Filling our Gaslow cylinder

Nov 12, 2007
Visit site
We now have our new Gaslow system in place, so now we need to find places where we can fill it.
We don't always have internet access when touring, especially abroad, so need to obtain maps/lists for various countries, or something to download to our sat nav (Garmin Nuvi).
Any suggestions for the best lists?
Initially for UK, Belgium, Germany, Austria and Italy.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Jennifer said:
We now have our new Gaslow system in place, so now we need to find places where we can fill it.
We don't always have internet access when touring, especially abroad, so need to obtain maps/lists for various countries, or something to download to our sat nav (Garmin Nuvi).
Any suggestions for the best lists?
Initially for UK, Belgium, Germany, Austria and Italy.

I would have thought that you would have queried this first before having the system fitted? Why don't you contact GASLOW and ask them as I am sure that they can supply you with all the outlets.

Jul 6, 2007
Visit site
Try www.autogasshop.co.uk, they sell a European reference Book. I have never had any trouble finding a station, as you tour around you will just come across them. Do not forget you need different adaptors for France, Spain, Switzerland etc!! UK ones DO NOT fit!!!
Good Touring.

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Jennifer
Just how much gas do you intend to use. I have one 10kg refillable cylinder and in summer that lasts months, I just top it up when I feel it needs it usualy late season, after 6 weeks away. certainly never needed to top up while in France.

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
I have an app on my Android phone, FillLPG, which is UK only, but it's the best I tried for the UK. There are others that cover europe.

If you have an iPhone, bin it and buy an Android phone

Nov 12, 2007
Visit site
David O said:
Jennifer
Just how much gas do you intend to use. I have one 10kg refillable cylinder and in summer that lasts months, I just top it up when I feel it needs it usualy late season, after 6 weeks away. certainly never needed to top up while in France.

Hello from Austria!
We have room in our front locker for 2 x 6kg cylinders, the bigger ones are too tall. Usually we carry 2 x 6kg CalorLites and in a 3 or 4 month trip will use one full bottle and start on the second if we use EHU as much as possible.
Our problems this trip were that we went quite early (25th March from home) so it was a bit chilly, in Germany and Austria EHU is frequently metered and units cost about 75 euro cents (60p/kwh!!) and our Alde heating etc can get through 20kwh per day easily, and in Italy you are lucky to get more than 6 amps on most sites!
So being able to use gas without worrying about running out has been a big plus. We found plentiful supplies in Belgium, Holland, Germany and Italy, but limited filling places in Austria (and Switzerland is apparently similar).
As it turned out, we struck hot weather in both Austria and Italy, and have been fairly lucky with EHU amps, so we have now used about 1 x 6kg bottle so far in 53 days. We do however do quite a bit of cooking, wash-up in the van, and mainly use our own shower, so probably use more gas/electricity than the average caravanner.
We have fitted 1 Gaslow 6kg bottle, and carry a 6kg CalorLite as back up.

Nov 12, 2007
Visit site
tessandan said:
I have an app on my Android phone, FillLPG, which is UK only, but it's the best I tried for the UK. There are others that cover europe.

If you have an iPhone, bin it and buy an Android phone

Hmmm, we only have a phone! As OAPs, luxuries such as iPhones are not on our list, we're spending the money on diesel instead.

Nov 12, 2007
Visit site
oldievanner said:
Try www.autogasshop.co.uk, they sell a European reference Book. I have never had any trouble finding a station, as you tour around you will just come across them. Do not forget you need different adaptors for France, Spain, Switzerland etc!! UK ones DO NOT fit!!!
Good Touring.

Thanks for the tip. Yes, we have all the adaptors and it has indeed turned out pretty straight forward to refill as required.

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Can't help with the question but am interested in how you fill the cylinder. A number of places, Shell and Morrisons I understand, won't let you fill stand alone cylinders. Where have you folks refilled the cylinders please? My local autogas station has told me that Calor has forbidden them to fill refillable cylinders.

Nov 12, 2007
Visit site
With the Gaslow system, the cylinder is fitted permanently in the van (instead of one of our CalorLite cylinders), and filled via a fixed filling pipe through a filler cap fitted in the side of the front locker........just like filling a car that uses LPG.
These systems are approved for filling in this way, whereas some places will not permit the refilling of portable cylinders. This was why we decided to go for the Gaslow system.
The slight disadvantage is that you need to take the caravan along to buy the gas, but this is not really a big problem when you are touring. Unfortunately we have no LPG stockists close to us, but it's easy enough just to stop at the first suitable one after we leave home and get our initial fill.

It works out much cheaper than Calor too, less than half the cost for a full fill, but the initial system is not cheap, so it would take many years to save money. Saving money was not the reason we went for it, just a bonus!

http://www.motorcaravanning.co.uk/shopuk/gaslow_refillables.htm
http://www.gaslow.co.uk/

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts