fitst time touring in France

Aug 22, 2005
Visit site
Me, wife and the 2 girls aged 10 and 13 would like to take the 'van to France for the first time in June.
Any ideas for family parks with easy drive much appreciated.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
La Croix du Vieux Pont at Berny Riviere, about four hours from the ferry, indoor and outdoor pools, fishing lakes, loads of activities, restaurant, bar and take-away on site, great little 'proper' French restaurant in the village (Chez Micheline), and best of all takes Camping Cheques up until the 30th June - making the pitch for two adults, car and caravan, awning, and electricity, just £13.95 per night (see www.campingcheque.co.uk) and ask any further questions once you've looked at the website. You pay a small supplement for each child, but it's still much cheaper than paying the standard site tariff.
It's an easy route to the site, and you're near to the Champagne Ardennes region, so plenty of places to see nearby, and you're within a trip distance of Disneyland Paris. I think the site still runs coach trips there, too.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
If you're going to use Camping Cheques, in the season when they're accepted, then you can just turn up. You can ask them to reserve a pitch - some sites do - but they may charge you extra for the privilege. When in June are you going? It shouldn't be a problem but if your holiday overlaps into July when the peak season begins, then you might need to book.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Yes, that the nearest port - and the cheapest. DFDS are probably the cheapest, and if you're lucky you may just still get in on the Camping Cheques cheap offer! Check your dates on www.campingcheque.co.uk - if you're buying the Camping Cheques you may just get the ferry cheaper than directly with the ferry operator. Check dates and times carefully - just an hour either way can make a difference to the costs.
1st June should be OK.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi Val A What is the best way if you our a first timer to France with me being disabled with the Caravan Club is that the sensible way this year we have sites fully booked but looking at 2013 .
( Very sorry this is your subject Jason)

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Hello Val, That was a very helpful reply and is sure to help Jason and his family. We've been going to France in June for a number of years and fully agree with your advice. I feel that with people like you on the forum, then nobody should feel uneasy about attempting that first trip.
Regards
Derek

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Thanks very much Derek! We've been going to France for thirty-one years - and in recent years twice a year. There are some areas that we've visited many times, and others that we've never been to, but we always love our French holidays. We've done a variety of routes over the years, stayed on absolutely loads of sites, and visited a lot of lovely places.
Caravanning in France is so much easier than in this country - where you have to plan and book months in advance. As long as you've got a ferry crossing booked early, to take advantage of cheap prices, then you can just 'go as you please' and will always find a pitch somewhere, even in peak season, apart from on the most popular beachside all-singing, all-dancing sites.
We always 'follow the weather' - we like our fix of sunshine, and just go where the best weather forecast is! Then we move on when we feel the need, when we get bored, or when the weather changes. Sometimes we've stayed longer than planned, and other times left early. I think in all the time we've been caravanning we've only found a couple of sites that we wouldn't go back to.
I just hope the weather stays kind for Jason and his family, N(that's the one thing you can't guarantee in advance) and that they get to love France as much as we do!

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Jason, I'm guessing that you are using Internet Explorer 9 which is not compatible with some websites including Practical Caravan
Click Here for information and instructions on how to resolve this issue.

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
Hi Jason
Just in case you haven't realised if you use camping cheques they only cover 2 people you will have to pay the campsite supplements for any extra people with you.

Marie

TRENDING THREADS