Ferry Discounts

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Irish Ferries are giving 20% reduction on Dover to Calais throughout 2024 if booked before the end of February.
This morning a brochure from Brittany ferries also offering a free flexible booking upgrade if you book before end of Feb. I think the prices of using Brittany ferries is just that bit too much and putting people off booking. Also lower deposits. The last time we booked the deposit was a lot higher than previous.

If travelling from Dover to Calais I think we would prefer to use the Eurotunnel rather than a ferry, but thanks for the update as I am sure some will find it of benefit. If using a ferry it would be Caen or Santander, but no competition on the latter so can charge whatever they like to charge. :(

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
If you compare the cost of a ferry to France, with the cost of going to Spain the Spanish route is much better value.
Poole to Cherbourg with BF, car (no caravan) and 2 passengers in mid June, 4.5 hour day time crossing with no cabin is £309
Portsmouth to Caen same date £355
Portsmouth to Santander, same date, same vehicle and people, something like 34 hour (so 2 nights on board) crossing, and a compulsorary cabin, is £700 (that's with the cheapest cabin available)
So something like 5.5 times the elapsed time, and vastly more sea mles works out at about 2.5 times the cost of a channel crossing!
So I reckon the ferry to Spain offers far better value when you consider the time and distance comparison.
The crazy part of the Spanish crossing is that its only about £50 -£60 extra to take your caravan!!!

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
If you compare the cost of a ferry to France, with the cost of going to Spain the Spanish route is much better value.
Poole to Cherbourg with BF, car (no caravan) and 2 passengers in mid June, 4.5 hour day time crossing with no cabin is £309
Portsmouth to Caen same date £355
Portsmouth to Santander, same date, same vehicle and people, something like 34 hour (so 2 nights on board) crossing, and a compulsorary cabin, is £700 (that's with the cheapest cabin available)
So something like 5.5 times the elapsed time, and vastly more sea mles works out at about 2.5 times the cost of a channel crossing!
So I reckon the ferry to Spain offers far better value when you consider the time and distance comparison.
The crazy part of the Spanish crossing is that its only about £50 -£60 extra to take your caravan!!!
Ferry fares always appear better value on longer runs - but for most people, it's the absolute cost of ferry, fuel and pitch fees that's important.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Ferry fares always appear better value on longer runs - but for most people, it's the absolute cost of ferry, fuel and pitch fees that's important.
If I remember correctly the cost of taking dogs to Spain was higher than doing the crossing to Caen. When travelling to Spain from Plymouth it is only one night on the ferry. Can't remember but coming back to Portsmouth could be a one nighter also for some reason?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
If I remember correctly the cost of taking dogs to Spain was higher than doing the crossing to Caen. When travelling to Spain from Plymouth it is only one night on the ferry. Can't remember but coming back to Portsmouth could be a one nighter also for some reason?
Surely the ferry company timetable a schedules will tell you if it’s one or two nights on board. Departure time has an influence as does the specific ferry. We used the economy one which was slower than the latest cruise ferries.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Surely the ferry company timetable a schedules will tell you if it’s one or two nights on board. Departure time has an influence as does the specific ferry. We used the economy one which was slower than the latest cruise ferries.
Of course it is noted when booking. Plymouth to Santander ferry arrived at about 12pm in Santander and on return back to Plymouth at about 5pm and awkward time. Leaving from Portsmouth it arrives in Santander at about 8am.

Next time we go, we would leave from Plymouth to Santander and return to Portsmouth.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
On our last trip in June 2015 we were sailing by HMS illustrious in Portsmouth at 0824 (BST) on 6 June and passed the outer light at Santander on 7 June at 1035 (BST). One night on the economy ferry which I understand is no longer on the route.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Using Brittany from Portsmouth to Caen and using DFS from Newhaven to Dieppe there is a huge difference in price even if using a member's discount on Brittany. Difference is over £300, but if driving to La Rochelle about 2 1/2 hours extra driving and an extra cost in fuel of about £12!

Reactions: otherclive
Oct 31, 2022
Visit site
I just priced up a trip from Portsmouth - Santander in August for 2 people with car and caravan, basic cabin. Over £1700 That is a hell of a lot of difference compared to Eurotunnel at £450. I guess it is a case of shopping around and one is not always better than the other.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I just priced up a trip from Portsmouth - Santander in August for 2 people with car and caravan, basic cabin. Over £1700 That is a hell of a lot of difference compared to Eurotunnel at £450. I guess it is a case of shopping around and one is not always better than the other.
I have done that pricing and if travelling to Valencia the cost difference was minimal, but this was way back in 2018 when the fare was around £1200. It has really jumped up in price since 2018 raising by nearly a third!

I took into account at least 2 -3 stops on the way plus fuel costs. Worst was arriving tired at your destination. We did the trip from Roses to Caen stopping over for 2 nights at Milau and then again further up and eventually stopping over at Caen for the night.

We would not contemplate that trip again especially with two dogs as very unfair on them never mind the driver.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I have done that pricing and if travelling to Valencia the cost difference was minimal, but this was way back in 2018 when the fare was around £1200. It has really jumped up in price since 2018 raising by nearly a third!

I took into account at least 2 -3 stops on the way plus fuel costs. Worst was arriving tired at your destination. We did the trip from Roses to Caen stopping over for 2 nights at Milau and then again further up and eventually stopping over at Caen for the night.

We would not contemplate that trip again especially with two dogs as very unfair on them never mind the driver.
When your retired you just, choose how many stops your going to do so that no one gets tired or stressed out. That's the idea of a holiday, it is to be relaxed, no point in rushing to get to a place so your first in the queue to put your towel on a sunbed by the pool. Also not everyone wants to go to Spain.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts