Fitting 2016 Santa Fe Battery

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Decided to purchase a new battery for the Hyundai but was wondering if I can fit this myself.
A couple of websites I've visited say as its a "Stop/Start",it has to be programmed into the cars computer system.
Anyone know if this is correct?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Decided to purchase a new battery for the Hyundai but was wondering if I can fit this myself.
A couple of websites I've visited say as its a "Stop/Start",it has to be programmed into the cars computer system.
Anyone know if this is correct?
Why fitting a new one is it not healthy. Normally OEM batteries last longer than five years.

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Thank you Otherclive.
Yes its just over 5 years old now.
Earlier in the year,I didn't use it for about 8 days and when starting it,didn't seem to have the normal "oomph" when turning over.
I've also noticed that the "Stop/Start" has stopped working which I think I read somewhere that it could be a battery problem.
I'm not sure,but certainly need a reliable car with my 5am starts in the morning and winter fast approaching.
I suppose my first step should be a reliable garage to test it.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thank you Otherclive.
Yes its just over 5 years old now.
Earlier in the year,I didn't use it for about 8 days and when starting it,didn't seem to have the normal "oomph" when turning over.
I've also noticed that the "Stop/Start" has stopped working which I think I read somewhere that it could be a battery problem.
I'm not sure,but certainly need a reliable car with my 5am starts in the morning and winter fast approaching.
I suppose my first step should be a reliable garage to test it.
I see why you need a reliable starter at that time of the day when temperatures are at their lowest. Interested to hear what the test outcome is. Non working stop start might be as you say an indication.

Reactions: GeorgeandAde
Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Yes it is rather an early start but an early finish(usually between 1-3)😊
Will try to get to the garage I normally use on Friday afternoon.

Hope your poorly dog is still doing ok👍

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Yes it is rather an early start but an early finish(usually between 1-3)😊
Will try to get to the garage I normally use on Friday afternoon.

Hope your poorly dog is still doing ok👍
Thanks, yes she’s now eating her meals regularly and after a visit to the vets yesterday to weigh her she’s gained some weight. So it’s just a case of steady as she goes. Her last remaining sibling had to be put to sleep last week. So for the runt of the litter she’s doing okay.

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
No problem fitting battery yourself. I changed mine a while back with no issues with anything. 2016 Santa Fe 2.2 with auto stop/start.

Reactions: Hutch
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
If it says your car needs the battery registering to it it's to do with the smart charging. The car needs to know there is a new battery else its charging system will have adjusted gradually over time to the deceasing ability of the old one so a reset . You can buy an obd reader but make sure its one of the pricier circa £100 that clearly says it can do the job. Easy to do or ask your dealer else the car will slightly overcharge the battery and it won't last as long. On minis at least.

Reactions: otherclive
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
When we changed the battery on our Santa Fe,2013 model,the garage only asked whether it had stop start, as the battery is different, ours didn,t but still large battery, we had ours fitted by the garage that supplied the battery,all good.Our current Santa Fe,2021, claims 7 year warranty on the battery, with stop start.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Make sure that it is a stop start battery as apparently there is a difference. We had our battery changed and they fitted the stop start battery in the Jeep and although the Jeep seem to function okay, it threw up all sorts of weird faults messages.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Make sure that it is a stop start battery as apparently there is a difference. We had our battery changed and they fitted the stop start battery in the Jeep and although the Jeep seem to function okay, it threw up all sorts of weird faults messages.
If the jeep isn’t stop start then you probably paid more for that battery than you needed to.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
If it says your car needs the battery registering to it it's to do with the smart charging. The car needs to know there is a new battery else its charging system will have adjusted gradually over time to the deceasing ability of the old one so a reset . You can buy an obd reader but make sure its one of the pricier circa £100 that clearly says it can do the job. Easy to do or ask your dealer else the car will slightly overcharge the battery and it won't last as long. On minis at least.
On VW Group cars it's as "simple" as changing the battery serial number by one digit - but that requires access to VCDS diagnostics which only dealers, good independents and enthusiasts have.

Judging by the general lack of competence I've experienced, I wouldn't rely on a dealer to recode the car properly.

Reactions: JezzerB
Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
Our current Santa Fe,2021, claims 7 year warranty on the battery, with stop start.

Wow. That's really good.

We bought our last Santa Fe as a new 20 reg. in 2019. We had frequent "low battery" announcements during the second year and our garage tested and pronounced the battery dead or at least poorly!
We had a replacement fitted under guarantee but were told that the car comes with a 2 year guarantee so we just got it in time! Having a 7 year warranty is a massive step forward.

Just as an aside my thought was that as with many other cars mine had been stored before I bought it. Previous models were built for us and shipped with the corresponding wait.

Now we have our second battery we still get "low battery" warnings at times but certainly not frequently as before. Considering that there are quite a lot of electrical bits and pieces, including "stop-start" and the driver's seat sliding back and forward when leaving or getting in, door mirrors that operate and light the floor when the car is approached etc. I suppose it's clear the battery does take a hammering.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
If the jeep isn’t stop start then you probably paid more for that battery than you needed to.
I had the battery fitted and used it for 2 - 3 months and it was picked up at the service last year. No issue with battery fitters changing battery as they admited it was their mistake. Correct battery fitted and refund given.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Wow. That's really good.

We bought our last Santa Fe as a new 20 reg. in 2019. We had frequent "low battery" announcements during the second year and our garage tested and pronounced the battery dead or at least poorly!
We had a replacement fitted under guarantee but were told that the car comes with a 2 year guarantee so we just got it in time! Having a 7 year warranty is a massive step forward.

Just as an aside my thought was that as with many other cars mine had been stored before I bought it. Previous models were built for us and shipped with the corresponding wait.

Now we have our second battery we still get "low battery" warnings at times but certainly not frequently as before. Considering that there are quite a lot of electrical bits and pieces, including "stop-start" and the driver's seat sliding back and forward when leaving or getting in, door mirrors that operate and light the floor when the car is approached etc. I suppose it's clear the battery does take a hammering.
I thought Hyundai have had a five year warranty for a long time before 2019/20. Or was it only the battery had two years?

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
Yes I fully expected a 5 year warranty to include battery but seems it doesn't.
I suppose they will claim, as with brake pads, tyres etc, a battery is subject to normal wear and tear and has a life expectancy of only 2 years.
That's utter rubbish of course. You can buy a battery from Halfords and the like that carries a 3 year warranty!
I had a Golf GT some years ago. Bought it new and sold it as 8 years old - still the original battery

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Yes I fully expected a 5 year warranty to include battery but seems it doesn't.
I suppose they will claim, as with brake pads, tyres etc, a battery is subject to normal wear and tear and has a life expectancy of only 2 years.
That's utter rubbish of course. You can buy a battery from Halfords and the like that carries a 3 year warranty!
I had a Golf GT some years ago. Bought it new and sold it as 8 years old - still the original battery
My OEM Yuasa is nearly eight years old but it doesn’t start a diesel.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
My 2014 Santa Fe, is still on its original battery, slightly slower turning over in the winter, but no stop start.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I thought Hyundai have had a five year warranty for a long time before 2019/20. Or was it only the battery had two years?
Hyundai has had a 5-year unlimited mileage warranty for decades - BUT - certain items have shorter limits either in time or mileage - I think you're right that batteries used to be only two years.

Reactions: otherclive
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Since my car has a battery approaching 8 years old I thought I’d check out Halfords prices. £98 for a Yuasa with 5 year guarantee and £80 for Halfords own with 3 year guarantee. Fitting at store or mobile £15. I can obtain a 15% discount too.

Then I checked for our little Kia Rio with stop start. Shock horror £128 plus £25 fitting. But it is AGM with good for 360000 starts and 5 years warranty. 😮 Wonder if the rest of the mechanicals would appreciate so many stop start cycles ?

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Since my car has a battery approaching 8 years old I thought I’d check out Halfords prices. £98 for a Yuasa with 5 year guarantee and £80 for Halfords own with 3 year guarantee. Fitting at store or mobile £15. I can obtain a 15% discount too.

Then I checked for our little Kia Rio with stop start. Shock horror £128 plus £25 fitting. But it is AGM with good for 360000 starts and 5 years warranty. 😮 Wonder if the rest of the mechanicals would appreciate so many stop start cycles ?
I'm wary of Halfords - their fitting price is FROM £15 and any complicated fitment is "fitting not available" - and they may not fit the same size as the OE fitment, my Touareg has a size 020 as original but Halfords suggest the smaller 019 based on registration number.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I'm wary of Halfords - their fitting price is FROM £15 and any complicated fitment is "fitting not available" - and they may not fit the same size as the OE fitment, my Touareg has a size 020 as original but Halfords suggest the smaller 019 based on registration number.
The Yuasa recommended by the website is the same size and capacity as the OEM battery which is the same brand. It’s not a complicated fitment phsyically with no stop start and very few “smart” things on the car. But thanks for the info, I will look into it further. It goes in for a service next Monday so May ask the garage their price, although they have just given up the Subaru franchise and it’s service record will not be uploaded to Subarus electronic database. Better scan the invoice into the ether.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts