Jan 23, 2007
Visit site
Last summer whilst crossing the channel we noticed some vans had the handbrakes applied while some don`t !

Is there any reason why the brake is left off or is it people forget when returning so they dont get apply in the first place.

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
The usual recommendation for a car (solo) on both Eurotunnel and the ferries is "handbrake on and engage first gear or park"

So it makes sense to me to put the van handbrake on as well.

Robert

May 18, 2006
Visit site
I think I read somewhere that you should apply the van handbrake on the ferry as well as the car's, which is what I think most people do.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
If you ever have the bad luck to experience a really rough ferry crossing you will realise why you should apply the vans hand brake. It will help prevent it moving back and forth in rough weather.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Chris,

As far as I'm concerned, the handbrake goes on the van as well as putting down the jockey wheel plus give it a couple of turns. Any amount of extra. "Foot on the ground" is good for me.

Jun 2, 2005
Visit site
What good is the lowered jockey wheel supposed to do? (Just curious)
I think it is a good idea to put the jockey wheel down, as in bad weather, when the ship pitches, it saves movement on the rear suspension of the car.

Cheers Jeff

Jul 1, 2005
Visit site
I think it is a good idea to put the jockey wheel down, as in bad weather, when the ship pitches, it saves movement on the rear suspension of the car.

Cheers Jeff
I have to say that i lower the jockey when on one of the longer ferry routes,ie out of Hull, saves wear on the car suspension, this was a tip from a deck officer on board

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts