First Night Out. OMG

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
As we are totally new to caravaning we decided to go to a fairly local campsite to 'try it out'. I'm so glad we did.
First of all we woke up on sat morning all ready for the off, hitched up the caravan and noticed some little scrote had ripped my wheel cover off, my manoevering handle, water heater cover and what I thought was the water pump cover (which turned out to be the whole water pump, wires and all),
smiley-yell.gif

Got to the site ok, levelled up ok, went to put on the gas and realised I had the wrong regulator fitting for the bottle. tried to find a signal for t.v. aerial but the aerial didnt work, realised now that the water pump attachment was missing, the battery wouldnt charge so no 12v and then started on the awning which I had never even seen how to do. Got to say thanks to a caravanner named Jason who helped me with awning. Took 1 hour. Absolutely hammered down all night but we didnt get wet.
Had a lovely relaxing afternoon and evening, went out for dinner and had the worst meal ever. Had to send two meals back twice.
All in all though we still had a great time and it hasn't dampened our spirits. Got back Sunday, reported thefts, ordered new omnidirectional aerial and battery, changed regulator. Hopefully next time it wont be so eventful !
So glad I decided to try it out. OMG!

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
hi Mike,
welcome to the forum, glad you enjoyed your first outing even if there were a few niggles to contend with, theres a old saying expect the unexpected and thats very true in our hobby, even the best laid plans sometimes go astray.
we have just returned from a week in devon, a very wet week in devon where I broke the breakaway cable after pitching because I forgot to unhook it, found the water pump didn't work as the impeller was seized and had to buy a new pump, got a puncture on the car on the way down on the M1 and one on the van on the way back on the M5 had the van floor flooded when I forgot to close the roof vent when it rained heavy while we were out, and had to do a lengthy detour through Birmingham when a HGV forced us off the M42 slip road by undertaking us at the last minute, and the awning is still drying out draped over the van as I had no choice but to take it down wet,
but did it spoil our week away no chance we off again in 3 weeks it's all part of the fun?
had we not gone and stayed at home we would not have been able to have a brilliant day out at the donkey sanctury at sidmouth to visit our 2 sponsed donkeys, meet the staff that looks after them and feed them biscuits.
any time away in the van is worthwhile even if there are a few niggles to contend with but I am sure you have realised that even after the first trip.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to the wonderful world of caravanning! If that weekend hasn't put you off, then you are truly a died-in-the-wool caravanner.
Just to rub it in though, we've just got back from three great weeks away, taking in Cheshire, Cumbria, Herfordshire, and Newport. Weather could have been a lot better, but we had fun, and nowt went wrong!

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Hello from a fellow newbie. We had our caravan delivered (18 months old) in Jan and had to wait weeks until our first trip away in March on the first lovely weekend of the year ... totally hooked! Mind you, since then we've been out in it in all weather conditions now apart from thunder and lightening. Nearly froze to death as OH set the heater on wrong setting overnight, never been so cold in all my life, Done all the usual silly things that newbies do but you live and learn and as someone else commented, if you can still enjoy yourselves whatever the weather and still get excited and cannot wait to go away again, then you are true caravanners. On our last trip my OH was gutted as he hit a post and ripped our wheel arch off ... luckily in one piece so it will go back to the dealers to have a leaky tap fixed and we'll get them to fit the arch back on. Also a problem with the motor mover controls, but these things happen. I've taken to going to the van, just for an excuse to smell it as it reminds me of being relaxed on holiday! Sad I know, but hey ho I'm sure other caravanners know where I'm coming from. Not a cheap hobby by a long shot as we're finding filling our Sorento expensive BUT we have cut down in other areas (shoes mainly for me ha ha) and it's amazing what incentive there is to save when planning where you're off too next. Best of luck with your travels and this forum is brill - everyone is so friendly. Lisa
smiley-smile.gif

Aug 15, 2009
Visit site
i think the first trip away is always eventful! on ours it was like being in a glorified tent no electirc no water (we hadnt a clue how to get them going at first and we were 5 hours from home!!) but we managed in the end and had a fantastic time! we broke the electirc cable as OH had forgotton to secure it and the battery was flat. We once left the rooflight open and it blew off. We now double check all these things before setting off including the lights on the caravan indicators brake lights etc. I am so exited for france in 5 weeks time!!!!!!!!

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I have just come back from my second outing and every trip I hope to learn how another switch works!!
Still trying to work out the hot water and havent been confident enough yet to switch my gas on!!
Managed to start erecting my porch awning, but realised I needed help when my brother turned up from the next site and my 2 grandchildren told him I was stuck under the tent!!
Still - a great time had by all and yes I like the smell as well!!

Pat

Feb 9, 2009
Visit site
Mike, sorry to hear about your caravan being vandalised.
Do you store the van at home or in storage?. We keep ours in storage at a *farm and only bring the caravan home the night before we go away.
Hundreds of caravan are stored there and it is silver rated by CaSSOA . This is one of the few storage sites in our area but storage seems to be a problem in many areas.
Hope you enjoy the caravan for years to come

* Moderators Edit:
I removed the name and address of the storage area because this is an open forum so therefore we have no control over who can look in. Caravans are often stolen from storage sites.
Parksy (Moderator)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Mike wellcome to the wonderfull world of caravanning, from Essex .
I have just come back from 14 nights in Kent wonderfull weather only 3 days of rain rest sunny with strong winds.
On our journey down here in the pouring rain, Going up the very first very steep hill after joining the M20 from the M25, half way up , for the very first time the engine management warning light came on with the instant reduction in power, limping onto the hard shouder, parked switched the ignition off, paused restarted the engine, With the Engine back in normal running mode, starting on the very steep gradiant with the caravan behind proved easier than i imagened , no clutch slip or front wheel spin . the car is going into the garage on wednesday to establish what caused the blip. the journey home was straight forward.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts