Fendt Caravan prejudice

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Has anyone experienced prejudice as the owner of a German caravan? We recently took delivery of a new Fendt Platin and approached our local 'gold award' CASSOA storage site owner for storage.

The procedure was going fine until he asked us the make of the van. We were then declined on the grounds that "the Fendt looks too much like a Hobby". I am curious to know if other German caravan owners experience this kind of prejudice, based not on the name on the van, but on its colour. brian.f

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hiya Brian, did you get any explanation for the refusal? Perhaps he thought you might be a so called "traveler". But whatever the reason, it's very odd to say the least.

Barney

May 25, 2005
Visit site
We owned a twin axle Hobby (26' + drawbar) and had great trouble when it came to the insuring it even though it was fitted with a supermule, etc. There was no problem until the word 'HOBBY' was mentioned. The only company willing to take the van on was NFU.

We decided to try to relocate the Hobby from a seasonal pitch in the North East to North Yorkshire. Unfortunately, as soon as the dreaded word 'Hobby' came up the sites which had vacancies were suddenly full.

One particular site owner told us that the local police had advised against taking Hobby caravans on site.

This was nothing to do with the size, but the fact that travellers would be on site trying to steal it. We were also told that if our van was too well protected with safety devices the travellers would take another van off site instead!!!

Has anyone else had this problem?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
OH yes!we have come across this many times,and we have only had our Hobby for 3yrs...similar to yourselves but also had site attendants refuse us a pitch...because..eh..the van is too big..its not its the legal lenghth ect.or when phoning for a pitch..they say ..oh sorry we dont take twin axles..its not a twin axle!!

Its pure and utter snobbery and predudice of the worst kind.

Just because the travelling people use these vans.(and i dont know how accurate all these "stories"are about them pinching caravans,i would suspect that they are a load of rubbish)

Dont let the snobs grind you down..hold your head high with your quality made van....good luck.

Jun 9, 2005
Visit site
We owned a twin axle Hobby (26' + drawbar) and had great trouble when it came to the insuring it even though it was fitted with a supermule, etc. There was no problem until the word 'HOBBY' was mentioned. The only company willing to take the van on was NFU.

We decided to try to relocate the Hobby from a seasonal pitch in the North East to North Yorkshire. Unfortunately, as soon as the dreaded word 'Hobby' came up the sites which had vacancies were suddenly full.

One particular site owner told us that the local police had advised against taking Hobby caravans on site.

This was nothing to do with the size, but the fact that travellers would be on site trying to steal it. We were also told that if our van was too well protected with safety devices the travellers would take another van off site instead!!!

Has anyone else had this problem?
hi,Iwas interested to read your comments about hobbys.we were at lower skirlington leisure park nr skipsea.I can only say I've never seen so many seasonal hobbys in one area,there were all shapes 'n' sizes.Idont have one myself but i dont have any problems with those who do have one(including my sister and her family).p.s it was a very good site

Aug 19, 2005
Visit site
I'm looking at getting a used FENDT Caravan (1997 to 2002 ish model). I'm a bit concerned about the experiences people seem to have in insuring/siting them. Would you advise me not to go for this make? Are there any particular years or models within the date range that would be a good or bad buy? Thanks

Apr 15, 2005
Visit site
We have a Fendt 590 and before that we had two other models of Fendt and before that Hobby caravans. We have never had any trouble on any caravan sites with the make and model and none with storage / insurance. I`m sorry to hear others have and hope it wont put you off buying the caravn you want, especially as I can recommend Fendt as excellent caravans.

Jun 23, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

There is a Hobby site complete with forum. Loads of people on there discussing prejudices about German made vans. I don't have the full server details to hand - just put Hobby into your Google search engine and you will easily find it.

regards Tony.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

There is a Hobby site complete with forum. Loads of people on there discussing prejudices about German made vans. I don't have the full server details to hand - just put Hobby into your Google search engine and you will easily find it.

regards Tony.
thanks tony.will have a look.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts