First Trip Reviewed

May 9, 2008
Visit site
Hello all,

Just got back from our first ever trip in a caravan and thought I would share our experiences.

Left home on the bank holiday Monday which happened to be really windy, had a 173 mile journey ahead of us! Took five hours to get there, and I had a massive headache due to the level of concentration, but well pleased we were in one piece!

When I booked in on site they explained they had two touring sites, so went and drove round the first one, nearly took out a cars wing as I forgot about turning wide (lesson one..remember the caravan)!

There were no suitable pitches so drove down a hill to go round the back of the club house to the second set of touring pitches. It was very narrow but got through, then horror they had dug the road up!!

My friend who came with us (also his first time) was right behind me on a steep hill with no where to turn round and not a hells chance of reversing back where we came. (lesson 2. check the site out first!).

After getting half the staff to move their cars we had the pleasure of reversing up hil on my blind side into a gap with a nice crowd watching!

We finally managed to turn round, but my poor old clutch took a hammering! (Lesson 3.. buy an automatic!)

On finding the other pitches which it turned out had been reserved for us as they were longer pitches (receptionist forgot to tell us!) managed to get the van onto the pitch. Got all settled and had a wonderful holiday and can't wait for the next one!

The issues did not end there but i won't bore you with the details, we have always gone in a tent before and our holidays have always been great, the caravan holiday was equally as good but with the added comforts that the van brings!

Roll on the end of July when we are taking the van to the French/Spanish border.

Anthony

TLC

Aug 26, 2007
Visit site
Learn from these experiences. We do. We are constantly learning & having tons of fun & relaxation. Am reasonably new to caravanning but we love it & would not swap it for anything.

May 9, 2008
Visit site
I loved every minute of it!!!

On one of the posts on here there was a handy check list with what to do before leaving home and what to do when on site.

I followed the before leaving home which was great, but with all the excitement of getting to a pitch the other went out the window.. forgot to put the wheel locks on, didn't level correctly but regardless it was a great time.

What suprised me was just how many cars drive less than 50mph on a motorway, lorries were no problem but the amount of cars that seemed to overtake just to get past me and then slow down.

Still i was far too excited to let anything bother me, I would of been quite happy setting up on the hard shoulder of the M1..(the Mrs would have something to say about it though)

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Anthony

I think you did really well for your first trip, there will always be challenges in the years to come.

Before we got sat nav (you either love it or hate it but never rely on it totally when towing), we were heading from a site in Derbyshire. We got terribly lost and I ended up towing the van round Sainsburys car park twice, much to the amusement of shoppers in the car park.

On our maiden trip we were heading for the east coast, a trip we know well even with closed eyes. However, parts of the A46 were closed off, I ended up towing through small villages, through tiny gaps (people parked opposite each other on small roads), I did wonder if we would ever reach our destination. But it all turned out fine in the end.

Your clutch should be fine, you don't necessarily need an automatic, if you are struggling to get onto a pitch, reverse as much as you can and if feasible, unhitch and push it into place. We used to do that on most trips.

All the best.

Lisa

May 9, 2008
Visit site
Hi Lisa

Sounds like you too had fun on your first trip!

I loved our time and our issues only increased my enjoyment, it is a great feeling when you overcome a problem.

I was talking to a friend of mine (a farmer) about the wear on my clutch when reversing, he casually said why didn't i just put my truck into low range!! Im going to give it ago this weekend.

Anthony

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts