Filthy people habits and dog fouling of land act

Mar 29, 2005
Visit site
I've just read the strands on dog mess, and I must say that I am absoulutely disgusted at the kinds of antisocial and filthy attitidues and habits that I have witnessed at CC club sites in Cornwall over the past 7 weeks. In the majority, the kinds of people on site were empty nesters with dogs of the saga age group (like ourselves) - who should therefore know better. What we have experienced on a daily basis from both sexes are the following:

dog mess all over the dog walks which has been left despite more than adequate provisions of bins, shovels and bags for its proper disposal

the filthy contents of a toilet cassette having been emptied all over the floor of the disposal room and left there for the poor wardens or whoever else felt inclined to clean up

sanitary towels thrown down toilets

toilets that have not been flushed after having been used for both kinds of excreta

taps that have been left on flooding sinks

showers left on

showers that have not been mopped up at all despite the offenders being confronted with a request to do so

showers that have been mopped up with sopping mops

rubbish left alonside bins despite requests not to do so and with adequate numbers of bins regularly emptied

filthy peelings and other remains from dishwashing activities left in the veg and dishwashing preparation areas

soap powder spillages all over washing machines in the laundry rooms despite adequate cloths to clean them up

can practical caravan provide an article on this issue? has anyone else experienced such disgusting filthy personal habits?

by the way did any of you know that under the dog fouling of land act caravan sites can request their local council for their land to be a designated area for enforcement of dog fouling laws, and providing they are prepared to enforce the area themselves the local authority would normally agree to do this, and under the new laws a fine of £75 by fixed penalty is payable, failiure is £1000 in a court of law, I understand that these fines can be retained by the enforcing authortity so it could pay for itself whilst really getting the message home to the culprits

I'd be interested to read something about this in the magazines

Sian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
On the Continent many people consider the English to be the filthiest in Europe. The report by Sian helps to confirm this, if true. In more than 20 years of camping I have never found such filth on any camp site in France, Germany, Spain, Denmark, Sweden, Holland, Belgium or Luxembourg. Why are the English so disgusting?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Makes me wonder what camp sites you have been on. The caravan Club sites must be an example to the world for cleanliness and management.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Makes me wonder what camp sites you have been on. The caravan Club sites must be an example to the world for cleanliness and management.
Well said, Roadrunner, the CC standards are second to none, and the main reason I use the sites. One or two members let the side down, like the inconsiderate b*****d who let his dog crap all over the Merrose Farm site last July.

I've been on one or two private sites that would give you nightmares, so it's the CC for me.

Barney.

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
you must be a very unlucky person in your choice of site sian, we have visited a different site every three weeks for the past 8 years and have never witnessed the filth you quote. yes on some sites you do get the odd person who will be inconsiderate to others but we have always found that if you ask them they will correct theire ways, only once have we had to ask the warden to intervene and he immediately removed the offenders from site. regarding dog mess, you have to shame these people who think they can still get away with not cleaning up after the pet, i have two dogs and always clean up after them as do the majority of owners but there will always be jack the lad or the lady who is too perfect, embaras them it usually works.

The problem with the toilets and showers is that most wardens have a set rota each day and will not deviate from this, problem being if the site is busy then cleaning the toilet twice a day is just not good enough, i was recently on a commerciall site on the isle of white which had only one cleaner for the loos and showers, he had no problems coping whilst we where on site as only 10 vans where pitched but two weeks earlier another cobtributor to this forum had been on site and stated that it was filthy beyond belief. after conversing with the warden i found out that at this time the site had over 800 vans pitched but still only had one cleaner.

I take it you are complaining about club sites mainly which is very strange as we have always found them to be amongst the best maintained and respected, having said this we have cancelled both our memberships this year as we can no longer stand the over enforced and unworkable rules that both clubs have, i go away to enjoy myself not to be told when i can turn up, when i must leave , what time i must be in bed, and as for my children, they like smiles not frowns.

Jul 22, 2005
Visit site
with regards to dog mess (this is at home) we have a neighbour who lets their dog (an over grown water rat) do its business outside our off road parking area and they duly receive it back it either hits their car when i throw it off the spade or lands on their drive. hopefully they will take the hit and poop scoop like we do!!

yc

May 21, 2008
Visit site
As a responsible dog owner myself (two big Labradors)with poop scoop in hand, I have to agree with Sian on some points.

I have visited sites (not only in Cornwall) where humans behave like animals let off the liesh.

I realy don't understand why people have to abuse the facilities provided by site owners. What ever happened to the old saying "leave it as YOU'D expect to find it"

I'm afraid today there's far too much of "I'm alright Jack sod the rest of them".

If you hold the door open for someone today they think you're either going to charge for it or mugg them.

If you say thankyou for some thing or say "pass my compliments to the chef" you get "uh??" as a reply.

Moan over

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
I agree entirely with Sian,

We consider ourselves to be responsible dog owner, and abhore those who do not clear up behind their dogs.

As far as anti social behaviour in the toilet blocks is concerned, I'm afraid I cannot comment as I never use the facilites....for that reason, and neither the washing up area.!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Whilst I have come accross some dirty facilities - I have to say it was due in both cases to children from a group that seemed to want to spent the entire w/e in an alcoholic haze and let their kids do what ever they wanted.

They also let there dog do what they wanted as well.

The vast majority of site we have stayed at have been excellent both from the owners and the users point.

I still feel a "contract" of some kind on arrival re the dog poo is the best way to go AS WELL AS all responcible dog owners letting it be known that leaving dog poo or letting your dog run free is not acceptable behaviour.

Trouble is if you complain to the site owner and they just shrug - what do you expect.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
how can you ever educate dog owners when they gladly let their dog smell around any area that other dogs have been and immediately let the dog lick their faces etc. HOW DISGUSTING

Mar 29, 2005
Visit site
I think that some of you are missing the point, I am not complaining about the cleaning regime or the CC sites but the PEOPLE who are abusing them, both sites were CC members only sites which makes it worse and I just feel sorry for the poor wardens who have to clean up other people's mess. Both sites noted that complaints had been received from members about the dog mess with a message that offenders would be asked to leave, however this doesn't appear to be effective. I would also point out that on another site this year, the warden at Tredegar House had a sign up in the ladies which informed us that anyone caught stealing the cloths from the washrooms would be evicted. Can you believe that anyone would want to steal the cleaning cloths from the washrooms?! All I can say its a pretty sorry state of affairs that some people just don't care, but at the end of the day what can be done? My huband has to clean the toilets every day before he uses them because they have been left in a filthy state by the person previous, disgusting. As for the comment about the saga age group, I was referring in general to those over 50, some women don't menaupasue until quite some years later, so the comment made was irrelevant. I'm going back down there next week so perhaps this time I'll take some digital photos to show you all, what do you think of that?

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Having just got back from Bladon Chains C.C. site I feel the need to step up on my soapbox regarding this thread as I do most threads regarding dog mess.In my opinion C.C. sites are the cleanest, with the exception of dog walks and in that respect they are no different to any other site, the wardens can't be held to account for that. After arrival at Bladon Chains we were pitching up and noticed the people who had arrived before us had let their dogs wander off by the dog walk while they pitched up. Sure enough one of them did a dump without the owners seeing it or even caring. Now I have a short temper so rather than confront the owners I reported it to the wardens who went to speak to them. The wardens assured me that they do catch offenders and ask them to leave the site (in this case they never). We took our dogs along the walk twice and my wife and I both times trod in dog mess. After that we took our lives in our hands walking along the lane outside the site which motorists used as a rat run. Even then we still picked up our own dogs faeces even though it was on the grass verge. Imagine being a warden and after cutting the grass each time you had to clean dog mess off the mower - yuk.

Regarding showers etc. I dont often use them because I cant see the point in paying

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Regarding dirty toilets, we've also noticed this on CC sites, but some of it seems to be down to the CC. The toilets they seem to install on most sites have water-saving cisterns fitted. These use less water than conventional cisterns. Great for saving water, but not so clever at flushing away waste!!! I have a friend who is a plumber & his callouts to unblock toilets has risen due to these "new" cisterns being installed more often.

Of course, this doesn't exscuse mess down to peoples bad habits, but it is one of the reasons that the toilets sometimes look like they haven't been cleaned for a long time.

May 25, 2005
Visit site
Welcome back LB! If you want to see an exceptionally well kept doggy walk (by all who use it) take at look at Cirencester CC. There are so many doggy waste bins (5) on the field that there is always one quite close to hand. I couldn't fault this particular site.

As for a statement in LARGE LETTERS re-ejection of members allowing their animals to foul the site/doggy walks - I doubt this could be enforced unless we has a warden permanently located in both these areas.

On some sites (both clubs) I have witnessed members allowing their animals to foul BELOW the waste bins!!! When it was brought to their attention all I received was a sheepish nod and a pair of clean heels!

Mar 29, 2005
Visit site
I'm glad that I'm not the only one that has noticed these things, I have just received and read this months issue of CC magazine, and would refer you all to the editors comments and the letter of the month. Need I say anymore? I agree that non complying members should be named, shamed and permanently banned from ever using a club site again.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts