Finding a van to suit a car not a car to suit a van.

Jan 6, 2008
Visit site
I have been looking for a caravan to suit my Citroen Picasso 1.6 petrol 2006 for over 18 months with the 85% rule in mind what a job. We needed 3/4 birth as I have a disabled daughter who comes on holidays with us. After dragging my poor wife round caravan shows showrooms forcourts etc we could not find a van that would match up all to heavy? I was just about to give up when Practical Caravan did a artical on Bailey 460/4 and the Sprite 4.

This give us fresh hope. Cutting a long story short we went for the Bailey if we travel light one gas cylinder etc weigh every thing placed into the van we can keep just to the 85% rule and well within the max wieght the van can take.We went to York and had no problems at-all. Just to put my own mind a rest I found the steepest hill I could find to do a hill start. Did Have to bring the revs up a bit but not to exess pulled away with ease.

Well all the best for now happy safe caravaning Steve & Janet Young.

Sep 8, 2006
Visit site
We had the same problem with same model picasso 2 year ago. We were told that a picasso had a towing limit of 1300kg and found our perfect van(bailey ranger 470/4). We were gutted when we got to Barrons reception only to find that a 1.6 picasso was restricted to towing 900kg's. The option we took was to change the car that year and we got our Ranger last year. All set up now... Glad you got sorted, enjoy... Dan.

Jan 6, 2008
Visit site
Hi again

Yes we were well taken back. A car which we had purchased new from Citroan main dealer who had been asked what was the max towing weight braked it could pull.Reply 1300kg and its on the cars spec sheet? When I did my own sums mtplm van 1184kg DIV by car weight unladen 1240kg x 100 = 95% if you load van to its max weight.What I have done take mro weight 972kg left factory and every thing placed into van weighed battery gas spare-wheel pots pans clothing fire ex etc etc etc no awning traveling very light weight off van 1072kg DIV 1240kg x 100 = 86% which I am more happy with till I can afford to change tow car.

Stephen & janet Young

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts