First time to France in Caravan

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We are hoping to go to Northern France this summer for a couple of weeks. My wife and I and 2 young children. What is the best area for beaches etc for families. Should it be Brittany or Normandy, and if so which areas ?

Just need some help in looking as its been a few years since I last went.

Thanks

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Steve - have a look further back on this topic area. There is a heading titled "First Time Abroad" (almost at the bottom of this page - maybe on Page 2 by the time you read this). I think the majority have answered your question with the reply of Brittany.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Mr Evans - pistols at dawn me thinks - serious though, although we have not been to Normandy we have heard very good reports regarding the area and therefore cannot knock it as we have not had first hand experience. Each to their own as they say.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Brittany every time, miles of golden sands on the North Coast, bays harbours and small er beaches on the South Coast. Friendly people, bit like Cornwall and Devon 20 years ago.

Bon Vacance

Rick

May 18, 2007
Visit site
We have booked sites in Normandy - look at the Castels chain.We have a 4 year old so we need things for her to do - swimming,games etc.We are going via Dover as better half doesn't like enclosed spaces i.e inside ferries.

May 21, 2007
Visit site
I must say that the north west coast of brittany is beautiful,anywhere north of Brest.If you are travelling out of school hols I would recommend using camping cheques

Apr 1, 2005
Visit site
If you like great beaches and coastal scenery then Brittany is probably best.

We have two small children and have several really nice holidays there.

Would recommend the area around St Malo (St Cast is nice) if you want a short drive and big sandy beaches. Perros Guirec is great for rock pools and white sandy beaches (La Ranolian is really well positioned but it's a while since we stayed there).

If you are prepared to drive a bit further (or get the ferry to Roscoff) then Des Abers is a wonderful site (no swimming pool but right on a lovely beach).

Jerry

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Perhaps a good place to start is the ferry crossings - just booked for July through Eurotunnel - very similar cost to ferries for car + 4 passengers (not towing), costs between 49 and 99 per journey of about 35 minutes. Compare this with the Portsmouth-Cherbourg 2 1/2 fast or 4 1/2 standard crossing at 562 booking through either C&CC or CC. Not priced the Plymouth-Roscoff this year but bear in mind the 6 1/2 hour on the boat.... may help you to decide your destination?

Consider also that driving on French roads is cool calm and collected in comparison to UK driving. Pity the poor continentals that arrrive into the English ports - for example from Calais you are straight onto the motorway network and heading for your holidays!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts