First time in Europe

Mar 25, 2009
Visit site
Taking caravan first time to Spain done europe for few years but always switzerland Italy etc.Going from Portsmouth to Le Harve then looking for two stops on the way down to Begur.Any tips on campsites etc would be appreciated.

Jul 10, 2005
Visit site
We have done this route for many years heading for a destination just around that coast from you. The deciding factor is what time will you be arriving at Le Havre. If it is an early morning and dependant on your ambitions and driving stamina Cahors on the A20 is possible by 6pm after landing at around 7am. From around there with a 9am start you could be in Begur just after lunch.

If time is no issue Ecommoy just south of Le Mans has a nice municiple, Loches between Tours and Chateauroux for the A20 has a couple of nice sites, Uzerche has a big busy but pleasant site by a lake, Souliac has a few sites, whenever we were near Cahor we never found a space on a site so went to Caussade just down the A20.

I have to say that I have found the A20 route to be a lot more thirsty on fuel when towing than the A75 route which is not as up and down as most people make out.

When you get to Begur if you are after an easy diner one evening give Can Padre (known Chicken & Chips affectionately) on the edge of Pals a go, it gets very busy but after your visit KFC will be viewed as a stinking rip off by comparison. For your drinking needs go to Grau just outside Palafrugell (your side), you can't miss it on the right.

Jul 10, 2005
Visit site
Nearly forgot on your way home past experience has taught us not to rely on Camping Cartiniere at Honfleur for a night halt on the way to the ferry, as Madame looks very dimly on one nighters despite the claim in the adverts regarding the "closeness to the port".

Mar 25, 2009
Visit site
We have done this route for many years heading for a destination just around that coast from you. The deciding factor is what time will you be arriving at Le Havre. If it is an early morning and dependant on your ambitions and driving stamina Cahors on the A20 is possible by 6pm after landing at around 7am. From around there with a 9am start you could be in Begur just after lunch.

If time is no issue Ecommoy just south of Le Mans has a nice municiple, Loches between Tours and Chateauroux for the A20 has a couple of nice sites, Uzerche has a big busy but pleasant site by a lake, Souliac has a few sites, whenever we were near Cahor we never found a space on a site so went to Caussade just down the A20.

I have to say that I have found the A20 route to be a lot more thirsty on fuel when towing than the A75 route which is not as up and down as most people make out.

When you get to Begur if you are after an easy diner one evening give Can Padre (known Chicken & Chips affectionately) on the edge of Pals a go, it gets very busy but after your visit KFC will be viewed as a stinking rip off by comparison. For your drinking needs go to Grau just outside Palafrugell (your side), you can't miss it on the right.
Thks John boy the info you have given us is very useful especially about the A75 being better road as bit concerned about towing power.We were going to have an afternoon sailing and stay at Cartiniere but will have to look at that again now.

Once again thks vm

Jul 10, 2005
Visit site
Thks John boy the info you have given us is very useful especially about the A75 being better road as bit concerned about towing power.We were going to have an afternoon sailing and stay at Cartiniere but will have to look at that again now.

Once again thks vm
Give Cartiniere a go she may have relented a bit following the demise of P&O cutting this crossing and LD taking up the traffic, as her business might have dropped off. There is a site up in Le Havre above the town that has a mixture of semi permanent but has been used by "my picky" Mum & Dad as a ferry halt. All you want to do is get your head down for a bit before an early start.

I would certainly give Cartiniere a call though as it puts you on the motorway within minutes in the morning.

Mar 25, 2009
Visit site
Nearly forgot on your way home past experience has taught us not to rely on Camping Cartiniere at Honfleur for a night halt on the way to the ferry, as Madame looks very dimly on one nighters despite the claim in the adverts regarding the "closeness to the port".
John boy,

been reading your last again and noted you found the a75 better than the a20. If im right are you saying it better to go the A75 route as people alwqays say don't go near Paris,Looking at the map from what I can see if you taking the A75 then you are going close to Paris.We are leaving Le harve early morning so now wondering which the better route as initially I was going via Le Mans and dow the 28 and 20 .Whats your thoughts be interesting to nkow being as you donbe the route so often.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts