Favourite sites in Devon?

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone. I hope you can help. We're putting together our next 'County Counsel' feature for the magazine and need some campsite recommendations from readers. This time we're focusing on Devon.

So, what are your favourite sites in Devon? Little, large, coastal or country, we'd love to hear them!

Thank you.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
I usually write myself a report when I get home -of which this is a precis!
Webbers Farm C&C, Woodbury, Exeter. Whichever way you arrive there are some narrows to be negotiated, either the ‘B’ road lane from the east, or our OS map route from the west through Woodbury village, past the school. The entrance is off a sloping lane on the eastern end of the village. On arrival it is immediately apparent that this site is a ‘Best of British’ by marketing group and appearance. Reception is bedecked with hanging baskets and there are barrels of flowers to line the way. The site is terraced or gently sloping, the pitches are enormous, with a sense of parkland, especially as during our stay the site was mainly less than half occupied. The higher up the site you pitch the greater the view westward of the Exe river valley and the city of Exeter lit up at night (about 10 miles distant). There are 10 neat statics for hire at the very top, and a number of base pitches. Owners can store vans in a gated area. In low season the majority clientele are retired folk, although the number of children increases as school holidays start. Towards the top of the site is an adventure play area for children with a ‘wendy-house’ for rabbits and guinea pigs. A further lower field houses large enclosures for donkeys and goats, with some overflow tent areas around the edge, with newly planted hedging. Adjacent is a field with football nets, a badminton and tennis net on sloping grass. Two toilet blocks provide lashings of hot water for showers and enclosed basins, some in en-suite rooms. There is also a laundrette and family bathroom (on payment). Reception is welcoming and cheery, stocking a few provisions and daily papers, a separate room houses myriad information leaflets. The village has an excellent chinese/chip shop take-away, and two pubs serving food. Days out abound, the beach at Exmouth is sandy, Budleigh Salterton and Sidmouth mainly pebbles. You can walk on Woodbury Common, or along the river Otter, or tackle some of the coastal path. More sedately you can view many donkeys at the sanctuary, visit village churches or Exeter Cathedral (2 park and ride facilities towards this side), or take a Jurassic Coast or River cruise depending on the tides.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Dornafield without doubt. Has everything you could wish for. No bar on site thanksfully but two excellent pubs, either end of the lane. Exceptional play area well away from the vans. All pitches fully serviced and the most pleasant staff I have encountered anywhere. Facilities second to none. Low season deals are excellent value too.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Cant really comment as we live here!!!

Havent stayed at many, but can agree with Thingy on Dornafield stayed there for a weekend when we first got our present van, about 6 years ago

But grandson does like Cofton in Dawlish and he has chosen Ladram Bay for this Easter, will let you know on his one.

BryonySymes

Administrator
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Thanks everyone!

I stayed at Dornafield last year and really enjoyed it, too. The owner had so many interesting stories and the grounds were just so relaxing.

B

Feb 28, 2017
Visit site
What a great topic. We are filling the summer holidays now with bookings for what will be our first year caravaning and the aim is cover devon and cornwall. I have been doing a lot of research and reviews reading and our first stay at the end of may is here: http://www.oakdown.co.uk/

Be great to see if any of you have any experience of it. We are armed with a 10 and 13 year old and small dog.

Im also using this topic to look for more places to stay so keep them coming! :)

We did stay at Ladram bay some years ago in a static, and it a nice site.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
CluelessNewbies said:
What a great topic. We are filling the summer holidays now with bookings for what will be our first year caravaning and the aim is cover devon and cornwall. I have been doing a lot of research and reviews reading and our first stay at the end of may is here: http://www.oakdown.co.uk/

Be great to see if any of you have any experience of it. We are armed with a 10 and 13 year old and small dog.

Im also using this topic to look for more places to stay so keep them coming! :)

We did stay at Ladram bay some years ago in a static, and it a nice site.

Actually have stayed at Oakdown, lovely site you will enjoy, dog will love the walk out the site across the lane pass some more caravans and into the Donkey sanctuary which is free to enter anyway.

Stayed at Ladram last weekend (Easter). The site is very steep at the top but in saying that the pitches are all tiered. And the view out to sea is to die for. Good food in the restaurant. Fish & Chip take away one of the best we have tasted on a site. Beach is pebbles with sand as the tide goes out, you can hire a boat, kayak etc from there. Looked in on the swimming pool but didnt use it ,looked good. Oh and your van is towed on and off your pitch as the roads are quite narrow but there is plenty of room once on there.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts