First roast in the caravan

Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
I've been down in Devizes for the weekend enjoying the Monsoons. I was brave this weekend and decided for the first time to cook a roast in the caravan. Lamb shoulder put in oven at midday on a trivet of carrots, celery, garlic, onion and rosemary. 45 minute blast on high to brown and then left on gas mark 3 covered in foil whilst out for the day. I left all the windows on night latch to give the moisture some escape. Came back to a very aromatic and homely smelling van. I got some roast spuds on whilst the meat rested in one of the top cupbards (dog!). Cooked up carrots, brocilli and caulifllower and made a lovely red wine gravey. Only myself and the dog to please. The dog was very pleased indeed, as will be the campsite cat when he finds what I put in his dish. The lamb was absolutely delicious

A lot of effort, but glad I did it. I proved to myself it can be done. Just kept it simple by not having a lot of roast veg and trimmings. I could see things getting a bit complicated if Yorkshire puddings were involved. The biggest challenge was having a thieving dog in close proximity to all the action! I had to keep a very close eye on everything and think about where I put things. Might do some baking in the van sometime. :cool: :bread:

Nov 12, 2021
Visit site
Well done Chris.
It's great to hear about someone else who actually uses the facilities in their caravan as we do. Many people don't cook, shower or use the loo except for number ones in their caravan and motorhomes.
When the weather permits I tend to cook outside on my Cadac or charcoal BBQ but, my wife has served up many delicious feasts cooked in the oven and on the hob. We do have an airfryer too, which is great for cooking fattier cuts of meats, such as lamb chops or steaks. My wife prefers the gas oven in our caravan to the electric one at home.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Never rose to that challenge although we have the facilities. I think we regard trips as holidays and the roast is too much trouble.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
For many years we nearly always went away with friends. The ladies loved to cook in the vans and would share duties. We would either eat in either van or awning weather dependent. The men had the task of preparing the table, wine and beer. Sounds sexist I know. But it was the ladies that chose pink and blue jobs and enjoyed our meals as we did. It never seemed to be a chore. We would have fantastic meals.

When we got older, our friends had to give up caravaning some years before we had to. We moved towards supermarket meal deals for convenience.

I agree that the facilities in the van are there to be used.

John

Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
For me:

IMG_0584.jpeg

For him with four legs:

IMG_0585.jpeg

I enjoyed cooking in the van. Just keep things a bit more simple than I might at home. I am using more of my van facilities now. Now I've sorted out my drainage, I've taken to using my shower. So much easier to get out, dry off and sit on the edge of the bed with everything there at arms length than carry bags of clothes back and forth and hoppping around trying keep my socks dry with the wet floor.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hutch and Mel

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Looks yummy 🤤. Can you come to the next Woosiefest? We have this get together called a Jacobs Table where we all bring and share food………
mel

Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
Looks yummy 🤤. Can you come to the next Woosiefest? We have this get together called a Jacobs Table where we all bring and share food………
mel

I make a cracking Goan pork Vindaloo. Haven’t made one on site… yet. Would have to be in dry weather outside . Flat smells like Kolkata market for days after, might be a bit much in the van! I’d be willing to share it with any who dare…

I am planning to get an external gas point fitted next year with a view to getting a Cadac.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I make a cracking Goan pork Vindaloo. Haven’t made one on site… yet. Would have to be in dry weather outside . Flat smells like Kolkata market for days after, might be a bit much in the van! I’d be willing to share it with any who dare…

I am planning to get an external gas point fitted next year with a view to getting a Cadac.

Luckily I have my own personal gas point fitted.... 😛 🌪

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I've prepared and cooked a chicken dinner using the oven on the caravan stove in the past, and more recently I've used the slow cooker to cook very tender joints of lamb or beef in white or red wine prospectively, browning in the oven for half an hour at the end.
Boiled seasonal veg, a few roasties and hey presto!
Very enjoyable on a cold wet day.
I make a decent fruit cake at home but when I tried to bake one using the caravan oven it was rubbish.
The gas heat settings are very different to those on the electric cooker that I'm used to at home, that's my excuse anyway.
😕

Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
I'm a recent slow cooker convert at home. Over the last few weeks, after sealing meat in a fry pan, have done brisket, chicken stew and a gammon joint and all have been really tasty and very tender. Really easy and I'd imagine a slow cooker would work very well with a caravan trip.
Chris - your roast photo does look fab.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts