Fiamma Caravanstore

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I spoke to someone recently who uses one of these awnings on his caravan and reckons that they are great. They seem to be a handy alternative to a porch awning, being lighter and much easier to put up and take down.

Does anyone have one and are there any problems with them?

I realise that they can't be left up in wind, but if they are so easy to take down that shouldn't be a problem.

Jan 31, 2008
Visit site
I got one for our caravan just a few weeks ago, Clive, and tried it out on Wolvey Campsite just last week.

VERY happy with it. It's only a 190cm one since we only have a small 2 berth. Takes me about two minutes to set up and 3 minutes to put it away. I unzip the bag, release the velcro straps supporting the roll and unroll it to the bottom of the van. Leaving it hanging, I pull the legs out of the roll and extend the main legs. I can then lift the roll over my head and the legs then help take the weight while I extend and insert the two support rails to the slots inside the bag.

I then have a choice of using the slots mounted on the side of the van or stake the legs to the ground using pegs and guy ropes. The photo above shows the slots in use but the next day, it was a tad windy so I used the pegs. I put it away every night in case the wind got up overnight. Since it takes only minutes, it's easy and quick to set up and put away.

Jun 16, 2008
Visit site
We've had two of the Omnistor 'caravstor' variety (basically the same as the Fiamm 'caravanstor')

Good points:

Fairly quick to put up (we had the 4 metre version and it was definitely a 2 person job)

Rot proof - can be rolled away wet without problems

Stylish - matter of taste, but I like them.

Fiamma version (not Omni) can have additional side/front panels added - very expensive though, and rather defeats the object of a quick canopy.

Disadvantages:

VERY suceptible to wind, and if they get flipped over the van you will know about it!

Must have one leg lowered in heavy rain to prevent the rain puddling in the centre (this is obviously more of a concern with the larger versions - which also get supplied with an extra rafter pole)

Biggest concern - they are not really suitable for use on British caravans. They (as you know) hang from the awning rail, UK vans have the awning rails screwed into the van from the side - so the weight of the canopy is acting to pull those screws out (this effect can be made worse during travel)

Continental vans, otoh, have their awning rails screwed downards into the top of the caravan, hence weight on the rail tends to pull the screws even tighter. Additionally, many Continental vans have a reinforced section along the 'doorside' edge of the roof specifically to mount a a Fiamma/Omni awning (including the 'box' type a-la-motorcaravan style)

Damage to the caravan was a constant spurce of woory to us - and it was a pain to put it away every night 'just in case', particulalry as it aslo meant putting away everything else that couldn't be left unprotected.

We now use a Spacelite, bought specifically because its single pole design means no damage to the caravan if the thing gets blown down.

If an enclosed space is not important to you I would suggest an NR sun canopy - very simple to put up and more wind resistant than the Fiamma/Omni canopies (and, obviously, no chance of damage to the awning rail)

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I have used a Fiamma awning for the last 9 years and highly rate them.

Minutes to put up and if secured properly very stable in high winds,Easter for instance.

Never had an awning rail problem and when i have the awning up i move to the other side and use for additional shelter.

I usually put one side in to protect from the rain,this also only takes a couple of mins.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts