First visit to Lakes in October, any suggestions?

Aug 1, 2005
Visit site
Can anyone recommend a site for a couple visiting the lakes in a tourer, for the first time, in October. We are not bothered about entertainment for kids as they are off our hands. We do like to walk to a pub or restaurant in the evenings though, and dont walk too far (1 mile is enough for me). We would be making use of an electric hook up and site showers. I have done a net search and found many sites, which seem quite expensive for the time of year, but I dont know one from another!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi there,

We love visiting the Lakes and have two sites which we go to regularly.

The Caravan Club site Troutbeck Head which is mid-way between Penrith and Keswick.The views are stunning and there are so many places to see.It isn't within walking distance of restaurants but 5 mins along the road by car will take you to the Troutbeck Inn.We have always had a good meal there.

Also a Club site at the southern end outside Grange Over Sands .Meathop Fell.....this is like a small country park,very peaceful.There is a hotel next door but cannot comment as we have never used it.The south Lakes are less busy,but still very enjoyable. Both of these sites take non members.

Hope this helps you.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi

Both the caravan club and the camping and caravan club have sites at Keswick both within walking distance of the town. It is our favourite place in the lakes and having the pubs and restaurants within walking distance is an added bonus!!

Aug 1, 2005
Visit site
Hi

Both the caravan club and the camping and caravan club have sites at Keswick both within walking distance of the town. It is our favourite place in the lakes and having the pubs and restaurants within walking distance is an added bonus!!
Keswick looks good, can stagger back from pub!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Try CC Braithwaite Fold a site which is very popular and is situated very near Windermeres shore and about a 10 mins walk from Bowness.

Aug 15, 2005
Visit site
Keswick looks good, can stagger back from pub!
The C and C Club site at Crow Park Road Keswick is amazing...we go here a couple of times a year. You will not be disappointed by the scenery and the town/pubs are 5 mins walk away!

Lydia

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi there, we're always looking for the best site in the Lakes lol! We used to like Limefitt Park which is sooo scenic but under new ownership we found the prices had increased substantially which resulted in lots of huge tents and a more noisy element. We now go to Castlerigg Hall just out of Keswick as you can open your curtains in the morning and get an uninterrupted view of Derwent Water and Catbells ... heaven! It has a pub next door but I've heard its not great ... there's also a footpath down hill into town and then back up again. Personally I found the CC site at Troutbeck a rather bleak area and the CandCC one in Keswick very big and closely packed in ... the CC site at the other side of Derwent Water (Low Manesty) looks lovely but remote .... enjoy wherever you go there are some fabulous walks ...

Jun 7, 2005
Visit site
Try this one , been loads of times. might fall into the more expensive catagory but it is right in the heart of Bowness. Has its own bar/restraunt and is in easy walking distance from lots of very nice pubs and restraunts.

www.fallbarrow.co.uk

Aug 1, 2005
Visit site
Sent an enquiry to castlerigg, it looks good! Thanks all!

Worried about weather though, it will rain a lot from what Ive been told. Wonder if its better to go in Spring? Are the sites in the rainshadow of the hills significantly less wet? I dont want to get soaked everytime I go out as I have health problems around aches and pains.

Advice welcome!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

Worried about weather though, it will rain a lot from what Ive been told. Wonder if its better to go in Spring? Are the sites in the rainshadow of the hills significantly less wet? I dont want to get soaked everytime I go out as I have health problems around aches and pains.

Advice welcome!
Luck of the draw I think, we're going to Castlerigg in Oct week and again at Easter. Weather's always variable but we usually get a few days walking and our theory is there's always plenty to do in Lakes whatever the weather! Hope you enjoy your break, Liz

Aug 1, 2005
Visit site
Luck of the draw I think, we're going to Castlerigg in Oct week and again at Easter. Weather's always variable but we usually get a few days walking and our theory is there's always plenty to do in Lakes whatever the weather! Hope you enjoy your break, Liz
Thanks for the recommendation Scottishlass, we have booked Castlerigg for the first week in October. It looks great!!!

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site

Advice welcome!
What about the CC site called Park Copice near Conniston? It appears to have rave reviews and is a 5* CC site; but we have never been and have booked up to go at end Sept / early Oct? Was this a poor choice?

John

Aug 27, 2005
Visit site
went to cumbria in June stayed at Bardsea Leisure, Ulverston, {south Lakes area,) cannot fault it at all, play park at the front of site, no noise to caravans at all, camping acc. shop on site, repairs etc., new caravans if you fancy one! {very helpfull as our battery had boiled dry and was smelling something chronic} Co-op just up the road, as is local pub serving food, and new toilets were out of this world, all individual cubicles with toilet basin and shower, under floor heating, and automatic lights,can give enough stars,

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
What about the CC site called Park Copice near Conniston? It appears to have rave reviews and is a 5* CC site; but we have never been and have booked up to go at end Sept / early Oct? Was this a poor choice?

John
Hi John, Not at all, we visited this site a few moons ago and it was lovely ... but with 2 kids it doesn't suit us just so well now as Coniston is a bit less central. It is quite a heavily wooded site. The advantages are that the vans are in little clearings so you feel more at one with nature, the disadvantages are you miss the views and some pitches are a bit tight for space and maybe not on such even ground. The site has consistently good reviews so let us know how you get on!

Sep 5, 2005
Visit site
we tend to use holgates at silverdale.it may be a bit pricey but you really do get what you pay for.the restaurant on site is excellent and the leisure facilites are great give it a go i'm sure you will enjoy.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
For a first outing I would recommend Limefitt.

I agree there has been a change since new ownership and it is expensive - but the setting is superb. I really don't think you would have any problems out of season in a caravan especially if you use a 'super pitch' (the only pitches we have used'. The 'super pitches' really are 'super' and there is onsite pub/food.

I am a really fussy caravanner - for a first outing and a treat (costwise) - I would go for Limefitt.

Enjoy wherever you choose!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts