First time in france

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Can anybody tell me which is the best route from Dunkirk to Beziers whilst towing a caravan I have two suggested routes one from Tom Tom and the other from Via Michelin.

I would be grateful for any tips

Kennyjohn

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
We've done several routes down to Beziers area (actually Grau d'Agde). Our favoured one now is Dunkerque, Hesdin, Abbeville, Rouen, Chartres, Orleans then down the N154 to Salbris where we stay overnight. Then it's on to Moulins, Gannat,and then down the A75 from Clermont Ferrand. We try to avoid tolls because these add up and because we're cheapskates!!!!

I'm not sure what route Tom Tom would give you but Viamichelin shows a route heading towards Paris, skirting Paris and then going over towards Orleans on the route described above, but sticking to the A71 autoroute with tolls of 85 euros in total, with a caravan.

There is no 'best route' - but we've found one that we're happy with, and we can get down to the Mediterranean, spending only around 14 euros in tolls by keeping off the toll autoroutes exept where we consider it sensible, to avoid a city with hold-ups, such as Orleans, for instance.

Mar 21, 2007
sites.google.com
We travel down to this region each year and for reasons of our own usually go from Zeebrugge via Chalons en Champagne, Macon and from there across to join the N7 and then the more or less toll free A75 all the way down to the coast. It depends really on how much time you want to give to the journey and also whether you want to avoid some tolls at the cost of speed of course. This route is about 100 miles further than the Autoroute suggestion that takes you through Paris (which you might think worth avoiding) I am sure other forum members will be adding their own preferred routers but however you get to it I would use the A75 for the fabulous views and stop off for at least one night in Millau (more if you have time)

Dave

Jul 20, 2005
Visit site
We usually take the motorway to Troyes to save time and then cut across country (Moulins, Nevers) to around Clermont Ferrand and then take the motorway south. This is toll-free (or was last time we did it) except for the spectacular bridge crossing at Millau.

Jo

We've done several routes down to Beziers area (actually Grau d'Agde). Our favoured one now is Dunkerque, Hesdin, Abbeville, Rouen, Chartres, Orleans then down the N154 to Salbris where we stay overnight. Then it's on to Moulins, Gannat,and then down the A75 from Clermont Ferrand. We try to avoid tolls because these add up and because we're cheapskates!!!!

I'm not sure what route Tom Tom would give you but Viamichelin shows a route heading towards Paris, skirting Paris and then going over towards Orleans on the route described above, but sticking to the A71 autoroute with tolls of 85 euros in total, with a caravan.

There is no 'best route' - but we've found one that we're happy with, and we can get down to the Mediterranean, spending only around 14 euros in tolls by keeping off the toll autoroutes exept where we consider it sensible, to avoid a city with hold-ups, such as Orleans, for instance.
We have used TomTom twice on this route and it's more or less taken round the outskirts of Paris, which was quite acceptable

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts