Ferry to Spain more info please

Sep 27, 2006
Visit site
There are several postings re ferries to Spain on this forum but they don't quite answer my questions.

I would like to travel by ferry to Spain easter 2007.

As I live just west of London, Portsmouth is probably best.

I have 3 kids aged 7,5,2. My wife has concerns about a rough crossing.

So how bad is a rough crossing and what are the odds of having one?

Where are the best cabins for stability ie are you better of in the middle down bellow or on sides with a window?

If you go in the middle down bellow is there alot of engine noise?

How about AT ferries?

Spain is too ar to drive with little kids but am I letting myself in for shere hell on a ferry?

Is it worth driving to Portsmouth for a better service?

As the Spanish ferry question seems to be asked often for the benefit of others please reply in some detail.

Many thanks James

Jul 31, 2006
Visit site
James,

I've never used a ferry service to Spain so I simply can't comment on them.

However, apart from caravaning my other hobby is sailing, so I can comment on crossing the bay of biscay to either Santander or Bilbao.

The bay of biscay is great when it's calm, but it's hell on earth when it blows up, due to the fact that thats where the deep Atlantic meets the Continental shelf, so the big waves just pile up, giving what we sailors call a confused sea. An easter crossing could give you a chance of a rough crossing, just depends on how early or late easter is next year, the later it is the less likelyhood of a rough one.

Having said that, the ferries that sail from Portsmouth, are all now fitted with stabilisers, they should damp out a lot of the pitch & roll.

The beauty of the shorter crossings are that if it does blow up, you're only stuck on them for 7ish hours, not 30 plus, but the upside is that it does take a huge chunk of the driving out of it.

Having a wife who gets seasick looking at the Woolwich ferry, my only option is the channel tunnel!

Hope I hav'nt put you off.

GeorgeB

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I did Portsmouth Bilbao return Easter 2000. We went out in a force 9. The ship slammed into every wave, but it didn't roll. You knew it was rough, but it was easy to walk steadily and safely around the ship. You felt it hit each wave, but that wasn't a problem. It's nothing like those primary school day-trips to Boulogne via Sealink in a force 6 when you used to sit on the floor so you didn't fall off your seat.

When we went our kids were 10, 7 and 4. Take a few books and games up from the car. There is a swimming pool and cinema on board, and the usual shops, bars and restaurants etc. I don't know the cabin allocation system, but their call centre (08705 202020) will be able to help. We had an inside cabin but I would recommend an outside just to get some natural light in.

We suffered a "low" cabin Portsmouth St Malo one year, and there was a steady vibration from the engines through the night. I think we were below the waterline - a bit scary. If you want the best location for anti-sickness you need to be in an inside cabin just above the waterline. But it honestly doesn't make much difference - Pride of Bilbao used to be the Olympia, and has been on the Portsmouth route since 1993. You used to hear of the Brittany Ferries boat having to turn back to Santander or Plymouth, but never (to my knowledge) the Pride of Bilbao. She is about 40,000 tonnes I think, and I would be comfortable in more than a force 9.

We're driving down through France over 3 weeks next summer, then coming back on Bilbao - no hesitation.

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
Hi James,

We travelled from Portsmouth to Spain a few years back on the Pride of Bilbao. We also experienced a storm in the Bay of Biscay but as none of us suffer from seasickness we didn't find it too bad.

However, as we were travelling to El Delfin Verde on the Med we still had a long drive across Spain (8-9 hours). I don't think the extra cost + 2 nights on the ferry was worth it. The following year we took the Dover to Calais ferry and drove down through France. It only took an extra 8 hour drive to reach the same campsite with one overnight stop and cost almost

Oct 9, 2006
Visit site
I have never done the spain ferry it seems like a waste of money,I have two younger children one with ADHD I have travelled to El Dolfin three times in the past and find going through France suits our needs and the fact it only takes us around 24HR from Evesham

craig.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I have never done the spain ferry it seems like a waste of money,I have two younger children one with ADHD I have travelled to El Dolfin three times in the past and find going through France suits our needs and the fact it only takes us around 24HR from Evesham

craig.
Doh. there had to be one didn't there.

You spoiled my forum speed record attempt!!!!!!

Just kiddin mate. See general. Sad what boredom does to the brain.

Oct 9, 2006
Visit site
I have now made my mind up about the bilbao crossing we have just took the kids on it for a bit of fun during half turn, and had the delights of sailing through a storm force 12 for about 16hrs.

we have now decided that, dad we need a wee, is better than dad/husband please pass me yet another sick bag.

craig

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts