Five dry weeks come to an end!!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
As a keen gardener I have been really hoping for April to deliver some much needed showers and allow me to put my mosskiller on the lawn. That's now accomplished. We are not yet able to go away on spec, but that joy may arrive circa 2019. So deciding to book a short away break it's now forecast to rain most of the weekend, and at a site with no terrestrial TV coverage so guess that books and long-owned DVDs may be the order of the day, or just take in the gorgeous views. Alternatively the Royal Oak just a short leg stretch away may be our destination.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Warning...........I have Peonies in my garden and they have been there for over 30 years.
They have magnificent large flower heads and they are about to bloom.......every year without fail these blooms are promptly destroyed by torrential downpours.

Coming to West Sussex in the next few days .....bring a raincoat and brolley ;)

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Makes a change for it to be you Clive, normally it's Kev that changes the weather :whistle: .

Must say for us who have a lot of newly planted borders it's nice to have a break from moving the sprinkler around the garden every hour :cheer: .

Apr 19, 2017
Visit site
Gafferbill said:
Warning...........I have Peonies in my garden ...... ......every year without fail these blooms are promptly destroyed by torrential downpours.
Yours must be quite late ones. Just over the border in East Hampshire ours were magnificent this year, and were over by the time the rains arrived. Same with the Magnolia which in most years is ruined by late frost/and-or strong winds.
The potatoes are romping away since the rains; and the lawns are recovering after the drought.

NO rain is allowed from this Sunday for at least two weeks when we are off in the 'van :)

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Here in wet Buckinghamshire , our 4 red Peonie Bushes and a Yelow Peonie tree are in a lovey starting abloom, very light rain all day, cut and weeded the garden yesterday. Daffs all gone Blue bells are wilting. Apple tree has bloomed and the Strawberries are flowering as is the lemon tree, and Blue berry bush.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Gafferbill said:
Warning...........I have Peonies in my garden and they have been there for over 30 years.
They have magnificent large flower heads and they are about to bloom.......every year without fail these blooms are promptly destroyed by torrential downpours.

Coming to West Sussex in the next few days .....bring a raincoat and brolley ;)

........another year and the Peonies got away with it for a week.
Today they are battered to the ground :evil:

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
We've had gale force winds and torrential rain yesterday here in St Ives
It was a cold miserable day, today is much brighter but it's still very windy and cold.
I have one peony in the garden but it flowered three weeks ago, but I bet that the petals have been blown off my roses.

TRENDING THREADS