Fiamma on caravan when towing

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You might get better focused responses if you ask your caravan brands owners club forum.

Some combinations might work wonderfully together, but some might not.

I have never used one of these but I have seen plenty of them fitted, with no apparent issues.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I have never used one , just a porch awning.

It really depends on the age and the type of construction. My awning rail was replaced and sealed 5 years ago. I have no intentions of adding to its natural stress .

Whilst the fiamma may only weigh 10 kgs I suspect the loads at 60 mph and or on bumpy roads may considerably stress the rail and it’s fixings.
Why not ask the caravan manufacturer, particularly if your water ingress warranty is still in force.

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
There are Many Thousands of them in use on the continent. Their caravans are not all falling apart. Our last two Swifts didn't come to any harm. Our current caravan has a bag canopy. A standard awning, when tensioned, will apply more tension than a bag.

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Not sure I understand what you mean?

The canopy material is fixed to the awning bag on one edge and the outer "pole" on the other.
How can you travel with the canopy in the van? It's fixed to the bag is it not?

If you mean put the whole contraption in the van then I can only presume your canopy is a short one. How will you get it inside? Through a window?

Honestly you will do no damage simply using it as the manufacturer intended.

In my case the bag would rest against the top edge of the awning light. Same on my last van.. Simple answer was to take a length of foam pipe insulation and cut it in half lengthways. Cut the half sections into suitable lengths and fit flat edge to underside of bag using an impact adhesive. This holds mine slightly away from the van side and clears the awning light.

Never had the slightest issue.

The fundamental reason for us buying this style of canopy/awning was simplicity and speed. If you are talking about threading the thing into the rail every time you stop..................!!!! :unsure:

Tell me I've misunderstood please. I'm worrying now!
1. The bag hangs down low enough to be in contact with the awning light on my van.
2. the whole assembly (awning inside bag) slides onto the awning rail and can be easily slid off.
3.The Caravanstore awning is never the same length as the van and can easily be put inside van through a front or rear window.
4.Travelling with the awning on the rail does put a strain on the rail - I'm not saying it would damage the rail or lessen the seal integrity of the rail.Reading other posts this seems to be the case.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
1. The bag hangs down low enough to be in contact with the awning light on my van.
2. the whole assembly (awning inside bag) slides onto the awning rail and can be easily slid off.
3.The Caravanstore awning is never the same length as the van and can easily be put inside van through a front or rear window.
4.Travelling with the awning on the rail does put a strain on the rail - I'm not saying it would damage the rail or lessen the seal integrity of the rail.Reading other posts this seems to be the case.

I used to slide the bag through the front window to travel. Then I left it on for the summer. It is now on all year round. Reason, what you say is easy is no longer the case at 74 and partially disabled.

John

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site

Ah ! :rolleyes:

You must have access to your awning rail in a very different place to mine.

Mine is about 1/3 of the way down from the roof section at both ends.

When I pop my Caravanstore onto the van (I usually use a small air awning in winter for the UK) I have to unzip the bag, roll out the complete canopy, have my wife feed the awning bead edge (that's on the bag) into the awning rail, whilst I hold the aluminum pole and keep pace with her feed - the pole obviously doesn't bend!

No way would I consider doing this (and reversing the process) at every site I visited. Presumably yours is a short Caravanstore and you have no need to completely unwind it to thread along your rail (or your points of entry are very different from any van I've ever owned.

Anyway no matter. It's good to know that we often achieve the same end but by different routes is it not.

Reactions: Ern and Jcloughie
Sep 16, 2018
Visit site
Whilst I totally disagree with your sentiments I can't help but wonder just how much of a pull an air awning or sun canopy puts on the awning rail. Tension when pegging down for one thing but what about wind!
three years ago we were caught out in a strong wind with a poled awnings up, it survived fine with some careful attention but the way it rocked the van far exceeded any strain i would expect from a pull out awning on the road, which is mostly smooth running.

We travel with our Fiamma 410 in place and in the last two years of use have traveled several thousand miles with no problem.

However as said earlier I might hesitate with an older van where the awning rail is screwed on.

TRENDING THREADS