Ferry Costs..SHOCK!

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
Just about to buy a caravan for myself, husband and 2 young children to travel UK and Europe. However I have just had a shock when checking ferry prices! Portsmouth to St Malo or Santander would be £1300 in August!! Unfortunately we are restricted to School hols and would like spend 3 weeks or so in the summer abroad and perhaps travel UK at other times! How best to reduce ferry cost??What are good value routes to Europe etc?

It's bad enough we live on Isle of Wight and have to pay £100+ to get off the island! The caravan we are getting is 7.2m long.

thanks

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
I think I've replied to your post on another forum, suggesting Norfolk Lines Dover to Dunkerque, and someone else has mentioned a cheap deal with Condor Ferries. Worth trying both of them for the dates you're looking at.

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
I think I've replied to your post on another forum, suggesting Norfolk Lines Dover to Dunkerque, and someone else has mentioned a cheap deal with Condor Ferries. Worth trying both of them for the dates you're looking at.
Yes, you did, thanks twice! I've yet to work out which forum to stick to so tried both!

Seems it can cost more to get off the Isle of Wight than it does to go to France!

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Yes, you did, thanks twice! I've yet to work out which forum to stick to so tried both!

Seems it can cost more to get off the Isle of Wight than it does to go to France!
I use both all the time - you get different contributors to each website, and lots of useful information between the two.

There are several other people who use both forums too - so don't worry about it (except that it does become a bit compulsive if you're a computer lover like me!!).

Apr 5, 2008
Visit site
Note for Lee -

they do. Our current van is 7.23m and we went last year. Also had a quote for this year on the basis of an alternative van of 7.95m.
Hi just checked on line it says caravans up to 5.5 did you have to ring if so have you got there phone number thanks in advance lee

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Hi just checked on line it says caravans up to 5.5 did you have to ring if so have you got there phone number thanks in advance lee
You will have to ring Camping Cheques on 01580 214 002 - they do not have the facility for you to book it on-line. Three days camping cheques will be included in your price. These do last for 2 years - just in case you do not use them this year.

Jul 3, 2006
Visit site
Hi

We're going to a wedding near portsmouth in August and thought of getting a ferry to France or Spain till we saw the cost, we save Tesco points and get

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
thanks for so many alternative options. yes, to avoid driving to Dover from Isle of Wight which is just over the water from Portsmouth would be ideal but if it's alot cheaper then I am sure it's worth the saving!

Now, where could I go with the caravan that would be warm at Easter!!??

Oct 11, 2008
Visit site
Hi Sarah,

For the last couple of years we have Wintered in the Algarve (Jan to May)We are there now, We have used LD Lines Portsmouth to Le Harve we found them the cheapest, arround

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts