Fiamma on caravan when towing

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Hi, Does anybody leave their Fiamma caravan store canopy fixed to caravan awning rail while towing ? I’ve seen a few vans with Fiamma left on just wanted to know what forum members think ?
regards
Paul

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Hi, Does anybody leave their Fiamma caravan store canopy fixed to caravan awning rail while towing ? I’ve seen a few vans with Fiamma left on just wanted to know what forum members think ?
regards
Paul
Always took ours off. Didn't like the thought of it bouncing against side of van, or 'tugging' at the awning rail. Maybe wrong.... but satisfied my logic?

Reactions: Dustydog
Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
Always leave ours on. Whole point of the Caravanstore is speed and convenience and putting on and off does not float my boat. Currently we have a 360 but previously van longer and has a 410.

They are intended to be left on the van.

Work out the actual force on the rail. My 3.6 is 3.66 long at the rail and weighs 12.3kg. Consider a conventional awning that's 3.66 at the rail. Now consider the forces when the wind blows.

My advice is leave it hanging cool and ready! ;)

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the replies , might put it on at home and then leave it on , going up to Norfolk tomorrow for a few days and didn’t want to take awning , will definitely be easier to leave it on 👍

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
We have the 410 Fiamma. Putting it on and off is hard work when you are in your 70’s. So it is left on all year. This works well for us.

John

Reactions: Johnb
Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for the replies , might put it on at home and then leave it on , going up to Norfolk tomorrow for a few days and didn’t want to take awning , will definitely be easier to leave it on 👍

That's exactly why we have one!

Quick and easy to pop out or away. Certainly when touring in Europe we use it for any stop over 1 night. Wouldn't do that with a conventional awning. Just pegging out takes longer than setting up the Caravanstore canopy. No threading through awning channel either.

Stick it on and enjoy the convenience.

Have a great time in Norfolk.

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
That’s definitely made my mind up , on it goes and stays on until we decide to use awning again ; going to a CL in Norfolk called Sycamore farm , anybody been up there ? Reviews look good .😊

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
A couple of workshop mechanics advised me not to travel with the awning in the rail as it could lead to the awning rail leaking - having recently paid £1000 to have the awning rail resealed out of warranty, I have no intention of finding out if they're right or whether it's just an old wives tale.

Reactions: Dustydog
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
A couple of workshop mechanics advised me not to travel with the awning in the rail as it could lead to the awning rail leaking - having recently paid £1000 to have the awning rail resealed out of warranty, I have no intention of finding out if they're right or whether it's just an old wives tale.
[

I have also just paid out £1400 for re-sealing. Both lower rails, one front, and one small locker. But the rail were the awning has been for 4 years was and is OK.

I did loose confidence in engineers when they told friends of mine to not leave their blinds down when in storage as it will “weaken the springs”. And the blinds in question are all friction type.

Have you got stoppers fitted at each end?

1659888521650.jpeg

John

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
I have also just paid out £1400 for re-sealing. Both lower rails, one front, and one small locker. But the rail were the awning has been for 4 years was and is OK.

I did loose confidence in engineers when they told friends of mine to not leave their blinds down when in storage as it will “weaken the springs”. And the blinds in question are all friction type.

Have you got stoppers fitted at each end?

View attachment 3730

John
Haven’t got the end stops as seems quite sturdy as is also being a long straight length it wouldn’t/shouldn’t move past tight curves of awning rail , that’s my theory 👍

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
They sometimes move when travelling, but unlikely. And, as you say, too rigid to go round the corner when rolled up. I would not loose sleep.

John

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
It’s on already to go ! 👍

You'll have no problems with that set-up. Looks like a small canopy too.
If you buy end stops I would advise getting those where a metal screw goes through a plastic plug. They don't corrode and become impossible to shift.
As for not needing them I would advise you get them. Not only can (and probably will) the bag slide along the awning fail if you brake sharply but when up the wind will try to shift it too. (That sort of twists the whole thing).
Enjoy your holiday.

PS. I read that Jcloughie disagrees with my movement warning! I usually agree with stuff he posts but this time he's wrong! (sorry JC) mmmmmm! ;)

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We use to leave ours on the awning rail we found it so much easier getting to the site and putting up . so in your case i would give it a try

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
You'll have no problems with that set-up. Looks like a small canopy too.
If you buy end stops I would advise getting those where a metal screw goes through a plastic plug. They don't corrode and become impossible to shift.
As for not needing them I would advise you get them. Not only can (and probably will) the bag slide along the awning fail if you brake sharply but when up the wind will try to shift it too. (That sort of twists the whole thing).
Enjoy your holiday.

PS. I read that Jcloughie disagrees with my movement warning! I usually agree with stuff he posts but this time he's wrong! (sorry JC) mmmmmm! ;)

I don't disagree at all, I said it might move but unlikely. I suppose it depends on how easily it moves along the rail. It's a matter of degree. Also, I think the plastic stoppors it a wise move.

John

Nov 4, 2007
Visit site
I have used a roll out for years. I have left mine on for years moving it to any replacement van. I would recommend anti-seize grease on the threads of the stops.

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
Our Thule Omnistore stays on the caravan for the whole year. We use it for the whole year, as a sun canopy or as a shelter. Plastic rail stops have stainless steel torx screws.

Mar 3, 2022
Visit site
Can't remember which one it was, but not the Omnistore, that we had on the side of our van right up to the point where we found a load of damp around the awning rail and a bit of bruising along the bodywork where it hung.
Two engineers who looked at it both said straight away "You've had an awning on a bag up there and that's what has caused it"
Got rid of it and use either an air awning or a sun canopy.

Reactions: Dustydog and RogerL

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
On modern caravans, many awning rails are integrated into a corner molding, and even the rest have rails which are bonded with such strength that 10Kg spread over 3 or 4 metres length is not ever going to do any harm. Some of the older caravans may be unsuitable because they were poorly bonded, and screwed in place. We have travelled thousands of miles with a bag awning in place and never had a mark on the bodywork. Thule and Fiamma are quite similar and are both designed for travelling on the caravan.

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
Got rid of it and use either an air awning or a sun canopy.

Whilst I totally disagree with your sentiments I can't help but wonder just how much of a pull an air awning or sun canopy puts on the awning rail. Tension when pegging down for one thing but what about wind!

If you are talking about a decent sized air awning then that in itself carried a sizeable weight penalty. There are many who have struggled to thread an air awning along the rail and changed to something more manageable.

Sorry to hear of your structural damage allegedly caused by carrying a "bag awning".

All I can say, and numerous others have clearly said, the tug a bag awning puts on the rail when travelling is negligible. When set up and out it will pull against the rail no more and no less than a similar sized air or poled awning. In fact, if just used as a canopy, maybe considerable less.

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
regards
Paul
The awning bag will hit the awning light on our van (according to dimensions),don't know if this will damage the light when travelling.Hadn't considered the strain on the awning rail when travelling.Think I will travel with the canopy inside the van.

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
The awning bag will hit the awning light on our van (according to dimensions),don't know if this will damage the light when travelling.Hadn't considered the strain on the awning rail when travelling.Think I will travel with the canopy inside the van.
I fitted 3 packer plates (12mm white foamex 90 x 60 behind the plastic moldings at the back of the bag. You wouldn't know they're there if I didn't tell you. The awning light isn't in contact.

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site

Not sure I understand what you mean?

The canopy material is fixed to the awning bag on one edge and the outer "pole" on the other.
How can you travel with the canopy in the van? It's fixed to the bag is it not?

If you mean put the whole contraption in the van then I can only presume your canopy is a short one. How will you get it inside? Through a window?

Honestly you will do no damage simply using it as the manufacturer intended.

In my case the bag would rest against the top edge of the awning light. Same on my last van.. Simple answer was to take a length of foam pipe insulation and cut it in half lengthways. Cut the half sections into suitable lengths and fit flat edge to underside of bag using an impact adhesive. This holds mine slightly away from the van side and clears the awning light.

Never had the slightest issue.

The fundamental reason for us buying this style of canopy/awning was simplicity and speed. If you are talking about threading the thing into the rail every time you stop..................!!!! :unsure:

Tell me I've misunderstood please. I'm worrying now!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts