First trip of the year

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Set off on our first trip this year on April Fools Day. And for good measure the weather played a trick on us as we drove through snow for the first three hours. Fortunately it wasn't settling on the roads.

Here in the Highlands we have self gritting roads. Road maintenance is a rarity and the surfaces erode more and more each year so the stones, chippings and dust that come loose act as the grit.

W e started off with a black car and white caravan. By the time we got to our first overnight stop we had a grey car and grey caravan. Next stop we'll find a car wash but not sure what to do about the van.

So far everything is working well and the only thing we didn't bring is a dust pan and brush. However, time may reveal other missing items.

We always find it takes a bit of time to get back into the swing of packing up, towing and then setting up.

Diesel at Cluanie Inn £2.07, but you'd have to be desparate and running on fumes to top up there. I don't think they sell much so suspect they're selling the old cheaper stuff at an inflated price.

Tomorrow a shorter drive to a longer stay at the next site. Roads hopefully not so mucky.

Good luck on your first trip if you haven't already ventured out

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
We're out. On our way to Dorset with a stop off at a lovely site Harbury near Leamington Spa. Great pizza van on site last night. Just filled up at Asda for 170.7 diesel. And popped in to rescue myself. Forgot to bring the wedding anniversary card!!! Oops.

• Haha
Reactions: Hutch
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Not use caravan yet but have one planned on the 24th April to Staffordshire
If this cold spell carries on you'll need your thermals - Goatfell CL is up at 350m above sea level on the southern edge of the Pennines - not far from Flash, the highest village in the UK.

Reactions: JezzerB
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We're out. On our way to Dorset with a stop off at a lovely site Harbury near Leamington Spa. Great pizza van on site last night. Just filled up at Asda for 170.7 diesel. And popped in to rescue myself. Forgot to bring the wedding anniversary card!!! Oops.
Hope you a nice time ;)

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
If this cold spell carries on you'll need your thermals - Goatfell CL is up at 350m above sea level on the southern edge of the Pennines - not far from Flash, the highest village in the UK.
winter gear still been use so should be alright for this break

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
It was only about 4 or 5 degC when we arrived last night and probably dropped more over night.

We have an underslung heater which when running at full bore sounds like an F35 going on after burners. Once the van is heated we can drop the fan and power down to a quieter level.

For the first time last night we tried the Night setting. Big mistake. At intervals through the night the F35 was back, waking me up until I decided enough was enough and I switched it off

To be honest we were very warm under the quilt anyway.

One more gotcha for the first trip. Forgot to disengage the motor mover overnight. Fortunately only the one night....not sure what it would do to the tires if left longer.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
One more gotcha for the first trip. Forgot to disengage the motor mover overnight. Fortunately only the one night....not sure what it would do to the tires if left longer.
Even a couple of days would make no difference. Remember that when not using it, the tyres do not rotate and are compressed in one area.

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Our first trip is this Thurs 7th, Taking a risk as the motor goes in for a service on the 6th . But after all the dentist, doctor and other appointments, this is the first clear six nights for some time. Must say not much of a risk, have always looked after my motor, and I've not heard any funny noises lately.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Our first trip is this Thurs 7th, Taking a risk as the motor goes in for a service on the 6th . But after all the dentist, doctor and other appointments, this is the first clear six nights for some time. Must say not much of a risk, have always looked after my motor, and I've not heard any funny noises lately.
Hope you have a nice time

Last edited:

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Gotcha #3.

Arrived at next site. Reversed onto pitch, which isn't really on my list of top manoeuvres. Needed a little adjustment so decided to finish off with the motor mover.

Unhooked from tow bar, detached cable, engaged motor mover and tried to move van backwards.....it didn't budge.

Then disconnected break away cable which made a big difference.

At least I know the break away function works. 🙄

• Haha
Reactions: Bluetonic and Hutch
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Our three weeks away on the Northumberland coast were dry but very windy. Warm daytime but heating on all night. Weekends at South Meadows Belford were full.

Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
Just had two nights away as a shakedown before a week away in Northumberland over Easter.
Glad we did as there are a few things we need to remember to pack before going away again, like the shelves for the fridge. No idea where we have stored them :confused_old:, and the charger for the drill. And I need to look at the friction pads on the hitch
Oh, and we forgot to empty the boiler when we put it back in storage last night, hope we've not damaged anything as it was pretty cold last night. I know whet i'm doing in my lunch hour today

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Just had two nights away as a shakedown before a week away in Northumberland over Easter.
Glad we did as there are a few things we need to remember to pack before going away again, like the shelves for the fridge. No idea where we have stored them :confused_old:, and the charger for the drill. And I need to look at the friction pads on the hitch
Oh, and we forgot to empty the boiler when we put it back in storage last night, hope we've not damaged anything as it was pretty cold last night. I know whet i'm doing in my lunch hour today
I hope you had a nice weekend away :)

Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
I hope you had a nice weekend away :)
It was lovely thank you. It's a lovely CL with fully serviced pitches. Never had a fully serviced pitch before, what a joy!
Unfortunately the owner had passed away suddenly the week before our break, but his son is keeping things going.
Lovely day in Leamington Spa on the Saturday with great food at a little Tapas Restaurant , then as no one else booked for the CL on Sunday we were allowed to stay as long as we wanted, so a long walk and a visit to a pub for a drink (coffee for me!) before a leisurely pack up and drive home.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
It was lovely thank you. It's a lovely CL with fully serviced pitches. Never had a fully serviced pitch before, what a joy!
Unfortunately the owner had passed away suddenly the week before our break, but his son is keeping things going.
Lovely day in Leamington Spa on the Saturday with great food at a little Tapas Restaurant , then as no one else booked for the CL on Sunday we were allowed to stay as long as we wanted, so a long walk and a visit to a pub for a drink (coffee for me!) before a leisurely pack up and drive home.
I am surprised we didn't see each other, we meet up with our son, in Leamington Spa on Saturday afternoon for a meal in "The Drawing Room", It is a wonderfull town for eating and drinking places. Which Cl did you use ?

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We been to Leamington spa my wife like the local history and museum how far is the CL we love to go back and see more next time

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The CL at Kenilworth? FSP CL are increasing in number. Makes them so usable and great value.
If you get the chance whilst at Northumberland get over to Seahouses and have a Serenity boat trip around the Farne Islands.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
I am surprised we didn't see each other, we meet up with our son, in Leamington Spa on Saturday afternoon for a meal in "The Drawing Room", It is a wonderfull town for eating and drinking places. Which Cl did you use ?

Really sorry for the late reply on this one.
Literally an hour after my post I had collapsed from a cardiac arrest. Was dead for 20 minutes and have no memory of that weekend!

I believe the CL is called Newton Grounds, its probably about 20 mins from Leamington Spa.

Reactions: Dustydog and Hutch

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts