Fitting a radio

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
I have not got a radio come CD player fitted in the van, only a free standing one but was thinking I may bye a second hand car radio with CD player and would like a USB port if I can find a cheep one on ebay.

Now what I need to know is it easy to fit one in the van, say in a cupboard, they seem to come without the speakers, so would have to get them as well.

Reg and Pat

PS. or should I just stick with what I have.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
In our house DIY stands for Destroy It Yourself. If there was a choice for me between allowing OH to cut any holes in the van to fit anything or simply sticking with the freestanding radio; I would immediatly hide all sharp tools and ply him with whisky until the idea went away. If this didn't work I'd duck tape him to a chair. Hope my answer to your question is coming through clearly. On the other hand you may be very competant and safe with tools of mass destruction.

mel

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
i would stick with what you have to fit is not to hard but a live feed is neede and can be a cause for flat batterys.You would also need to cut holes for speakers you can get a cheap one from aldi or argoss,the free syanding can be moved to the awning if needed.

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
we had a free standing cd radio player and glad of it for when outside using barbi etc was able to relocate to the awning

and not have to play it so loud as you would if it was inside the van allowing others to live in piece

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Well I think this is matter of choice.

Reg you dont say what van you have as vans today do already have the wires somewhere hidden away in the front lockers left or right at the front if they are there then 50% of the job is done.

As I said dependant on the age you could have speakers in there somewhere.

I waited until Aldi came up with thier radios and bought one of thiers

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
If you do then note many require a switched feed that simulates the cars ignition key/switch.

Without it these radios continuously take power and I had one that quickly flattened the battery; and that was as the van was delivered! I simply split the feed taking one via a neat switch, then problem was cured.

Oct 30, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

JTQ has a good point. These radios do generally require a permanent live supply to power the clock and memory etc. I have (after many trips) just worked out that my self fit was wired to a permanent Live (as it would be in a car) and it was slowly draining my battery. I have now fitted a flush in line switch with an LED indicator so the radio is switched off from the Live circuit when not being used i.e. over night etc.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts