FAO Shiba about Dogs

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Shiba

Just had a look at the web site. Not being a dog person,well never having had a dog !!!!. How do these kind of dogs get on with cats ?? We have two cats ( bengals ) who are two years old. Would a dog take to the cats and also the other way round ??

We do have time,space and the neccesary money for vet care etc should it be required. What's putting us off a bit is a fast dog and two fast cats tearing round the house.

Anyone took a mature dog into their home with established cats or is it asking to much for them all to settle. We would hate to try it and for it not work out ???

Val & Frank

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Frank, sorry to interrupt your question, but we have the dogs , as you can see from the other thread, but we also have 5 cats and they all get on well, the dogs even let the cats eat their dinner!!

It all depends on very careful introduction of dog to cat, and cat to dog, just letting each other see the other briefly to start with, and build up from there.

Cats will always have the upper hand, as they have sharp claws which they are not afraid to use to let the dog know enough is enough.

Both Lurchers play with our cats but chase other cats from the garden, and if they see a rabbit, its a case of Rabbit for dinner , every time.

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Hi Damian

Thanks for the reply, just looking for any input into this subject, we are looking for the positive response but also aware some people may have got it wrong !!!

No politics on this one LOL

Val & Frank

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi Frank

Now so one who used to have a cat and dog.

They got on well together but they were both brot up together.

evey when the cat die the dog tuke the owen round to were the cat used to sleep and look round for it as well.

MArk

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
val and frank, the bengal cats you have are they the leopard ones like of cat women?. if so i love them cats they are beautiful.

have a look a bichon frise they are beautiful and always have nice temprements.

have a look at www.champdogs.co.uk if you do buy a pedigree please make sure it is KC registered. try axa for your pet insurance ask them if they do a no excess policy.

good luck

jo-anne

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Hi Jo Anne,

Our two cats look like baby bengal tigers, with leopard spots, they really are beautiful creatures, and such good temprement.

The dog we are considering would be a rescue dog, greyhounds seem to fit the bill needing help & softy dogs in to the bargin. Being retired but still active, walking would not be a problem, in fact it would be a bonus!!!!!!

Val & frank

Aug 9, 2005
Visit site
Hi Frank, all hounds are tested for being cat friendly before being homed, and if they are not you are told at the time you show any interest, most of the members on the site have cats and children, but you can be sure that you would only be introduced to a dog that will fit into your lifestyle, if you have any more in depth questions, please log into the site and ask any of the Admin team, these people have homed dogs from Ireland, Spain,they really do know what they are talking about, so please if you are interested do drop them a message,there are some super looking dogs that are looking for a happy home.

Shiba.

Aug 31, 2007
Visit site
We've got a rescue dog, a cross shepard/foxhound. had him from Dogs Trust Bridgend. he positively hates our cat,and was always trying to get to him . You will notice I said 'was', we hav'nt seen the cat for approx. three to four months. that said I'm not to sorry because I hated him,I'm not a cat person!

Aug 9, 2005
Visit site
A lot of the greyhounds have never raced so are not bothered about chasing anything, they are so laid back, and gentle, and if they get a walk morning and evening they are happy.please look through some of the posts on the sighthounds web site you will be amazed at the work and care that these teams put into finding good homes, and remember that if for any reason it does not work out, they will always be taken back, which of course we hope never happens.there is alawys backup from the site, and they help on all aspects, I just think they are wonderful for what they do.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts