Fixed bed/Make up bed ?

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 29, 2005
Visit site
We had the same discussion, nice big bathroom, separate shower etc -v- fixed bed and no more putting away / making up, the fixed bed won and we don't regret it one bit. We like to go caravanning all year and it is so nice to get somewhere late evening, have something to eat and a few drinks and just walk down the 'van and fall into bed.

Okay maybe it may seem a little bit lazy but I'm all in favour of lazy if it makes life easier. When it comes down to it it is your personal preference and although we can all give you our preferences no one else can make that decision for you. I also think that one day you will just see a 'van and think 'thats it - thats the one for us'.

Just as a by-the-by, on one of our last trips out with our old 'van I was putting the bed away one morning twisted as I pushed and hurt my back, not only did we have to come home early but I was off work for about 3 weeks and spent a fortune visiting an osteopath.

Have fun and enjoy whatever your final choice.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Graham

We are now on our 4th van, a Bailey Vendee with fixed bed. I could not contemplate a van without a fixed bed it's grat.
Dave also got the Vendee - in fact 2nd Vendee, started off with a 2003 model and changed to a Series 5. Originally first van was a Moselle but got fed up making the bed. Its great to get up at on end of the van and wlk to the ed at the other end - I spend more time in bed than in the washroom. Bailey have relocated the battery from behind the fire to under the front seat - if only they fitted an external locker behind the fire then the additional storage would be superb.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi graham we went for a rear washroom 4 berth although there is just the two of us with the occasional grandchild we use the front bunk as twin beds and we have the side dinnett to use any time so theres no rush to strip the beds etc we like this as we don't have to clime over one another during the night to go to the loo etc we did have a double prevousley. our ideal van would be the new fleetwood volanti with fixed twin beds but the price is a bit rich for us what ever you buy hope you enjoy it as much as we do.off to spain/potugal and france for 3 months this sunday happy retirment peter

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Graham - At the moment we have a lovely first van with an end bathroom and beds to make up. When we upgrade, I will definitely pick a fixed bed as that has to be the ultimate perk for me. It keeps the van tidy, there's nothing worse than keeping the front seats made up - it looks horrible. To fall into bed or have breakfast in bed, just like home is wonderful. I find a side dinette a waste of space - there are just 2 of us and 2 dogs and we sit at the front window. As for showers - we always use site showers or if we are somewhere just for the weekend without facilities, we do without a shower and have a strip wash instead! As someone else mentioned, we find it difficult to heat up our bathroom and for the amount of time you spend in it, it seems a waste. A fixed bed is definitely the priority and as you get older, you want to make things easier for yourself and if I was in your position - a fixed bed - no contest! Have a long and happy retirement and please let us know what you decide on. Sue.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Comments are largely in favour of fixed bed. Consider you are buying a caravan where approx a third of the length you buy, store and tow is only used at night.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Comments are largely in favour of fixed bed. Consider you are buying a caravan where approx a third of the length you buy, store and tow is only used at night.
Which considering you spend approximately one third of your life in bed seems to make sense to me!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We went for a Sterling Eccles Moonstone which has a "conventional" front loung/bed area, side dinnette and end bathroom. We keep the front bed made up as a double (well over 6 ft X 6 ft) most of the time and eat/read/watch TV at the dinnette. We still have the flexibilty of entertaining by storing the bed, can have a double bed or single beds (plus two bunk beds for the grandchildren) and enjoy a large bathroom with separate toilet and shower areas. We would like a fixed bed, but would need to consider a twin axle to retain the advantages we enjoy now.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Ordered our first fixed bed an abbey ventura 317 at the Nec in Feb for delivery in June. Having had a 2 berth end washroom. I can't wait!!!

Caroline

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Great reading, this one kept me going all lunch time and now I am desperate to know what Graham went for? Come on Graham have you made your decision....and enjoy your retirement!
Hi Paul & Ruth,

Sure did get some comment!. Original was posted way back last year. Answer to your query......... rear bathroom one the day. We went for a Dethleffs DL540, quality of build, design, two good size front benches you can easily use as singles or one near "Queen" size double when made up and very, very comfortable.

Time will only tell if I tire of making it up but so far seems very quick, we use a couple of matress toppers and a duvet so in about 3/4 mins your all ready for bed. Of course stowing it all away in the morning does take a bit more time.

Best wishes

Graham

We had this dilemma and got the best of both worlds by buying a Lunar Lexon EWL, (Freelander Dealer Special from Chichester Caravans) This is a long Twin Axle 'van but has a fixed bed and end washroom, We tow it with a Vauxhall Frontera LWB diesel. The van weighs 1600kg max loaded and tows a dream. Hope this helps.

Mar 29, 2005
Visit site
Before we bought our caravan I did a lot of thinking about this issue as I knew in advance that it would be me that would be the bedmaker and bedpackeruper every day. I coudn't imagine having to think about making up a bed after a night out half cut!! and then having to pack it all away before breakfast in a hung over state, therefore we chose a Bailey Senator Wyoming. It has a lovely comfy double bed, and a full on rear washroom with big walk in shower, and we have plenty of extra space in the awning. If we argue or it gets too hot, the front also converts to a large double, so then you have the best of it all.

Hope that helps.

Apr 10, 2005
Visit site
we changed last year from a lunar LX2000 with the job of making the bed everynight.... to a 2004 Lexon ES, fixed bed single axle separate shower with screen and use the front end for lounge/diner, if the grandkids come we have 2 full size seats we throw on the sleeping bags and all can be tucked up in 5 mins flat superb without the twin axle probs

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
if you really fancy a fixed bed why not have look at the Lunar twin axle 640 EB with island bed and separate shower & toilet,the MIRO weight is about the same as a single axle Bailey Senator Indiana.

Jun 17, 2003
Visit site
Hi Graham, here's our view;

We started last year and new it had to be second hand. We thought we knew what we wanted until we started looking. What a choice!! We umm'ed and arr'ed about large bathroom against more living/storage space. (we only have room for 22ft on our drive so were limited in our choices. We ended up with a '94 Swift Corniche 15/2 with end kitchen and corner toilet/shower. Our planned usage was on 'green-field' sites (we are Motorsport Marshals) with no facilities. We have since changed our habits (after falling in love with caravanning) and now tend to always go for electric hook-up at least. So how does this answer your question? well, we always put the awning up (a cheap fan heater from Argos keeps that warm) and so we're left with having a good night with company, maybe getting a little tipsy only to find out that we've forgotten the bed!! Or maybe one of us wants to retire without forcing any one else to have to give up their seat in the 'van. Then, what happens when your partner gets up early in the morning, as I usually do, and wants coffee and some tv without disturbing my other half??

Much as we love our Corniche it does not enable this scenario... so...

what are we looking for?

which brings us back to your original question (finally I hear you say)

How do YOU use YOUR van????

Our usage has changed and we now want;

Fixed bed (never have to make it up)

Just a toilet in the van (for those nighttime trips)

Somewhere to eat (in case we don't put the awning up due to weather etc)

Somewhere to change midday (without having to close all the blinds.

Small enough to fit on our drive (under 22ft)

Plush enough as we have been spoilt by the Corniche.

so, what are we after?

at the moment the only van that seems to fit the bill is the Lunar Quasar EB. Not only is it short enough (6.70m/21'11") but also translates much more of that external into internal length (5.23m/17'2"). We'll find out more at the NEC in Feb but for us.... It HAS to be fixed bed, just fits what we want out of caravanning. but as the others have said, "horses for courses".

I'm just offering my opinions in detail for two reasons;

1) to maybe give You some thoughts...

2) to maybe enligthen any newbies that might come across this post (much as my wife and I did when we started) in order to give them some guidance in return for the excellent advice we received, either directly or by reading, from this forum.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts