Fell in love with a new caravan.... But is it too heavy

Sep 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi, At the weekend I spotted my dream caravan (2003 Elddis Crusader Typhoon) and I REALLY want it. I tow a 1999 Typhoon gt (1350kg) with my 1992 BMW 525i sport. The car has had a Bilstein suspension kit fitted and tows brilliantly. I have tried looking up the kerb weight of the car and I think it may be as low as 1470, the new Typhoon MTPLM is 1550. I don't really want to change my car. If I bought the Typhoon would I have any insurance worries? I would consider buying another car, but I don't want to spend a lot of money. The BMW has been a nice car to drive and cheap to service at my local indy. What are my options for a cheap heavy older car capable of towing this van yet still be ok to drive?

I could just get a lighter van, but my wife and I really fell for the newer Typhoon.

Andrew

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Well you could first of all get confirmation from your beemer dealership to confirm your cars tow limit.

If you are still not able to tow with the beemer, you could look at a volvo or maybe an old Vauxhall senator. These were both favored as capable larger tow cars. You should be able to find plenty of Volvos at your local car auction going cheap. They are still worthy even with galactic miles on the clock solong as service history is there. Take a friend "in the know " if you can to view the cars as it will be a "buyer be ware" session.

Jun 21, 2006
Visit site
I can't believe your car only weighs 1470kg. I've just got a Mondeo and that's 1510kg, the BMW is a larger car. Have a look in the hand book or ring/go to a BMW dealership to check the figures.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If it does weigh in at around 1500kg, has bigger low profile tyres at the correct pressure, has a firmer suspension kit fitted, and the caravan has a hitch stabiliser and is loaded properly, then I wouldn't hesitate to tow the new Typhoon with it - and it probably won't be loaded to the full 1550kg. Legally, you will be fine with a car towing limit is 1800kg, and a 2.5l straight six should be plenty powerful enough. I'd say go for it.

Cheers

James

Sep 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi, thanks for the replies. I phoned BMW today and was told that the towing limit is 1500kg. The car has a set of wide low profile Momo alloys fitted which probably helps stability as well. With BMW stating a 1500kg limit and the Typhoon having a mtplm limit of 1550 I think I'm jiggered, I don't want insurance problems or to brake the law. I'm off this week so I went round a few dealers today looking at other vans. I quite like the new Sprite 6 berth with bunks at the back and a side dinette, but any vans that really took my fancy where over the 1500kg mark... Tomorrow I'm off to look at an Avante 556.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
your not jiggered yet.

In the eyes of the law, your total gross train weight ( weight of car plus caravan, plus occupants of the car) is what the men from the ministry look at. So long as you don't mind towin gat top weight, you could load the caravan 50kgs light on the beer and champers, then still be "legal".

My outfit is not quite that far over, it is only 10Kgs heavey on the mptl. So we just have to be a little carefull. I did load up first time around and go over our local public weigh bridge to check which cost me a fiver.

I'm sure the beemer will have enough horses to cope, but with low profile tyres you migh find grass a bit of a gripless area.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It is possible to have the MTPLM lowered on the side plate of the van - ask at the dealerships. I would look to have this done. I certainly wouldn't hesitate to tow 1500kg with you car.

Cheers

James

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts