Fitting Air Con to Buccaneer Commodore (2020)

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
Hi All
We are considering having air con fitted to our relatively new-to-us Commodore 2020 before we return to Continental touring. We are leaning towards the Truma Comfort. (The biggest Truma with the heating function) The unit is usually fitted in place of the omni-vent, however, in our 'van the omni-vent is incorporated in the plastic surround which surrounds the long roof window over the front lounge. I would be grateful for advice/information from anyone who has had the air con unit fitted.and as what happened with the plastic surround. If we do go ahead with air con we would have it linked to the Alde 3020HE heating and we would be interested to hear from anyone who has had this modification, too..

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
It seems that you have asked the same question on FB plus other forums? Not everyone owns a Buccaneer and I don't think anyone on this forum except us has a Buccaneer?

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
It seems that you have asked the same question on FB plus other forums? Not everyone owns a Buccaneer and I don't think anyone on this forum except us has a Buccaneer?
Yes I have posted on several sites. Surely that is what they are for - sharing of of knowledge. Sorry if I have offended you in some way.

Reactions: JRT and Hutch

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Yes I have posted on several sites. Surely that is what they are for - sharing of of knowledge. Sorry if I have offended you in some way.
Posting your questions here as well as other forums and in FB is absolutely fine. More opportunities for answers for you and more chance of learning for folks on this forum. Hope you get some helpful responses.
Mel

Reactions: otherclive and JRT

JRT

May 5, 2024
Visit site
I can only really add a general comment in that we have a Trauma Aventa in the roof of a Swift Challenger.

One thing that was checked before it was fitted to this 'van and the one before it (it was swapped when we changed 'vans) was the clearance for the internal part of the unit. There had to be a certain amount around it in order for it to fit. I suspect that you may not be able to achieve this from what you describe.

You do of course have the option of the locker installed version instead. But of course you lose storage.

JRT

May 5, 2024
Visit site
Sorry about the Spanish. We are in Spain at the mo
and Google seems to think everything needs to reflect this fact

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
You have not offended me at all and I have given you the advice that you required as we had to have the modification done when we had our air con fitted.

Did my replies not have sufficient detail and if so what else do you need to know as hope I may be able to answer? Ours was done by Northam Farm in Somerset. Happy to answer any further questions regarding the fitting.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I can only really add a general comment in that we have a Trauma Aventa in the roof of a Swift Challenger.

One thing that was checked before it was fitted to this 'van and the one before it (it was swapped when we changed 'vans) was the clearance for the internal part of the unit. There had to be a certain amount around it in order for it to fit. I suspect that you may not be able to achieve this from what you describe.

You do of course have the option of the locker installed version instead. But of course you lose storage.

On the Buccaneer it has a very long surround that covers the front skylight and also the Omnivent to the rear of the front skylight. You cannot fit an air con until the surround has been removed.

There are two options. One is to replaced the surround altogether with a shorter one at a cost of about £250-£300. This then allows you to transfer the air con to a replacement caravan in the future.

The second option is for the dealer to remove the surround, cut it shorter and then replace it and this is also the cheaper option. Unfortunately we were told that then the air con has to remain with the caravan if trading it in at a later date. Second option there is only a small additional labour cost, but fitting needs ot be done by a dealer.

We still have the old surround in our garage just in case.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts