First Time Caravaner

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi

My partner and I have just decided to take the plunge and buy a caravan. We own a 1998 1.8 Vectra and have been told we should look to get a van approx 930kg with 200kg allowance for stowed items. Our budget is approx ยฃ6000 but for this we would like 4 berths (we have 2 kids) + shower + toilet (home comforts!). Can anyone suggest a suitable model to go for?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
There are a few 'vans out there which will come within your weight limits, Steve - the Bailey Discovery range, for instance, or some of the Adrias. Don't overlook the possibility of a folding camper, (Pennine/Conway type), which can certainly offer toilet facilities, if not a shower. We have always found the shower in our 'vans to be more trouble than they are worth, except in a real emergency.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
On the subject of home comforts, we do have a new caravan with a very practical shower, but previously we had a caravan with a 'all in one' bathroom and still found the shower very useful.

Always preferred to use it rather than tip toe around site showers!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Consider a second hand baileys

Discovery range 200 which is a 4 berth with a end toilet washbason and large shower area miro 874 kg user payload 248,

Roy.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Keep an eye open for an early Bailey Ranger 470/4 which is about the right weight and has a useful layout i.e end shower etc and room to change in privacy.

Good Luck Brian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Be very careful when buying a second hand caravan with a shower. As the caravan is being towed the floor will flex and the silicon seal around the shower will eventually fail. If this should happen the water will run past the seal and settle on the timber floor and possibly cause rot. Have a very good look at this area and also the washroom floor if possible. The toilet and shower blocks on most sites are very good to excellent and also majotitary are free. We have a new (Dec.2002) van but have never used the inboard shower and very rarely the toilet. As the shower cublicle/ toilet ares are generally small why bother with this - use the site hot water and leave the wet floor area in the toilet block. I do not understand peaple using the facility in the van and personally do not see the need for a shower to be fitted.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts