Fitting an eyelet into an awning

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We are thinking of fitting an eyelet into our awning so that we can use the Kampa Easy Puller to get the Magnum Coal porch awning onto the rail. I am unsure how to go about doing it and what is required as a total DIY noobie. Picture shows the end bit of the top of the Magnum awning and it looks a bit thin to fit an eyelet allowing the awning to take the strain as it is the same material as the roof. Please advise. Thanks

Awning rail issue.jpg

Jul 3, 2020
Visit site
I personally wouldn't take a chance of the material holding an eyelet without it pulling through,

I'd be tempted us use a length of Webbing strap, saw that to the material, in a kind of loop, reinforce stitching, around the edges of the web to create a square with stitching, then corner to coner, I would aim a long of stitch to the edging material, This should spread the load on the stitching so it doesn't tear through the material.

The eyelet can then be put through the webbing, or will the kampa easy puller be able to use the loop created rather than using an eye.

But would think very carefully before doing it.do you feel it might cause damage and material to tear, or prevent the awning from pulling through.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
The video on your link shows the eyelet fitted to a much wider channel beading than is on your awning. in my opinion, fitting an eyelet near the corner will not work as there is not sufficient strength. It could have reinforcement added which would help, but I would look to stitching a length of strong cord at the bottom edge of the beading but leaving enough clearance so it does not foul the channel. Fold the cord in half so a loop is formed protruding from the end of the awning. It would need some strong thread to stitch and I would suggest a bent needle.

Not easy to explain but my crude picture may help.

IMG_1306.jpg

John

Oct 12, 2016
Visit site
When we had an Isabella Commodore modified by Isabella to make it into a porch awning I had them add a tab with an eyelet in it to use my awning puller (long hook thingy) to pull it through the rail. I leave all the panels in my awnings. As it was I never needed it as the Isabella isn’t a heavy awning to pull through the rail. The Magnum is even lighter so not sure why you’d need that odd Kampa contrivance.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
When we had an Isabella Commodore modified by Isabella to make it into a porch awning I had them add a tab with an eyelet in it to use my awning puller (long hook thingy) to pull it through the rail. I leave all the panels in my awnings. As it was I never needed it as the Isabella isn’t a heavy awning to pull through the rail. The Magnum is even lighter so not sure why you’d need that odd Kampa contrivance.
Would arthritis and age explain why we need it? :)

Oct 12, 2016
Visit site
I did wonder. Being a fellow arthritis sufferer (hands, shoulders, hips and knees)I know where you’re coming from.
watched a couple with one of these things on site last year in Cornwall. Seemed like a lot of faffing for not a lot of gain.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I did wonder. Being a fellow arthritis sufferer (hands, shoulders, hips and knees)I know where you’re coming from.
watched a couple with one of these things on site last year in Cornwall. Seemed like a lot of faffing for not a lot of gain.
We are member os the Retired Caravanners Association and last year an elderly chap arrived at a rally on his own. He had one of those Kampa Easy Pullers and made short work of erecting his awning. Obviously he had some practice on previous occasions. We use an electric drill with screw pegs to peg down the awning. Now looking for a longer extension to connect the socket so do not have to bend down or kneel so much. Draw back is of course holding the screw peg to drill it into the ground however then very easy to remove the pegs. Got to compromise somewhere I guess! LOL! :ROFLMAO:

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
That's why we've learnt to live without an awning or porch.
We do have a canopy with windbreaks to keep the dogs contained and we use it on short breaks. Only if we are staying a week or longer will we erect the Magnum. We also have a cheap 220 air awning with no name (suspect it is a Kampa) that we use in the winter however it suffers from a lot of condensation.

Oct 12, 2016
Visit site
We are member os the Retired Caravanners Association and last year an elderly chap arrived at a rally on his own. He had one of those Kampa Easy Pullers and made short work of erecting his awning. Obviously he had some practice on previous occasions. We use an electric drill with screw pegs to peg down the awning. Now looking for a longer extension to connect the socket so do not have to bend down or kneel so much. Draw back is of course holding the screw peg to drill it into the ground however then very easy to remove the pegs. Got to compromise somewhere I guess! LOL! :ROFLMAO:
In that case I’d get Isabella to do it. They’ll add a little leather tab with a brass eyelet to the awning.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for the tip. I have now contacted Isabella.

Would guess that the postage costs would make that very expensive. If you don’t fancy doing the stitching yourself, try asking as you’re local dealer. They often keep a list of local experts in awning alterations.

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Would guess that the postage costs would make that very expensive. If you don’t fancy doing the stitching yourself, try asking as you’re local dealer. They often keep a list of local experts in awning alterations.

John
Good point, but in September we are down in Moreton in Marsh and have to go to Kidlington near Oxford for annual car serviced and MOT. Isabella is then only 30 minute drive from Kidlington.

Oct 12, 2016
Visit site

John
I know it’s sorted but out of interest we’ve found it relatively inexpensive to send even complete awnings to Isabella. The OP would only be sending the roof after all.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I know it’s sorted but out of interest we’ve found it relatively inexpensive to send even complete awnings to Isabella. The OP would only be sending the roof after all.

Surprising.

As an aside. Many years ago I bought a full Isabella Commodore. when I first went to put it up there was a panel which had not been finished, lots of stitching missing. Dont know how it could have been missed by quality control or packing. I returned it to the supplying dealer who, and you won’t believe this, told me to return it, at my expense, to Denmark. Needless to say I had a few choice words to say. In the end Isabella changed it without fuss, but without an apology. Since then, I avoid that dealer

John

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Never mind the eyelet let’s think outside the box.
Fully clean the awning rai with a small brush, pipe cleaner sort of thing .
Liberally spray silicon spray into the awning rail.
Then spray the awning bead with silicon. You will be amazed how easily even a heavy awning will pull through.

Reactions: Hutch and Ferrodo
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Then spray the awning bead with silicon. You will be amazed how easily even a heavy awning will pull through.

All very true. But nevertheless I sympathise with Buckman. Age plus ailments take a big toll on the ability to erect an awning. In the 80’s and 90’s I use to meet up with others for the weekend. We would go to Eastnor, less than half an hour away. I would leave work a little early as one does on a Friday, and be set up including a full awning by 5.30. Beer out. Looking back I don’t believe it myself now.

John

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
You might have point Dusty about cleaning the awning rail would that do the job where you put the awning skirt rail (Draught Skirt) because mine is so tiresome ..

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I have a little, awning track brush, about £1.50 to clean the track, and spray it with dry silicone , it really helps. Fitting the awning pulley thing for me would be a pain , as i am short and would need to carry extra steps to reach up. My awnings just slide in nicley. By just pulling along.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts