a pleasant one :O(

Take no notice of those that say they don't come out when it rains. We were packing up to move on and it was piddling down but they were still trying to bite me, sticking to my wet skin.

I think the story of them staying indoors when it rains is a myth put out by the Scottish Tourist Board ......... heh! heh!

Apr 25, 2008
Visit site
Dear Maureen

Thanks for site suggestions by Loch Lomond, plenty for me to be looking at! Maybe not a bad idea to be little distance from the water going by Lord Braykewynds experiences!

Karen

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts