First ever shock

May 29, 2018
Visit site
Just on a whim and whilst getting an aquaroll water mains hook-up thingy we had a look at a few caravans at teh local dealership (as you do).

We saw a nice Bailey with a layout that we are going to have to move to at some point as the Binks are not really any good for one teenager and one that thinks she already is.

So we humour the salesman who goes and gets our details (as they sold us our current van from new)

I get the VAT bit but still was a little taken aback that our van (from the price on the window when buying - and its extra bits) has lost £7000 in less than 2 years.

Or is this about right?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Just on a whim and whilst getting an aquaroll water mains hook-up thingy we had a look at a few caravans at teh local dealership (as you do).

We saw a nice Bailey with a layout that we are going to have to move to at some point as the Binks are not really any good for one teenager and one that thinks she already is.

So we humour the salesman who goes and gets our details (as they sold us our current van from new)

I get the VAT bit but still was a little taken aback that our van (from the price on the window when buying - and its extra bits) has lost £7000 in less than 2 years.

Or is this about right?

what price did you pay for it? I guess he would have negotiated more if he thought that you were seriously interested although looking at new and one year old prices they seem to be very resilient and holding as advertised. . But vans do depreciate most in the early years after that it slows down and price becomes more based on condition and history.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Worth going elsewhere for a similar quote maybe? Or even two more! Check online prices of your caravan and see what they sell for then take off 1-2k for dealer profit,yes really and see where you end up perhaps.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
When I traded a French pop top I got £5k and it went on sale two days later at just under £9k and sold quickly. My present van I got a buy in price of £6k and the showed me the traders book too. At the time they were being advertised anywhere between £9-10k. A selling website told me that even private sales were fetching £8500 to £9000

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We brought a brand new bailey from a caravan dealer kept it for 5 years had it service every year a friend had a different layout we took a fancy to so we look at the trade in we would lose £3k if we went that route . ( but we decided to sell it private) put it up on preloved it was sold in 1hr .

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We lost less than that after 4 1/2 years on our last caravan which was bought new, and that had damp issues that the dealer needed sort under warranty before they could sell it. Like the others I would suggest you look round and see what other dealer will do. Depreciation on caravans is a lot less than cars, indeed in the dim and distant past we actually got more for one caravan than we bought it for.

May 29, 2018
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

I believe the price we paid was around 19,000 and we were offered 13,000 (ish) according to the sales guy. We put the order in for it (at a show) almost exactly 2 years ago to the day.

I’ve even found the picture from the show. £19530. Which included a free motor mover and the swift diamond pack.

Last edited:
Reactions: otherclive
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

I believe the price we paid was around 19,000 and we were offered 13,000 (ish) according to the sales guy. We our the order in for it (at a show) almost exactly 2 years ago to the day.

For interest what price range are dealers pricing them at now? I would expect a £3-4K mark up. Unlike cars which can be 40-50% mark up on trade in.

May 29, 2018
Visit site
For interest what price range are dealers pricing them at now? I would expect a £3-4K mark up. Unlike cars which can be 40-50% mark up on trade in.

Amazingly a quick search found the same model with diamond pack on Auto Trader for £14,295. But that’s for a 2016 model - ours is a 2019 model!!!!

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
OUCH! The suggestion to take your trade somewhere else is a good one. Of course if you can sell privately then you have bargaining power for a discount on the new as well - or at least some freebies like a starter pack / awning / motor mover. A 2 year old van with complete service record and ?transferable warranty should sell like hot cakes and by your description you have plenty of leeway on the selling price to still come out on top!

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The answer is keep it! Our Wyoming brand new cost us £16850 eleven years ago. Today I’ve been offered £8500 px. The current replacement is £30k.
I have to ask what a new unit will do better all round? Does make you think!
plus these days we don’t worry about the odd dent , spillage etc.

Reactions: otherclive
May 29, 2018
Visit site
The only reason we are looking at changing is that we really need a different layout now our children are a bit older. Fixed bunkbeds don’t really work for 13 and 11 year old girls.

Reactions: Dustydog
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The only reason we are looking at changing is that we really need a different layout now our children are a bit older. Fixed bunkbeds don’t really work for 13 and 11 year old girls.

My local dealer has more Sold signs than For Sale on their used Caravans.
Maybe advertise privately through the CAMC and others, avoiding px?

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
I don't feel like I am losing much after 7 years of ownership, sell private and always get a good discount buying new.

I think buying new at present is a poor idea due to low production numbers and high demand.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I don't feel like I am losing much after 7 years of ownership, sell private and always get a good discount buying new.

I think buying new at present is a poor idea due to low production numbers and high demand.
That what we are hoping to do sell private and go for this when the time is right

Attachments

• 4TBEW01.gif
    4TBEW01.gif
    6.3 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: xtrailman

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts