First tow car

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Nice looking motor and covered by Britannia too. Did you ever have to use them?

Yes, I have made use of Britannia a number of times over the years. Though not for some time. Mostly the service has been very good but I remember once, Returning from France plenty of wine on board. Just got to Cirencester and I felt a rumble. at first I thought I had strayed onto the rumble strip so I moved to the centre of the lane. Still had the rumble and it got worse. I was on a fast dual carriageway but it was 1 am and pitch black, luckily there was a flat area of grass to pull over onto. One of the van tyres was shredded. I don't think it was a blow out. as there was no caravan damage. I was going to change the tyre but would have really struggled in the dark to get the spare out from under the van. So I called Britannia.

The chap came. Not best pleased at that time of the morning. But that was his job. I had a bottle of wine ready as a thank you. but he never stopped moaning. Then he blamed caravaners for using remoulds. Which they weren't. He didn't get any wine. and I wrote an honest feedback.

Another time at work in the car park my car would not start. The mechanics van blocked the exit to the car park just as staff and student were leaving, (there were other alternatives). I told him in no uncertain terms that these people he was holding up were my colleagues and that was not acceptable. He should show respect or leave.

Britannia have a good quality feedback system which works and gets rid of those idiots. Most call outs have a great response with friendly helpful people.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Yes, I have made use of Britannia a number of times over the years. Though not for some time. Mostly the service has been very good but I remember once, Returning from France plenty of wine on board. Just got to Cirencester and I felt a rumble. at first I thought I had strayed onto the rumble strip so I moved to the centre of the lane. Still had the rumble and it got worse. I was on a fast dual carriageway but it was 1 am and pitch black, luckily there was a flat area of grass to pull over onto. One of the van tyres was shredded. I don't think it was a blow out. as there was no caravan damage. I was going to change the tyre but would have really struggled in the dark to get the spare out from under the van. So I called Britannia.

The chap came. Not best pleased at that time of the morning. But that was his job. I had a bottle of wine ready as a thank you. but he never stopped moaning. Then he blamed caravaners for using remoulds. Which they weren't. He didn't get any wine. and I wrote an honest feedback.

Another time at work in the car park my car would not start. The mechanics van blocked the exit to the car park just as staff and student were leaving, (there were other alternatives). I told him in no uncertain terms that these people he was holding up were my colleagues and that was not acceptable. He should show respect or leave.

Britannia have a good quality feedback system which works and gets rid of those idiots. Most call outs have a great response with friendly helpful people.

John

I was actually thinking about the Isuzu.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I was actually thinking about the Isuzu.

I am not sure, but perhaps the time it would not start at work was the Isuzu. But as I remember it was a solid and reliable car. Seems it was popular in Japan and America. But I believe only 300 in this country

It was the early days of computer control. The turbo alone had its own computer under the dash. Isuzu said the car was capable of adjusting to different types of petrol.

I px’d it for a Citroen XM which was excellent, after someone damaged a door and sill in a car park.

In good condition it would be worth a few bob now. But not as much as the MG ZA I had in the 70’s.

John

Last edited:
Reactions: otherclive
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Not my first tow car, 4th in fact. But an odd ball. I bought this Isuzu Piazza in about 1992. A rare car in this country as Isuzu had import limits on them and there was more demand for the Trooper.

My next door neighbour took this and somehow got his glasses into the picture.

View attachment 1079

John

I wonder what it is worth now to a collector?

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Not my first tow car, 4th in fact. But an odd ball. I bought this Isuzu Piazza in about 1992. A rare car in this country as Isuzu had import limits on them and there was more demand for the Trooper. Before I bought it I checked that a tow bar was available. After purchase I went to buy it and they said it wasn't. I made them explain why there was a part number for it. Seems the part number was generated when a prototype was made, but never went into manufacture. they searched for me and found the prototype which is what I then fitted. So it is probably the only one used for towing.

An unlikely tow car. 2 litre petrol turbo. Loads of power for the time. A small car but heavier then you would expect a sporty car to be. With the short rear overhang it made a great tow car. Also great fun to drive so long as you didn't try to sit in the back.

My next door neighbour took this and somehow got his glasses into the picture.

View attachment 1079

John
Hi Jc loughie a lovely car and a good towcar

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts