Fetching caravan

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Morning all, I’ve got a few days with no work so I was thinking of fetching the caravan from storage to do what’s needed, needs water system sterilised, sort out all the stuff inside as over winter I’ve been just putting stuff here there and everywhere to keep the air circulating, we are not due to go away for just under 3 weeks but being at home for these few days gives me plenty of time, so my question is do the current covid restrictions allow me to fetch it, the storage is 4.7 miles away and a 10 minute drive, I’m pretty sure the boys in blue wouldn’t nick me but I’d still like to know what the real rules would say?

BP

Reactions: JezzerB
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
There are no specific rules relating to caravans. You could look at the HMG website that goes into much detail about what is and what isn’t allowed. But since travel restrictions in England have just been lifted I think it most unlikely the police would take any interest in a caravan moving around. I saw a couple yesterday probably doing what you want to do and getting the vans ready for 12 April.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I wanted to bring my van home for servicing very recently, 15 miles each way. I called the police to be told it is a very gray area. And if stopped it might depend on what side of the bed the policeman got out of. So I opted to have the service done at the storage.

John

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Ok decision made I’m fetching it, next question is regarding the pads in hitch, I know that cleaning with brake cleaner but other than that I know nothing, I don’t think they will be worn as van is 2.5 years old, had a year and half on a permanent site and not much use since last March with first lockdown and since, I reckon I’ve heard about giving a scour with Emery paper or wire wool then clean with brake cleaner, this sound right to people?

BP

May 7, 2012
Visit site
According to my understanding there should be no problem with taking it out for a short drive now although before that it was a grey area. Possibly if the police spot you they may stop you, but more to check you are not using it for a holiday.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Im certain you would be legal. If you are concerned about the friction pads, why not start afresh with a new set. They are a doddle to hange.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Ok decision made I’m fetching it, next question is regarding the pads in hitch, I know that cleaning with brake cleaner but other than that I know nothing, I don’t think they will be worn as van is 2.5 years old, had a year and half on a permanent site and not much use since last March with first lockdown and since, I reckon I’ve heard about giving a scour with Emery paper or wire wool then clean with brake cleaner, this sound right to people?

BP
They have had minimal use and are virtually as new. I spray with brake cleaner. Rub with a dish scourer or the plastic type or fine wet and dry, and then respray with brake cleaner.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I wanted to bring my van home for servicing very recently, 15 miles each way. I called the police to be told it is a very gray area. And if stopped it might depend on what side of the bed the policeman got out of. So I opted to have the service done at the storage.

John
Hi John my caravan storage from home is 5.5 miles and where I take my caravan for service is 2.5 miles away and then back to storage then home ..

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I’d guesstimate the van hasn’t travelled more than 5 to 600 miles since new and it’s had all scheduled services with the next service due in June.

BP

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
There are no specific rules relating to caravans. You could look at the HMG website that goes into much detail about what is and what isn’t allowed. But since travel restrictions in England have just been lifted I think it most unlikely the police would take any interest in a caravan moving around. I saw a couple yesterday probably doing what you want to do and getting the vans ready for 12 April.
The rules don't have to mention caravans specifically in fact they don't have to be that specific they can be general .In Scotland we are supposed to stay within our council area but we have visited other areas without problems - don't think the police are policing this,they would need road blocks surveylance points etc.Only thing about a caravan - it sticks out like a sore thumb and all caravan parks are closed ?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The rules don't have to mention caravans specifically in fact they don't have to be that specific they can be general .In Scotland we are supposed to stay within our council area but we have visited other areas without problems - don't think the police are policing this,they would need road blocks surveylance points etc.Only thing about a caravan - it sticks out like a sore thumb and all caravan parks are closed ?
That’s precisely why I said that there were no rules specific to caravans, and advised that the question is best answered by looking at the respective government websites. Forums are not necessarily the best place to get a substantive answer as some will expound a view even if they haven’t read the government guidance in detail.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts