First time France with dog

Feb 17, 2008
Visit site
We are going to France in May for about 4/5 weeks with our dachshund. This will be first time taking him abroad. Just visited vet for rabies and pet passport. Vet didn’t think we needed anything extra, such as scalibor collar, for visiting west of France, probably Vendee down to Royan or northern France. I am obviously concerned about sandflies. He is on Milbemax wormer so covered re heart heartworm, tapeworm and Bravecto flea and tick. I know quite a few on here take their dogs to France. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Sandflies shouldn’t be an issue where you are going, but if in doubt use a Scalibor collar but you would need to buy it via prescription and take advice regarding compatibility with your dogs other treatments for buggies.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Our vet just gave our dog the rabies jab, we also use 'Avacate' on the dog as normal and have had no problems (Germany and France), be aware of the timescale on the way back for the tapeworm tablet from a local vet who also will stamp the pet passport.

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
We use a Seresta collar on our dog as he cannot tollerate Frontline or similar products. Lasts for 7 months and we've never seen a tick or flea on him. Available from vets and costs about 30€.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
PaulT said:
We use a Seresta collar on our dog as he cannot tollerate Frontline or similar products. Lasts for 7 months and we've never seen a tick or flea on him. Available from vets and costs about 30€.

Seresta is for fleas and ticks, where as Scalibor is more for tick, mosquitos and flies including Sandflies. It has limited effect against fleas. But if you are heading south into southern France or Spain then Scalibor is better protection against little bugs that can cause disease in your dog. When we first started to take ours to southern France you couldn’t get Scalibor so they had a mix of flea/tick collar plus tablets to protect against mosquito, fly and sandfly infections. I think they had to continue after we arrived back in U.K. for a time afterwards.

Mar 8, 2019
Visit site
Since going to Italy a few years ago, we've always had our dogs vaccinated against sandflies. I think the official name is leishmania, (probably wrong spelling).
Your vet will know, not cheap though.

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
We never took our dog on our annual holiday,It gave him rest and holiday from us and us from him!
Shorter trips he always came with us.
As he got older he came with us on our annual holiday - we had to keep moving the parasol every time he moved to a different spot.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts