Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
hi Steve, when I put the computer on this evening to look in on the forum it appears to have changed somewhat,
there is only text showing no avtars or signatures or anything else looks dead boring, is it the site or just my laptop thowing a wobbly after some update. never seen it like this before.
just thought I would ask before playing around with the settings.
thanks Colin,

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I'm getting the same thing gents.
smiley-frown.gif

The website software is probably having one of it's wobbles as sometimes happens.
I'll let the powers that be know to see if they can fix it or get onto the cloud server firm in Texas that supplies the software.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Yes, I'm sorry for the victims of that blast but I sometimes think that the Health & Safety regulations here in the UK are not all bad.

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
thanks for the heads up, I will leave well alone untill futher developments, I had also noticed that the facility for editing such things as photo and signature had also disappeard from my accounts tab,
smiley-cry.gif
"well you have to look don't you", so I figured it was a site problem, but seeing as how I have just (yesterday) upgraded to the latest version of Avast one can never be sure, as it alters the settings in Firefox.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I had trouble with my emails a couple of weeks ago after an automatic software update, I was getting an error message which said that the calendar was corrupted and out of date. I had a frustrating couple of days until I stumbled on the idea of restoring the computer to an earlier restore point. I did it and hey presto- job done! There have been a couple of minor alterations to the forum software (by the provider, not Haymarket) so I presume that this latest episode is the result of one of the 'upgrades'.
smiley-undecided.gif

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Glad you have all posted this, thought it was my ageing laptop. Amazing what a difference the avatar and signature makes. Isn't it dull without them.
Hope they are back soon.
mel

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Parksy said:
Mel said:
Please do, I'm worried that no-one is looking after my Cheshire Cat!
mel
Eh???
Lady Mel's avatar Parksy!!!! also thinking along smilar lines, wondering if the site has been changed perminantly, if it was a simple problem it would have been sorted by now, the long delay and no response from Haymarket does seem ominious,

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Sorry Mel, I hadn't got my thinking head on yesterday, it must have been the sunshine overdose
smiley-cool.gif

Please don't read anything in to the long delay and lack of response from Haymarket Colin.
The guy in charge of all things digital at Haymarket these days is none other than ex Practical Caravan Magazine print editor and now Editor in Chief - Digital, Nigel Donnelly.
Nigel is at this very moment hopefully sunning himself outside his newly acquired (and cheaply bought) Bedford CF motorhome down at Stowford Farm Meadows, Devon with the Practical Caravan Readers Rally and the broadband reception at Stowford is very patchy to say the least.
I am in fairly regular email contact with Nigel though and I can assure everyone that he has big plans for the Practical Caravan website and forum, and these plans will come to fruition in the not too distant future.
I won't reveal too much at this stage but I have to say that Nigel told me that the software currently in use for this website will not now be tweaked or repaired because past problems and continuing issues with it have rendered it obsolete, and we will soon be using new, more user friendly software.
I know that these issues can be frustrating and I thank members for sticking with us in spite of glitches now and then. I'm confident however that the software glitches and problems will soon be a thing of the past.

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
hi all, just bumping this topic to the top, as it's been so long since any news was forthcomming,
anyone else get the feeling the forum changes are now perminant, thought Nigel would have had some input by now!! I know the editor in chief is a busy man but still.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
colin-yorkshire said:
hi all, just bumping this topic to the top, as it's been so long since any news was forthcomming,
anyone else get the feeling the forum changes are now perminant, thought Nigel would have had some input by now!! I know the editor in chief is a busy man but still.

Hi Colin

IMO the Forum days are numbered, Twitter and Facebook being the preferred vehicles.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Twitter is often used simply to show a link to a comment or a picture, either on this website or on Facebook, and Facebook is often used to draw attention to interesting articles, and to allow FB users to share their casual observations and pictures.
Facebook also has a part to play in offering support and advice to touring caravan owners or those considering buying a tourer, but this forum and website has a truly massive role in providing in depth community style advice, gossip, friendship and support, something that neither Twitter or Facebook are designed to do.
As stated by me previously I did send an email to Nigel asking about the loss of the avatars and signatures and and if a reply is forthcoming I'll post details straight away, but Nigel is a busy man and there have been two bank holidays quite close together complete with the annual PCv readers rally so there has been a lot to get done.
You may recall though that a forum upgrade, with new more user friendly software is in the pipeline, Nigel had already said that no repairs or tweaks would be carried out on this website with the current software so all we can do is to wait for the upgrade and I'll keep you posted as soon as I know anything.
smiley-laughing.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts