Fiat Ducato difficult starting when hot

Feb 21, 2020
Visit site
Our 2017 Ducato 2.3 150bhp can be very difficult to start when it is hot. The engine fires but then cuts out immediately and it takes 3 or 4 attempts before it finally runs. It has had a software update that was supposed to cure the problem, but it made no difference. Has anyone experienced the same problem or had a cure for it?

Feb 21, 2020
Visit site
It was but it has been back to the main Fiat Camper dealer three time for this fault and they cant find any fault. They are keeping it under review in case it re occurs.

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
I think you have said it yourself you have had a software up date fot the problem and it is not right, get it back to the dealer,

Underwood

BANNED
Jan 28, 2020
Visit site
It was but it has been back to the main Fiat Camper dealer three time for this fault and they cant find any fault. They are keeping it under review in case it re occurs.

I am not aware of any hot-starting issues with Euro 6 Ducatos (I assume your 2017 vehicle has a Euro 6 powerplant) and there seems to be no similar complaints on the Fiat Forum or on the larger more active motorhome forums.

If, when the motor is reluctant to start, no error code is stored in the vehicle’s ‘memory’ it will not be easy for your Fiat Professional agent to diagnose what is causing the problem. (Presumably it has been possible to demonstrate the problem to the Fiat agent?)

Ducato software revisions are fairly common and normally installed as part of an official Fiat service. So perhaps a ’normal’ software revision was applied to your motorhome and it was hoped that this would do some good., rather than a software change made specifically intended to address starting difficulties.

You say that Fiat is aware of the problem and is keeping it under review. If the hot-starting fails to improve you will need to take a tougher line with the Fiat agent.

(Has your Ducato always had this problem, or did it show up reasonably recently?)

Underwood

BANNED
Jan 28, 2020
Visit site
The Iveco-built 2.3litre 150bhp motor initially became available in Ducato “X250" vehicles in mid-2011 in Euro 5 form.

In mid-2014 the Ducato X250 design was facelifted, The revised range was now generally referred to as “X290” and the Euro 5 150bhp motor was tweaked, with Fiat calling its emissions standard “Euro 5+”.

In mid-2016 the 150 motor became Euro 6-compliant.

A potential identification problem with motorhomes is that there will almost always be a delay - sometimes a very long delay - between when the base-chassis is delivered to the motorhome converter and when the completed motorhome is eventually registered and sold retail. So Chris’s 2017 motorhome’s 150 powerplant might well be Euro 6-compliant, or its Ducato chassis might have been made prior to mid-2016 and its 150 motor would then be Euro 5+ (like the the 150 motor in my own Ducato-based motorhome).

I doubt it will be important if the emissions standard of the 150bhp motor in Chris’s Ducato is Euro 5+ or Euro 6 as the hot-starting problem he has described is clearly not normal. As I said above, I have not come across anything anywhere else about hot-starting problems with recent Ducatos.

The Iveco-built 2.3litre motor is fitted to Fiat Ducato and Doblo (installed transversely) and Iveco Daily (installed longitudinally). As far as I am aware Ducato, Doblo and Daily are the only European applications for the 2.3litre engine.

Chris could try asking about this on the Fiat Forum, and/or on the MotorHomeFacts, MotorHomeFun and OutandAboutLive motorhome forums, with the last motorhome forum probably the best for an expert technical discussion.

If Chris seeks advice on other forums, expanding his enquiry should allow for more focused feedback. Selecting from the following should help:-

1: Make, model of motorhome (assuming it is a motorhome Chris has!) and its current mileage.
2: Confirmation that its motor is Euro 6 or Euro 5+.
3: Vehicle transmission - manual or ComfortMatic.
4: When the hot-starting problem first showed up. Had the Ducato always done this or, if not, when did the behaviour commence? Had anything significant happened (like a service or under-warranty work being performed) not long before the hot-starting issue began?
5: What was the Fiat Professional-installed software revision supposed to have done? (eg. Modify the fuel injection programming.) When was the software revision carried out?
6: Is the hot-starting difficulty still happening? If so, how regularly is it occurring?
7: What possible explanation (if any) has the Fiat Professional agent given?
8: What has Fiat Camper told Chris to do if the problem persists? (Hopefully Chris has a Fiat Camper reference, emails, etc. proving that the issue commenced within the Fiat 2-year warranty period but could not be successfully cured.)

Feb 21, 2020
Visit site
Hi, Thank you for all your help. It is a 150bph Mutijet2 Euro 6 engine and has done 10,000 miles. It only has 7 days left on the warranty so I have raise the issue with Fiat Customer services to see if they can help, as you suggest.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts