First Time

Apr 28, 2006
Visit site
We took caravan out for the first time on our own last weekend. Spent 2 nights in Pembrey, S.Wales. Had a lovely time and everything went to plan, reversing no problem and setting up no problem (apart from putting the blue in the flush, eyes watered every time you used the loo!). Had one little moment on the motorway when van twitched a bit, brought me to my senses as I was getting a bit cocky at how smooth everything had gone and how easy the jeep was at towing. Made me realise you can't relax totally with a van on the back.

Off to Fresh Water East, S.Wales this weekend as long as pitch drys out in time.

Mar 7, 2006
Visit site
hey, it was our 1st time out too this past weekend.

Everything went smoothly apart from the awful weather!...we know now after surviving this weekend we can survive anything!

we had 60mph winds and torrential rain in Dorset, our caravan and little porch awning withstood everything without problem, our freelander towed like a dream and even in the awful driving conditions (v.poor visability and high winds)...hubby and i stayed calm. this was only our 2nd time towing out after picking up our new van and hubby is very confident tower.

We now have the "bug" and are planning trips away EVERY weekend!! our caravan will certainly be used to its potential!

have fun!

Apr 28, 2006
Visit site
Think i'm bitten too. Can't believe how relaxed I felt, certainly didn't want to come home. I was suprised at how easy it was to set everything up, although I haven't put the awning up on my own yet, sure that'll bring the stress levels back!!! It was quite windy on the site with us too, although nothing like 60mph. I took a chance at putting up the gazebo as we didn't want to erect the awning. The wife kept commenting how it'd blow away and give everyone on the site a laugh at the new kids but it worked a dream (probably beacuse I must have used 100 pegs to pin it down).

Glad you had a great trip.

Happy vanning.

Chris

May 22, 2006
Visit site
hi crispy, putting an awning up does not have to be a stressful experience believe me...my partner and i now have a set routine, we lay the poles out first so we know that when we pick one up that it is the right one lol...no arguments there....then we unfold the awning and i start feeding it in the rail as she unwravels it for me till we are at the other end.....then poles we always start at the middle and work outwards, leave everything slack zip all doors up peg down the 4 corners then peg everything else then go inside and extend the poles for a nice tight awning....hope i haven't told you how to suck eggs?.....have fun and enjoy the pleasures of caravanning.....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts