First Service - What a Disaster!

Jul 21, 2005
Visit site
We have just taken our 12 month old Bailey Ranger for its first annual service. The dealer phoned today to say that everything is fine except for....the front panel, side panel, rear panel and the roof (is that all?), which are all showing signs of cracking and water ingress!!! We hadnt noticed any signs of damp and they did say it is at a very early stage. On the phone the dealer was very reassuring (well he would be wouldnt he) but didnt seem very surprised, almost as if this was an every-day occurence. This obviously leaves us worrying about what we have invested in.

My question is will these repairs affect the future value of the van and is it acceptable to have this amount of work done in such a short space of time?

We have booked a fortnight in France in August and my wife is worried about us trailing broken bits of van all over the French countryside or needing to take loads of buckets to catch the water dripping through the roof.

David

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
Repairs won't affect the value if they're professionally done, but can they be guaranteed? With a caravan 1 yr old I'd be looking for replacement if it's as bad as all that.

Jul 21, 2005
Visit site
Repairs won't affect the value if they're professionally done, but can they be guaranteed? With a caravan 1 yr old I'd be looking for replacement if it's as bad as all that.
Craig, I have not really gone into it with the dealer as I was a bit stunned at the time. I assume that the repairs will carry the remainder of the Bailey warranty as it was new when we bought it and it is a main dealer (where we bought the van from) who will be doing the repairs. I thought about insisting on a replacement but we're not keen on the new ranger and no doubt we would be asked for a 'contribution' for the 12 months use.

David

Oct 28, 2005
Visit site
Craig, I have not really gone into it with the dealer as I was a bit stunned at the time. I assume that the repairs will carry the remainder of the Bailey warranty as it was new when we bought it and it is a main dealer (where we bought the van from) who will be doing the repairs. I thought about insisting on a replacement but we're not keen on the new ranger and no doubt we would be asked for a 'contribution' for the 12 months use.

David
You should not be asked for any contribution....Why do you think you would ??? The van is not fit for use and I would request a replacement regardless. If it has signs of ingress has it actually entered the van? where has the water gone if it has entered?? should you risk possible remaining water issues ???

The choice is yours but I would not take the risks as once they do any repairs and you accept it as done, you will have no comeback unless the same problem re-opens remaining issues will not be covered as you have already accepted them as, OK so the water which has already found it's way in will just be at your own risk.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
My Bailey Ranger also has a cracked front panel where the outer screws hold the front top rail in place. This was only discovered in a downpour when at Lady Margrets Park, Chirk in March. The dealer who I bought the van from, one of the biggest, told me they don't do this kind of repair and sent me to another service only agent. Repairs where agreed within two weeks but I'm still waiting!!! Last time I called they said Bailey hadn't sent them the parts as yet i.e a new front panel and also the inner ones etc.

Brian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You should not be asked for any contribution....Why do you think you would ??? The van is not fit for use and I would request a replacement regardless. If it has signs of ingress has it actually entered the van? where has the water gone if it has entered?? should you risk possible remaining water issues ???

The choice is yours but I would not take the risks as once they do any repairs and you accept it as done, you will have no comeback unless the same problem re-opens remaining issues will not be covered as you have already accepted them as, OK so the water which has already found it's way in will just be at your own risk.
Rich

The first thing I did before accepting repairs to my van was to get intouch with the CC legal advisory service who informed me that I should allow them to repair the van and this in no way jepodises any future claim for replacement if your not satisfied.

Brian

Jun 19, 2006
Visit site
Our one year old van ( not Bailey ) also needs a new floor, new front panel and the side panels are distorted which the manufacturer says is due to stress. We have rejected the van under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 ( as amended ) and said that if they do not replace it we will take court action to recover the cost plus loss of use and expense.

Although you will be assured that the repair will make the van as good as new you have to ask why has it gone wrong so quickly.

I think you must make your own decision as to what is your own best course of action

What sort of quality control do these people have ?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi David

4 years ago I bought new Avondale which showed serious water ingress under one of front side window within 6 months of purchase. This water ingress was repaired 5 times under warranty. Van now sold, and thankfully at time of trade in there were no signs of damp. Value of van did not suffer, however you can imagine how ****** off I am with Avondale and the repairers!!

Good luck

John

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
This all sounds terrible to me - We have stuck with our 10 year old 'van having resealed all the potential water ingress places.

We could buy a new/newer van but what seems the point?

Allie' s point is worth noting - If they say they will repair it as good as new - I would suggest you say "No thanks - I want it done properly!"

Sale of goods act does work - as does Trading Standards.

Jun 15, 2006
Visit site
I agree we've got a ten year old Baily Sennetor

and would not even think of buying new.........

I guess its like buying a new car you loose so much

money the first few years..

Oct 27, 2005
Visit site
Can someone tell me what I should be looking for to spot these kinds of problems. Our van is a year old, has had its first service and everything was ok. The van is kept in storage 1/2 hour from our home so we don't get to look round it much, only when we bring it home for trips. The three times we have used it this year we havent had a drop of rain, so know I'm hoping for a downpour when we are next away to see if any water comes in. Am I worrying for nothing. Denise

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
My van (Abbey) had cracks in the front panel that were repaired under warranty. My parents Avondale Osprey had cracks at the 2 year mark and were out of warranty. Their dealer in Kimberely were awful about it too. I think I would reject the van.

Jun 19, 2006
Visit site
Can someone tell me what I should be looking for to spot these kinds of problems. Our van is a year old, has had its first service and everything was ok. The van is kept in storage 1/2 hour from our home so we don't get to look round it much, only when we bring it home for trips. The three times we have used it this year we havent had a drop of rain, so know I'm hoping for a downpour when we are next away to see if any water comes in. Am I worrying for nothing. Denise
Hi

When there is water ingress ( damp ) it is not alwyas shown by actually leaks in the van or it would be easy to see.

When your van was serviced you should have been given a damp report. This will show any damp.

We have had vans for almost 30 years and had damp problems in the past. With one van it showed by a slight bubble in the wallboard and another time by a slight discolouration in the wall covering and a cold feel to that area comapred to the rest of the van. I have to say on each occasion when we have had the damp repaired it has reappeared in time.

As a precaution we have borrowed a damp meter from a caravan repairer ( ex dealer who gave up the dealership as he was sick of problems with new vans ! ) to test our own van prior to service. In the case of our present van our readings were fine, the same as those of the dealer.

We pay a lot for these vans they should be sound. I have always heard motor vans are no better. Anyone confirm that or otherwise ?

Jun 23, 2005
Visit site
Hi

When there is water ingress ( damp ) it is not alwyas shown by actually leaks in the van or it would be easy to see.

When your van was serviced you should have been given a damp report. This will show any damp.

We have had vans for almost 30 years and had damp problems in the past. With one van it showed by a slight bubble in the wallboard and another time by a slight discolouration in the wall covering and a cold feel to that area comapred to the rest of the van. I have to say on each occasion when we have had the damp repaired it has reappeared in time.

As a precaution we have borrowed a damp meter from a caravan repairer ( ex dealer who gave up the dealership as he was sick of problems with new vans ! ) to test our own van prior to service. In the case of our present van our readings were fine, the same as those of the dealer.

We pay a lot for these vans they should be sound. I have always heard motor vans are no better. Anyone confirm that or otherwise ?
I have an 11 year old Elddis. Bit of delamination on the floor in front of the kitchen but no damp found at the recent service. I think if i buy another one, I'll go for an Adria (used). The Hobby's for all the talk of them being disliked on sites are, from what I have heard and seen, far superior to the British made vans. In fact I think most dealers dislike them because they are a threat to the British made caravan market. Just a pity they are quite heavy but then that's the reason why they are a stronger build. Dethlef's look great but are quite pricey.

The number of people with newish vans who are complaining and quite justifiably is nothing short of a scandal. It's a wonder the Japanese have'nt found some niche in the market before now.

Jul 21, 2005
Visit site
After further telephone conversations with the dealer, the story seems to be that the panels are fixed in accordance with the panel suppliers spec (not Baileys). Only later do they realise this spec is wrong so the vans go back to be repaired to the 'revised' spec. Who can say this is any better?

I have now been told that due to the amount of work involved (estimated at 50hrs @

Jun 23, 2005
Visit site
Hi Ray,

That's a good point and probably the real reason why so many people are having problems with new vans.Today's problems don't bode well for the second hand buyer if he buys a van manufactured in 20006 and buys it 5 years from now. If they are sieves now, what are they going to be like in 5 to 10 years time.

I shall keep what I've got (1995 Elddis XLi Shamal)for the time being and when it's due for renewal I'll have to consider a continental make. Adria look okay.

Jun 21, 2006
Visit site
Very interesting reading!

Our 2005 Ranger 460/2 also showed signs of water ingress in similar areas when it went for its first service in January.

Bailey took it back to the factory and replaced the front panel as well as doing some othe resealing! The 'van was away for about 10 days all in - not bad considering we are in central Scotland - quite a way from Bristol. The 'van came back in pristine condition but we have lost faith in it.

We will probably change it this year as we now need a different layout. We will consider a new Ranger but are more likely to go for the new Abbey Vogue that has just been launched.

This is dissappointing because our previous Bailey was dry as a bone when we traded it for the current on just short of its 10th birthday.

TRENDING THREADS